other refillable pens?

jx2

Are there any rollerball or marker-type tip pens that are refillable with bottled ink? I would like to use some of my fountain pen ink in other pens as well.

I have a couple of Staedtler Lumocolor pens that are refillable. I asked the dealer about this, he said that if I lived in Germany I could get the refill ink system for them. I don't think fountain pen ink would work in these anyway, but it got me to thinking...

Has anyone tried to refill any other types of pens?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anne-Sophie

• Sidney

• kissing

• saintsimon

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any rollerball or marker-type tip pens that are refillable with bottled ink? I would like to use some of my fountain pen ink in other pens as well.

I have a couple of Staedtler Lumocolor pens that are refillable. I asked the dealer about this, he said that if I lived in Germany I could get the refill ink system for them. I don't think fountain pen ink would work in these anyway, but it got me to thinking...

Has anyone tried to refill any other types of pens?

Hello JX2 - welcome to the nuthouse! :)

I believe Monteverde makes a pen called the MegaBall that makes use of bottled ink.

Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!

WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255

I have been known to pull the feed out of Pilot Precise V2/V5 Rollerballs and put my own ink in them ;)

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

The Borghini Ink-O-Sphere, Yafa Cartridge Rollerball, Lyra Calypso, Pelikan Roller, and Kaweco Ink Roller are the ones I can think of. They take fountain pen cartridges whereas the Mega Ink Ball includes a converter to draw ink from a bottle.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." - Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

GB Borghini company refillable rollerball point : the StiloSfera (a.k.a. Ink-O-Sphere in the U.S.).

"The Ink-O-Sphere combines a high technology .7mm ceramic writing sphere with a precision housing, for long life and consistent writing characteristics. A special ink feed system was also developed, patterned after an oversize fountain pen feed, with large area overflow combs. Unlike other refillable rollerball systems, the use of a capillary feed system (instead of a porous medium system) insures reliable flow characteristics and allows efficient change of ink colors. It also offers an extended life in the event of long periods without use.

The Ink-O-Sphere uses standard international-size ink cartridges and can also be used with a standard ink converter." (This is from the website.)

here is the link http://www.tryphon.it/pens/borghini/catalogo.htm

The distributor in the U.S is Giovanni Abrate

At http://www.pendemonium.com/

Click writing instrument then pelikan then rollers

"The Pelikan Roller has a translucent colored barrel with black matte cap and clip. Lightweight, with a ribbed gripping area for hours of comfortable writing. Most fun is that these pens use standard Pelikan short international cartridges (or other standard short international cartridges) or a Pelikan converter for bottled inks, so there is a wide range of ink colors available." (from the website.)

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

The Lamy 'balloon'

http://www.lamy.com/product_images/product/big/311_balloon_of_g.jpg

pic by Lamy

The Lamy 'balloon'

pic by Lamy

Where do you get those????

Wow!!!!!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Spiffy!

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

jx2,

In addition to the Pelikan pen that Anne-Sophie suggested at www.pendemonium.com, they also carry a roller pen made by J. Herbin, called the Stylo-Roller. The Stylo-Roller accepts standard short international cartridges, or if you prefer, it also accepts a standard international converter.

Go to the Pendemonium web site: www.pendemonium.com

Click on Writing Instruments

Then click on Miscellaneous pens

The Stylo-Roller is listed under "Other Miscellaneous New Pens," closer to the end of the page.

I liked this pen, so I looked into purchasing it, but they are out of stock right now. However, Sam at Pendemonium is amazingly nice, and very responsive to e-mails. You can request that she contact you when they are back in stock.

I hope that this helps.

Annette

This above all: to thine own self be true.

actually...im gonna try that right now.

I have a used-up Pierre Cardin Rollerball cartridge...i'll try putting Quink in it~

*runs off*

by the way:

The Lamy 'balloon'

pic by Lamy

I was at the department store today, and saw them. I didnt know they were actually fountain pen refills!! Im gonna check them out tomoro!

If you live in Australia - I saw them at MYER (formerly known as "Grace Bros" in Sydney)

Edited by kissing

*MIRACLE*

ok...

i pulled out the top section of the rollerball that has the ballpoint attached and unsuccessfully tried to fill the little opening with Quink using a pipette....

Didnt work, so i tried dipping the fibre feed of the ballpoint into the ink bottle - THEN I ACCIDENTLY DROPPED IT IN. :o

After emptying the ink into a different container, i got the ballpoint section out, and i tried writing with it.

It wrote brilliantly and smoothly like a brand new rollerball!!

I'm not sure whether it was the Quink i was writing with or whether dropping it in the ink well caused the dry rollerball to become wet again and work. But it certainly was interesting~

I'll keep using the rollerball i thought had run out and see how long it lasts. /:)

[EDIT]

The rollerball dried out in 10 seconds. I chucked it in the bin :bonk:

Fountain pen ink on ordinary rollerballs - unsuccessful so far :(

Edited by kissing

WOW. This is a great forum.

Thanks for all the info and for encouraging my habit.

Now, more pens that I must have!

The Borghini Ink-O-Sphere, Yafa Cartridge Rollerball, Lyra Calypso, Pelikan Roller, and Kaweco Ink Roller are the ones I can think of. They take fountain pen cartridges whereas the Mega Ink Ball includes a converter to draw ink from a bottle.

Hi Sydney,

Would you mind giving us a rewiew of the ink rollers you mentioned in your post?

Hi Sydney,

Would you mind giving us a rewiew of the ink rollers you mentioned in your post?

I have never bought or used any of them that I mentioned. I have thought about buying a couple of them before, but I like nibbed pens better. The Borghini Ink-O-Sphere and Yafa Cartridge Rollerball are the same pen. I don't recall a review on this board, but someone did mentioned their experience in another thread (try searching for the Yafa name). Someone here has also tried the Lyra Calypso too. Try searching for something like airplane friendly fountain pens.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." - Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

Thank you Griz!

After some searching, I found in a thread called Nibless Bottle Feeders a Pelikan Roller experience, a Lyra Calypso mini review, and a post where I found a Pelikan Roller review on another web site.

I found the thread in Chatter. I think it and this one need to be in Writing Instruments.

Edited by Sidney