factory imprint question on 146 144 green striated FP

berkeleyshanghai

I bought a 144 green striated the other day and notive a small "JB" imprint on the filler knob along with 144 and F. If 144 and F were at 12 oclock and 6 oclock respectively, then the "JB" is at 9 oclck.

I was told by the seller this is some kind of factory engraving. I have never seen this on a green thus far. Perhaps some of you can clue me in. Thanks!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• niksch

• berkeleyshanghai

• piscov

• jar

Could you show us a photo of the pen?

Would love to see it!

Matt

Edited by meiers

I bought a 144 green striated the other day and notive a small "JB" imprint on the filler knob along with 144 and F. If 144 and F were at 12 oclock and 6 oclock respectively, then the "JB" is at 9 oclck.

I was told by the seller this is some kind of factory engraving. I have never seen this on a green thus far. Perhaps some of you can clue me in. Thanks!

I have a 146 green striped but I don't have the JB engraving.... maybe a personalized engraving...??

Juri

The New Best Limited Edition fountain pen store... ckick here:

The Pen Lover Boutique

I have an 146 green striated that i bougth in UK that has the same JB in the same positions and that i think is a factory engraving also, because its the same letter Type and the same size as EF. I also have another Green striated tha as an "*" on that position and i also think that is a factory marking but dont know what it stands for.

Will post pictures in weekend.

Edited by piscov

Best regards
Vasco

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w580/Vasco_Correia_Pisco/INGENIVM-PC/Avatar/simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

I have an 146 green striated that i bougth in UK that has the same JB in the same positions and that i think is a factory engraving also, because its the same letter Type and the same size as EF. I also have another Green striated tha as an "*" on that position and i also think that is a factory marking but dont know what it stands for.

I have a green strpey vintage 144 g but it has no marks other than the f on the other side.... i total novice so what does the g mean in 144 g ( i presume green) and the f ( i presume fine) do you mind me asking how muuch you paid as im researching the value of my pen

cheers

I have a green strpey vintage 144 g but it has no marks other than the f on the other side.... i total novice so what does the g mean in 144 g ( i presume green) and the f ( i presume fine) do you mind me asking how muuch you paid as im researching the value of my pen

cheers

The "g" refers to "Grand".

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

cheers

This letter code refers to the finish. According to the 1936 MB catalogue:

G = High Gloss (glatte Ausfuerung)

S = hatched / guilloche chased pattern (schraffiert)

E = engraved rose pattern (rosenmuster)

PL = Black & silver striated (Platinschwarz)

P = Black & Pearl (Perle)

K = Short version (Kurz)

These codes are commonly seen on 12x and 13x series pens, it seems that G is the only one that survived into the 1950s. I can find no reference to JB, but I wonder if the J might actually be the fishhook-like symbol that indicates an oblique, and B means broad. I have a couple of MBs with two nib size stamps, indicating to me that possibly the nib had been replaced and the filling knob remarked. I've also have a 14x pen with a * on the knob, and cannot find a reference for that either.

Edited by niksch

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

cheers

This letter code refers to the finish. According to the 1936 MB catalogue:

G = High Gloss (glatte Ausfuerung)

S = hatched / guilloche chased pattern (schraffiert)

E = engraved rose pattern (rosenmuster)

PL = Black & silver striated (Platinschwarz)

P = Black & Pearl (Perle)

K = Short version (Kurz)

These codes are commonly seen on 12x and 13x series pens, it seems that G is the only one that survived into the 1950s. I can find no reference to JB, but I wonder if the J might actually be the fishhook-like symbol that indicates an oblique, and B means broad. I have a couple of MBs with two nib size stamps, indicating to me that possibly the nib had been replaced and the filling knob remarked. I've also have a 14x pen with a * on the knob, and cannot find a reference for that either.

thanks for the info is there any other querky marks or features of this pen?

am

One other possibility is a stamp related to warranty work. Long, long ago and far, far away in a town that was called Ft. Madison on the world called Iowa, when a pen was returned for warranty work the craftsman that repaired it placed a discreet mark to show who had done the repair.

I am surprised none who have replied knows the answer to your query!

The JB imprint stands for Jawahiri Brothers, the exclusive importers of Montblanc pens to India back in the 1950s. This pen was therefore an import to India.

The JB imprint stands for Jawahiri Brothers, the exclusive importers of Montblanc pens to India back in the 1950s. This pen was therefore an import to India.

Wow! really? that is a nice nugget of information. I am curious about Jawahiri Brothers, do you have more information?

Regards,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Dear Niksch,

That listing convention doesn't apply to pens that came later. Prewar long window 139 is marked L 139 on the filler knob. The Post-War 139 pens are marked L 139 G. There were 126S and 126G sure, but you can only do S on hard rubber pens. All the 13X series were all smooth pens.

Best explanation I have seen is the the in 149 G stand for Gold. Same word in English as in German. After the war, people all wanted solid gold nib pens. THe very first batch of pens were not solid gold. I have a transitional 136 pen that is all celluloid, short cap and short window, 3 gold bands, marked 146, and had an alloy nib. I bought the pen with box and papers, so I am fairly sure it came like this from factory. The 146 G transitional pens had 14C nibs.

The Grand answer someone gave makes no sense. MontBlanc was German back then, did you mean GroB (gross)? I have a couple 142Gs to show you.

That listing convention doesn't apply to pens that came later.

To have been more clear, what I should have said is that I believe the G is a holdover from this earlier marking convention, and the rest of convention did not survive past WWII and into the 50s. I still maintain the G is for High Gloss, and disagree about 'gold'...as I do about 'grand.' I'll be happy to entertain this should some documented reference be produced.

I stand corrected on the 13x. I was indeed looking at a catalogue advertisment for a 12x pen.

The 146 G transitional pens had 14C nibs.

I believe you have misspoken here. There is no such a thing as a transitional 146, as the 146 was a completely new model of pen. I agree with your observations of the transitional 136 and have had numerous transitional 136s and 134s that match your description.

Edited by niksch

Thank a Veteran.

My doubt on JB is now cleared but i still do not know wath "*" means on the filler knob of a MB 146 Green striated whith Masterpiece writen on cap band.

Picture

I also have a MB 144 long ink window whith steel nib, older feed (134) and section whithout junction that does not have G after 144, so i am tending to believe that G has something to do whith gold and not gloss, as the celluloid is just like all other but whith long inkwindow.

I believe this was one of the first MB 144 made.

Pictures

Am i correct?

Best regards

Best regards
Vasco

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w580/Vasco_Correia_Pisco/INGENIVM-PC/Avatar/simbolo-e-nomesmall2_zps47c0db08.jpg

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

I also have a MB 144 long ink window whith steel nib, older feed (134) and section whithout junction that does not have G after 144, so i am tending to believe that G has something to do whith gold and not gloss, as the celluloid is just like all other but whith long inkwindow.

I believe this was one of the first MB 144 made.

This pen has a replaced nib and feed. The 14x series used 14C nibs. I've got 142s, 144s, and 146s all with the 'G' and without the 'G', but all with 14C nibs,

Thank a Veteran.

The 042 and 042-G may provide some indication.

I'm likely to be all screwed up. Won't be the first time, and won't be the last.

I guess I can buy the 'gold' explanation for the third tier 344 pens, and even your sub-brand Monte Rosa example.

I just don't get why pens marked 14xG and a 14x, as with the ten or so I have sitting in front of me right now, would all have 14c nibs. Your argument would hold that the 14x pens (without the G) would have steel nibs, and the 14xG pens would have 14c nibs.

Only one of my four 50s 149s has the G marking.

Edited by niksch

Thank a Veteran.

The 042 and 042-G may provide some indication.

I'm likely to be all screwed up. Won't be the first time, and won't be the last.

I guess I can buy the 'gold' explanation for the third tier 344 pens, and even your sub-brand Monte Rosa example.

I just don't get why pens marked 14xG and a 14x, as with the ten or so I have sitting in front of me right now, would all have 14c nibs. Your argument would hold that the 14x pens (without the G) would have steel nibs, and the 14xG pens would have 14c nibs.

Only one of my four 50s 149s has the G marking.

Well my one true love in fountain pens are the Sheaffers, and if there is one distinguishing characteristic to Sheaffers it may be that naming consistency was interpreted liberally.

:roflmho:

My vintage green striated 146 does not have "JB" or any other marking on the filler knob other than "146." Photos appear in the 60th anniversary thread, above.

Fred