A Writer's Toolkit

I wrote up a short article about my "writer's toolkit" for Sequential Tart (the webzine I'm affiliated with) explaining both my digital and analog writing tools and why I've chosen them. I link to a few reviews of products written by some FPN regulars, pimp my favorite pens and paper, and give FPN a shout out in the Links to Visit section.

Make With The Clicky.

Katherine Keller

Culture Vultures Editrix

Sequential Tart

(A webzine by women who love comics and pop culture.)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kadymae

• someonesdad

• dizzypen

• bardharlock

I always have a pen (usually a fountain pen) and a small notebook in the pocket of my shorts (I wear them all year round). The notebooks aren't anything special -- they're easy to make from ANSI A sized sheets of paper. I cut the paper into fourths, then fold them in half. I do the same with a sheet of card stock for the cover. They then get stapled together and I wind up with a 2.75" by 4.25" little notebook for the pocket. They work well, cost maybe a nickel each, and are always with me. I've given a number to other folks and they always comment about how useful they are. Sometimes I'll print lines on them with the laser printer, but I usually just like blank pages.

Loved the article. Thanks for the link and your work. I am totally stealing some ideas.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

I've always been a bit suspicious about Google Docs because of their T&Cs which suggest that they can use materials you upload for whatever they want.

Great read though. I'll have to pick up one of those Page Ups.

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

Great read though. I'll have to pick up one of those Page Ups.

We should arrange a FPN group buy of these to reduce shipping costs. Perhaps we can get them with the FPN logo?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Very cool article. I love the Circa system. I make my own journals with the hole punch and disks, but with HP 32 lb paper.

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

If you're going to carry a thumb drive around with you (and yes, I know you suggested Google Docs in the article, but here's an alternative) you might want to check out Portable apps. Basically it's a set of applications for Windows that are fully portable. They don't need to be installed to use them, and they are free. You can download individual apps if that is what you want, or the full suite. They include Open Office and Abiword. Portable apps

Z.

If you're going to carry a thumb drive around with you (and yes, I know you suggested Google Docs in the article, but here's an alternative) you might want to check out Portable apps. Basically it's a set of applications for Windows that are fully portable. They don't need to be installed to use them, and they are free. You can download individual apps if that is what you want, or the full suite. They include Open Office and Abiword. Portable apps

Z.

Thanks for the heads up on Portable Apps. If it's not Windows Only, it really would be a great solution.

Katherine Keller

Culture Vultures Editrix

Sequential Tart

(A webzine by women who love comics and pop culture.)

Scrivener on my MBA

Circa

Whatever fountain pen is available and in a pen wrap (though there are a few of them that I don't take out of the house)

Kindle DX for reading research PDFs and notes, etc.

Giant coffee or iced tea.

(Sometimes, in lieu of my MBA, I'll take my Alphasmart Neo. In that case, it's just write and write and write... :D )

Edited by Tricia

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

I always keep a 3 x 5 card and a pen (preferably a fountain pen) in the breast pocket of my shirt. When the card is full of notes, I copy anything that needs to be saved to my journal, date the card, file it away, and replace it with another. The trick is always have someplace you can write a note to yourself.

Nice article; thanks for the link. Is a Pelikan Future similar to a Lami Safari?

Edited by jbn10161

JN

Nice article. I second whoever just mentioned Scrivener- I absolutely adore that program, and while I've been using analog methods more since succumbing to my fountain pen addiction, I still recommend Scrivener to any Mac user who writes, whether it's term papers, PhD dissertations, fiction, whatever. The options it offers for integrating informational links, notes about characters or settings, storyboarding and the actual word processing part of the writing process can't be beat, as far as I'm concerned, and the price is very reasonable. Big thumbs-up for Scrivener here; I'm hoping to do NaNoWriMo this year, and I fully intend to use Scrivener for my work when I'm not using a notebook and pen.

http://www.faustianslip.com/hillel-quote.gif