Parker cartridge compatibility

photo-art

If Sheaffers can take International Shorts...wouldnt that mean pens that take International shorts can take Sheaffer refills?

Perhaps not ?

Hi,

No because the nose of a Sheaffer cartridge is too fat.

Cross can only take Cross cartridges since the nose is so much smaller than Parker, Lamy's or Aurora's.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• 6 years later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• photo-art

• kissing

• Khun_Tilt

• OldGriz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've solved my own problem. I found a pharmacist who was willing to sell me a cheap syringe (meant for inter-muscular injections). The other kind of needled syringes require a doctor's prescription where I live.

Wow, tough laws. Surely you can get a syringe with what's called a "drawing-up" needle. These are blunt needles, totally safe. You cannot accidentaly needle stick yourself. As the name says, they are designed for drawing up liquids. Most commonly used by everyday people for refilling printer ink cartridges.

Cross and Lamy cartridges do fit Parker quite nicely.

Does this mean that Parker cartridges will fit a Lamy?

Thanks for that suggestion; I can verify that a Slim Cross cartridge fits inside my Parker 45 nicely.

If a Lamy cart fits a Parker pen, that does not mean a Parker cart will fit the Lamy pen. Even if the size of the cartridge opening is the same, you then need to have the body of the cartridge fit inside the pen. I don't know which cartridges are longer, Parker or Lamy. It wouldn't surprise me if worked one way but not the other. It wouldn't surprise me if it worked in some Lamy models but not others (unless all the Lamy cartridge pens are basically the same size/design as the Safari). If you can get your hands on a Parker cartridge, it probably won't hurt to fit it to the section and then see if you can screw the barrel on, as long as you don't try to force anything.

Furthermore, Sheaffer cartridges only fit Sheaffer pens, and the only cartridges that Sheaffer pens take are Sheaffer cartridges.

Pendemonium and The Writing Desk have good lists of cartridge compatibility.

Aurora, one end of Levenger long (not short!), and Parker Quink cartridges are interchangeable in Aurora and Parker cartridge/converter ("c/c") pens. No other cartridges fit in those pens.

Lamy cartridges and c/c pens are uniquely proprietary outside of the German-speaking world. A German-speaking company makes independent, Lamy-compatible cartridges, sold by German-speaking retailers.

Pilot/Namiki cartridges and c/c pens are uniquely proprietary.

Sailor cartridges and c/c pens are uniquely proprietary.

A. T. Cross cartridges and c/c pens are uniquely proprietary (but the ink inside is from Pelikan).

Platinum (Japanese; not the British Platignum) cartridges and c/c pens are uniquely proprietary, right?

I think everyone else's cartridge shape (and corresponding c/c socket) is called "international." There are "short international" and "long international" cartridges; some pens take only short, while other pens take either short or long.

Early S. T. Dupont models take Parker cartridges, but later models use "international" carts. I think there are some other brands that switched cartridge types, perhaps Montblanc? And there is at least one recent Sheaffer model that is designed for "international" cartridges rather than the traditional Sheaffer cartridge, but I don't remember which model that is.

As usual, the devil is in the details. I wish my memory was good enough to remember them all!

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

• 1 year later...

Can't you fill an empty cartridge with a syringe in any color you want?

Ron

Hi, Ron:

I agree. I'm in the process right now of doing something a little out of the ordinary.

Having had a couple of Parker Duofold rollerball pens for awhile now (a Jade International, and a Pearl with Black Stripe International), I decided recently to convert them to fountain pens. I ordered a nib assembly from John Mottishaw, and it fits the rollerball barrels just fine. Neither the Parker long cartridges nor the Parker converters fit, however, because the gizmo at the bottom of the barrel that holds the rollerball refill in place takes up too much space to accommodate either a converter or a long cartridge!

Knowing this, I decided to take matters into my own hands and "modify" a Parker long cartridge by cutting it (yes, cutting it) to make it fit. After snipping maybe a half an inch off the end of a long cartridge with an Xacto knife, I applied a little hot glue to the gaping hole, waited until it set, and then filled the cartridge with ink using a cheap plastic syringe.

Filling the cartridge was a little messy, so I decided to order a seemingly better syringe from Goulet Pens. The tip of the syringe they sell resembles the "mosquito" filler that comes with some Visconti pens. I plan to fill a bunch of empty, modified, Parker long cartridges with some sample inks and swap out the cartridges whenever I feel like it. Once I've snipped, emptied, and cleaned each cartridge (yes, I'll save the ink), I can fill the cartridge and seal it up with hot glue without having to break the seal at the feed end of the cartridge.

Since I have not tried snipping a plunger-type Parker converter yet, I may just try that, too. I've already tried "snipping" a Parker piston-filler converter, and while it works as an ink supply for my Duofolds, it does not work well. Hey, trial and error!

If you're wondering if I ordered two nib units from John Mottishaw, I did not. Whenever I tire of using the Jade Duofold, I'll simply swap out the nib unit and attach it to the Pearl and Black Stripe pen! Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Don

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." (Jim Elliot, Christian martyr)

• 6 months later...

Could pelikan eldestein cartidges work with a parker, currently a have a parker vector

No as they are standard international. Your limited to what is stated above

Parker sells short Quink cartridges for their demi model duofolds which could work for you if you tire of the hot glue gun fun and fancy refilling with a syringe.

• 4 months later...

Oh my, I'm glad I kept the last cartridge in my old Vector, I happen to have an old antique glass syringe with two original needles that should work just fine to fill it up with.

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

Hi, Ron:

I agree. I'm in the process right now of doing something a little out of the ordinary.

Having had a couple of Parker Duofold rollerball pens for awhile now (a Jade International, and a Pearl with Black Stripe International), I decided recently to convert them to fountain pens. I ordered a nib assembly from John Mottishaw, and it fits the rollerball barrels just fine. Neither the Parker long cartridges nor the Parker converters fit, however, because the gizmo at the bottom of the barrel that holds the rollerball refill in place takes up too much space to accommodate either a converter or a long cartridge!

Knowing this, I decided to take matters into my own hands and "modify" a Parker long cartridge by cutting it (yes, cutting it) to make it fit. After snipping maybe a half an inch off the end of a long cartridge with an Xacto knife, I applied a little hot glue to the gaping hole, waited until it set, and then filled the cartridge with ink using a cheap plastic syringe.

Filling the cartridge was a little messy, so I decided to order a seemingly better syringe from Goulet Pens. The tip of the syringe they sell resembles the "mosquito" filler that comes with some Visconti pens. I plan to fill a bunch of empty, modified, Parker long cartridges with some sample inks and swap out the cartridges whenever I feel like it. Once I've snipped, emptied, and cleaned each cartridge (yes, I'll save the ink), I can fill the cartridge and seal it up with hot glue without having to break the seal at the feed end of the cartridge.

Since I have not tried snipping a plunger-type Parker converter yet, I may just try that, too. I've already tried "snipping" a Parker piston-filler converter, and while it works as an ink supply for my Duofolds, it does not work well. Hey, trial and error!

If you're wondering if I ordered two nib units from John Mottishaw, I did not. Whenever I tire of using the Jade Duofold, I'll simply swap out the nib unit and attach it to the Pearl and Black Stripe pen! Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Don

Great. But you cut and modified the plastic cartridge whereas I cut and modified sheaffer metal squeeze converter to fit my carridge only Sheaffer Impeial iv. See here :

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/288378-what-sheaffer-imperial-is-this/

Khan M. Ilyas

• 2 years later...

Aurora cartridges are an exact fit. Levenger ink comes in long cartridges that fit Parker pens as well.

NO! :gaah: No I mean... really, no... don't do it.

I had such a hard time trying to extract a Parker cartridge from an Aurora Alpha. :wallbash: It got stuck inside the barrel when I unscrewed it (because I wanted to squeeze it a little bit to make it start). It seems like the cartridge's lower end didn't easily break and instead of staying firmly attached to the section, it did wedge into the (perhaps too narrow) barrel.

I strongly advise against using Parker's cartridge into Aurora pens.

Thanks for that suggestion; I can verify that a Slim Cross cartridge fits inside my Parker 45 nicely.

If a Lamy cart fits a Parker pen, that does not mean a Parker cart will fit the Lamy pen. Even if the size of the cartridge opening is the same, you then need to have the body of the cartridge fit inside the pen. I don't know which cartridges are longer, Parker or Lamy. It wouldn't surprise me if worked one way but not the other. It wouldn't surprise me if it worked in some Lamy models but not others (unless all the Lamy cartridge pens are basically the same size/design as the Safari). If you can get your hands on a Parker cartridge, it probably won't hurt to fit it to the section and then see if you can screw the barrel on, as long as you don't try to force anything.

I can also verify that Lamy cartridges works fine in a Parker. I haven't tried it the other way around.

Here they are:

post-142488-0-90366500-1523215186_thumb.jpg