What ink(s) are you waiting for in the mail?

dizzypen

On 8/10/2022 at 8:34 PM, Pen Ffynnon said:

Normally, (probably because none of my mail is routed through Baltimore, from the sound of things) I love the USPS (except one mail carrier. Just the one. He's a piece of work.) However, last week, I had a package coming from San Francisco (Rickshaw!) northwards to here in Washington State. Package was tracked passing my fair city--fine. I know the main hub from which all mail flows is in Seattle. Next day? Was it heading back south me-wards? Nope! Heading farther north! Heading a further 28-ish miles north to Everett. Well, odd. Next? Heading still farther north to Snohomish--another 8-ish miles farther north. Then it sat and pondered it's fate over the weekend before finally coming to its senses and coming back south.

Why the extra 72 mile round-trip? No clue.

ETA: to stay within the spirit of the thread--a bottle of Birmingham ink. Okay, a couple bottles. All right, a few. Less than 25, anyway.

A few years ago I had a package sent from Europe that after it got through US Customs it went the long way around to Pittsburgh (via someplace in New England).  But usually I don't have this much trouble.  Although I'd be happy to see the current Postmaster General in jail -- along with "Steve the Supervisor" (who, among other things, apparently told one of the mail carriers for my neighborhood that I lived on a one way street when I told the guy not to park on the wrong side...).

And this thread just reminded me to go check to see if the stopped mail from when we were out of town last week has been delivered.  And at ~5:40 PM EDT?  The answer is "Nope...."  :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• inkstainedruth

• PithyProlix

• mizgeorge

3 hours ago, essayfaire said:

I'm a bit in that hole right now, but it has to be safe for vintage while looking saturated enough for me.

The only blue/black I use in my vintage Pelikan 400NN is Pelikan 4001 Blue/Black, the EU recipe. It’s not as saturated as I would like. Still looking and trying different combinations in some Guinea pig pens.

Cheers - Nicholas

18 hours ago, dragondazd said:

Maybe it took a detour to ND. :D

More inks to play with I guess.

I wanted to think that...but I only opened one of the ink sample packets and I don't like any of them so far.  :(

I've only got  "Wearingeul - I am a cat" and "Inkebara - Sand" left to try.

TESTING RESULTS:

--> "Beneath the wheel" - Pale Olive green that loses all sense of shading as it dries...(FAIL)

--> "Vinta - Pamana" - Tea Orange with green sheen?! my pen runs dry...it doesn't sheen ANYTHING..even when flexed. Plus that color mix is vomitous (FAIL)

--> "Vinta - Clouds of Gray" - Very nice ink, but it's so pale that all you see is the shimmer when written with. Maybe it could be mixed with something else so I'll keep that one.

image.png

Overall...I wish I'd not bought any of them.
I think I'm just going to stick to "Sailor - Nadeshiko", "Herbin - Cacao du Bresil", "Pelikan - Smoky Quartz" and "Yoseka - Origin .01" and forget about anything else.

I've found my working set...it's pointless to keep buying ink samples hoping for something good.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

14 hours ago, Nick T said:

It’s not as saturated as I would like.

I also find many of the Herbin inks, though safe, not saturated enough. Too watery for me - if I wanted something to look impermanent, I would use pencil!

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

1 hour ago, Detman101 said:

I wanted to think that...but I only opened one of the ink sample packets and I don't like any of them so far.  :(

I've only got  "Wearingeul - I am a cat" and "Inkebara - Sand" left to try.

TESTING RESULTS:

--> "Beneath the wheel" - Pale Olive green that loses all sense of shading as it dries...(FAIL)

--> "Vinta - Pamana" - Tea Orange with green sheen?! my pen runs dry...it doesn't sheen ANYTHING..even when flexed. Plus that color mix is vomitous (FAIL)

--> "Vinta - Clouds of Gray" - Very nice ink, but it's so pale that all you see is the shimmer when written with. Maybe it could be mixed with something else so I'll keep that one.

image.png

Overall...I wish I'd not bought any of them.
I think I'm just going to stick to "Sailor - Nadeshiko", "Herbin - Cacao du Bresil", "Pelikan - Smoky Quartz" and "Yoseka - Origin .01" and forget about anything else.

I've found my working set...it's pointless to keep buying ink samples hoping for something good.

You my friend look like you are interested in novel inks and new brands. This itinerary didn't suggest "daily carry" shopping to me. :) i think you'll be back, along with the rest of us addicts.

14 minutes ago, dragondazd said:

You my friend look like you are interested in novel inks and new brands. This itinerary didn't suggest "daily carry" shopping to me. :) i think you'll be back, along with the rest of us addicts.

Yeah, you're probably right.
But I'm feeling it was a passing fancy.
I've got other things to spend money on...rather than waste funds.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

3 hours ago, dragondazd said:

Birmingham has a new ink package. Too much sheenyness for me but someone else might like the set. 

https://www.birminghampens.com/collections/sale?utm_medium=text&utm_source=attentive&utm_campaign=august-ink-bundle&externalId=YcGiz

I wouldn't want the whole set, but I do kind of like Apple Snail and Muskrat.

Waiting for bottles of De Atramentis Ebony and Emerald Green,  and for cartridges of Visconti blue and Herbin Bleu Nuit.

I just ordered three Colorverse Project inks in the Constellations series, that I've had my eye on for quite some time now. Along with those, five Troublemaker multi-shading inks. I'm wary that the hype of which those inks have been the subject is not well-deserved, but that hasn't stopped me from wanting to give them a go; however, it isn't until now that I can get all five at once (to avoid multiple lots of shipping, or having to place multiple orders each large enough to qualify for free international shipping) and at a small discount.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I went a little nuts and ordered the following some samples vials and several bottles of ink. I am also about ready to have white rabbit send/mail my inks I'd gotten from Pen and Message and Kingdom Note earlier this year. Also in the mail a bottle of Pelikan Edelstein Moonstone, Montblanc's Irish Green and Grimm. I want to feel bad about getting so much ink but, I've been good for months so meh.  The sample vials were PR Ultra Black, Monteverde Onyx and Toucan, R&K Leipziger Schwarz.

On 8/16/2022 at 10:23 AM, essayfaire said:

I also find many of the Herbin inks, though safe, not saturated enough. Too watery for me - if I wanted something to look impermanent, I would use pencil!

Can’t agree more particularly on the non-1670 anniversary and 1798 annual editions which do seem fairly saturated. The original Herbin colors for me have never had good flow or saturation. 

My package from Birmingham Pens arrived. Gorgeous inks, really carefully packaged, and I love the cork "refilling coaster" and the nib-shaped paperclip holding the paperwork. It was well worth waiting for and now I have to decide what to fill a pen with first.

3 minutes ago, Pen Ffynnon said:

My package from Birmingham Pens arrived. Gorgeous inks, really carefully packaged, and I love the cork "refilling coaster" and the nib-shaped paperclip holding the paperwork. It was well worth waiting for and now I have to decide what to fill a pen with first.

I am very curious about apple snail and how legible it is!

1 hour ago, dragondazd said:

I am very curious about apple snail and how legible it is!

Me, too! This was an order I made before the release of the inks you posted, so we're both going to be waiting to see what those might look like in person. 😀 I'm really tempted to order Apple Snail and Muskrat at some point this weekend, so.....

13 hours ago, mge01park said:

1670 anniversary and 1798 annual editions

These I have and like, but I wouldn't put them in my vintage pens.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

On 8/15/2022 at 4:36 PM, Nick T said:

The only blue/black I use in my vintage Pelikan 400NN is Pelikan 4001 Blue/Black, the EU recipe. It’s not as saturated as I would like. Still looking and trying different combinations in some Guinea pig pens.

My favorite Blue black is Bung Box 4B.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

7 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

My favorite Blue black is Bung Box 4B.

Thanks Amber. I’ll take a look at that one. 
I’m going to try mixing up some of my own with a bit of iron gall components. 

Cheers - Nicholas

18 hours ago, Pen Ffynnon said:

Back when they still had the B&M store in Pittsburgh, you could buy packs of the paperclips.  The cork coaster is a very nice gimme (there's a technical term for sticking little extras in packages but I don't remember what it is -- it's like Goulet Pens tossing in candy as a little "thank you" token to customers. [Missing Pens used to toss in a pack of Gummibears; which was lovely except for the fact that I am not supposed to HAVE stuff like that -- not after a spice drop pulled a crown off in my mouth, which did NOT, BTW amuse my old dentist ONE IOTA....]

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."