What ink(s) are you waiting for in the mail?

dizzypen

14 hours ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

Thinking of placing a large order for Akkerman inks on the Akkerman website.

Delfts Blue

SBRE Brown

Hopjes Bruin

Shocking Blue

Grean Teal? The one named like a park.

I am a bit hesitant. Since I already have 35 inks bottles, and I tend to only open 3 at a time. Then fully use, and open 3 more.

Maybe you have a TBI pile instead of a TBR... when my TBR gets too large I stop buying books for a while. ;)

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• inkstainedruth

• PithyProlix

• mizgeorge

Carpy? Meaning fish-like? Or Latin Carpe, "enjoy the pleasures..."? 

Annnd, if y'all haven't heard, Birmingham Pen has released 16 (I think it was) new hues. I've not cared much for the brand, as swatches I've seen (even in their ads) have looked kinda wishy-washy (was surrprised to see one of their 'lines' was named that!). 

But in a couple of reviews I've watched, in use they've looked great! Even inspired me to order a couple, so I'll soon be waiting for those & probably a couple or six more from the new spread. 

*sigh* It's a sickness.

~_/_/

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~

If I said I'll fix it, I will. There's no need to remind me every six months. 

~ 

1 hour ago, Just J said:

*sigh* It's a sickness.

And if there was a cure, half of us would refuse to take it.  ;) 

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

45 minutes ago, Bikerchick said:

And if there was a cure, half of us would refuse to take it.  ;) 

And I'd be one of the ones coming for a sleepover to make sure I had it...

3 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

to make sure I had it...

Which one - the cure or the habit. LOL 

[& i've got a pretty good idea already...snicker snicker.] 

'Suffering' along with ya....

~_/_/ 

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~

If I said I'll fix it, I will. There's no need to remind me every six months. 

~ 

18 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Robert Oster Motor Oil.

I keep using up samples of this - I hadn't ordered it but I have decided it's a fabulous ink!  I will soon be waiting for it in the mail...

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

8 hours ago, Just J said:

Carpy? Meaning fish-like? Or Latin Carpe, "enjoy the pleasures..."? 

Annnd, if y'all haven't heard, Birmingham Pen has released 16 (I think it was) new hues. I've not cared much for the brand, as swatches I've seen (even in their ads) have looked kinda wishy-washy (was surrprised to see one of their 'lines' was named that!). 

But in a couple of reviews I've watched, in use they've looked great! Even inspired me to order a couple, so I'll soon be waiting for those & probably a couple or six more from the new spread. 

*sigh* It's a sickness.

~_/_/

Guppy and Carnation are two of the sixteen newly released inks.

7 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

And I'd be one of the ones coming for a sleepover to make sure I had it...

:lticaptd:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Oy, oy, oy - the Sailor Ink Studio rabbit hole is now officially open!

Thing is, I have more inks and all the colors I need already, so why?

Well, Enewton recently got me comparing violets again, and I was particularly drawn by Birmingham's Violet Starling, which is very dark but nicely more blue than my regular violets (Scabiosa and Oster's Summer Storm are my most used) - so I set out to look for alternative blue-purples (assuming the Birmingham was no longer available, which I now find was a false premise!). I whittled it down to three:

Diamine Lilac Night

Oster Purple Soul

Sailor Ink Studio #650

.  .  . and once you start looking, it's so hard to look away!

So #650 can be argued to fill a niche (the Birmingham is a great hue, but the properties are nothing special), with samples of the Diamine and Manyo Kakitsubata thrown in for comparison, then, "to qualify for free postage", Ink Studio #323, which I have been looking at forever (and I only have 9,999 taupes, so white not add one more?!) and #972 which looks just ravishing after a string of "too blue" greens (Oster Moss, Tokiwa Matsu) - but wait, I forgot! I have Kobe #28 as a dark yellow-based green already! Hold the order! Oops, too late!

Oh, well, comparing similar inks is a fun part of the hobby,

. . . . . and I did restrain myself from #973, which looks gorgeous but I already got my bricks, foxes and rusts well sorted, so quite disciplined really?!

1 hour ago, pgcauk said:

Oy, oy, oy - the Sailor Ink Studio rabbit hole is now officially open!

Thing is, I have more inks and all the colors I need already, so why?

Well, Enewton recently got me comparing violets again, and I was particularly drawn by Birmingham's Violet Starling, which is very dark but nicely more blue than my regular violets (Scabiosa and Oster's Summer Storm are my most used) - so I set out to look for alternative blue-purples (assuming the Birmingham was no longer available, which I now find was a false premise!). I whittled it down to three:

Diamine Lilac Night

Oster Purple Soul

Sailor Ink Studio #650

.  .  . and once you start looking, it's so hard to look away!

So #650 can be argued to fill a niche (the Birmingham is a great hue, but the properties are nothing special), with samples of the Diamine and Manyo Kakitsubata thrown in for comparison, then, "to qualify for free postage", Ink Studio #323, which I have been looking at forever (and I only have 9,999 taupes, so white not add one more?!) and #972 which looks just ravishing after a string of "too blue" greens (Oster Moss, Tokiwa Matsu) - but wait, I forgot! I have Kobe #28 as a dark yellow-based green already! Hold the order! Oops, too late!

Oh, well, comparing similar inks is a fun part of the hobby,

. . . . . and I did restrain myself from #973, which looks gorgeous but I already got my bricks, foxes and rusts well sorted, so quite disciplined really?!

What fun.  I look forward to your observations.

On 9/16/2021 at 12:46 PM, PithyProlix said:

I'm already way past the point where I can remember what ink I have without consulting an inventory list (I can thank an aging brain for some portion of that, however). So, assuming adequate self-control, I'm off buying ink indefinitely, going cold turkey ... Unless I find a great price on something I really want ... or, likely, whatever other (probably lame) excuse I will come up with to tell myself that I just *need* to buy some more ink. 🙃 (The reality is that I am actually pretty darn happy with what I have now and plan to sell off a bit of it, even.)

On 9/16/2021 at 7:27 PM, Bikerchick said:

Hahaha. I love how you're basically giving yourself an out to break your self-imposed moratorium, even before it has started. Are we related in any way? :) 

On 9/16/2021 at 8:25 PM, PithyProlix said:

:thumbup:

You cut the most important part: "... assuming adequate self-control ..." . 😁  But, if more of those 60ml PenBBS inks with colors I really want come up at $6/pop or a good price on the TAG Stationery inks that I don't have or a great price on Diamine 150th Anniversary ink or ... or ... or ... What was it that Oscar Wilde said about temptation?

I'm saturated.

OK OK OK, so I already blew my ink buying moratorium ...

BUT BUT BUT it was only a little bit - I've been wanting it so much, it finally came up at a reasonable price, and it's just one, itsy bitsy 18ml bottle - yeah, I was going to get regardless. 

PenBBS 232 Ugly, which is based on Pantone 448 C, chosen by researchers in Australia as the ugliest color in the world, given its capability to "minimize appeal" and "maximize perceived harm". (see Does this colour turn you off?, for example) @lgsoltek has a, ahem, beautiful review of Ugly here: 

BRING ON THE UGLY!

(And back to, uhhhhh, not buying ink (?) - yes, definitely! :thumbup:)

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

15 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

BRING ON THE UGLY!

Where does one look for such beauty? Just curious...

Will work for pens... :unsure:

4 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

OK OK OK, so I already blew my ink buying moratorium ...

BUT BUT BUT it was only a little bit

4 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

BRING ON THE UGLY!

You crack me up. 😆

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

5 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Where does one look for such beauty? Just curious...

I found it on shopee.co.th - only Thailand, I'm afraid. Shopee has a presence in SE Asia and Taiwan only (maybe Brazil and Mexico too now - not sure). You *might* be able to find Ugly on Aliexpress but I've only looked at the PenBBS listings there that I considered to be reasonably priced. (Still, the lowest prices on Aliexpress are about twice the price, minimum, as my shopee.co.th supplier.)

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

6 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

PenBBS 232 Ugly

Didn't care for this when it came out, but then I discovered Muschiatto Verde.  I'll stick with that.

Add lightness and simplicate.