What ink(s) are you waiting for in the mail?

dizzypen

-Platinum Carbon Black

Yes, I finally relented and bought my first new black in 10+ years... the only other black I own is J. Herbin Perle Noire.

Update: I got it on discount from Amazon, who delivered it in only 2 hours. I wrote a couple of pages with it already, and I have to say it's very nice. It's a particularly wet ink that spreads when written with a wetish pen, even on premium paper,  but it feels magical in a dry EF pen that usually frustrates me. First impressions suggest it is a nicer shade of black than Perle Noire.

Interesting observation- it's so viscous, with seemingly little surface tension, that when I turned my syringe filled cartridge upside down the ink just ran straight out! I don't recall seeing that before.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• inkstainedruth

• PithyProlix

• mizgeorge

Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown 30ml

A new ink for me, but I trust the many years of positive reviews. Was ordering a Girologio 24-pen case from Pen Chalet and needed a little something more to get the free shipping. (after 10% coupon, $9 for the ink vs $7.99 shipping without it - a fair trade!)

An FPN friend sent me a sample vial of SBRE Brown, and I've ordered a bottle. I keep going back to it, and although I don't really do matching pens & inks, it's just so nice in my Pelikan M200 Marbled Brown. 

1 hour ago, brokenclay said:

An FPN friend sent me a sample vial of SBRE Brown, and I've ordered a bottle. I keep going back to it, and although I don't really do matching pens & inks, it's just so nice in my Pelikan M200 Marbled Brown. 

How do you like the M200? The SBRE also looks really good on a warm paper such as Fritz Schimpf Feinpost.

36 minutes ago, N1003U said:

How do you like the M200? The SBRE also looks really good on a warm paper such as Fritz Schimpf Feinpost.

I sent it to Gena Salorino (Custom Nib Studio) to have the broad nib ground to a stub, and I'm really happy with it. 

*grumble*
:angry:
Of course...Milky Ocean is available when I've already found a substitute that I'm happy with.
Prior to that it was only available when I had no money.
Every friggin time...I swear...

This is starting to remind me of a pain in the arse ex-girlfriend... 😖

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Hey Detman, 

You know what Baroque is? 

~_/_/ 

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~

If I said I'll fix it, I will. There's no need to remind me every six months. 

~ 

20 minutes ago, Just J said:

Hey Detman, 

You know what Baroque is? 

~_/_/ 

An older era artist I believe?
I'm probably wrong though...

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Those two KWZI IG inks are both ones I really like, and it's sort of a tossup as to which I like better.

I have a sample of SBRE Brown, but haven't had a chance to try it.  

The other inks I haven't tried yet, but I bought my husband a bottle of Pilot Black to use with the Vanishing Point I gave him after swapping the F nib assembly for an EF assembly from a Decimo I bought for myself, figuring it was more cost effective than buying just the assembly (yes, the Philistine, er darling husband is actually using the VP for taking work notes, after letting the pen mostly dry up -- he's had do dip the nib in water occasionally to get it to start after all this time, but at least he's using it...).  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

2 hours ago, Detman101 said:

An older era artist I believe?

Exactly!

It's when you have no Monet. 

💣

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~

If I said I'll fix it, I will. There's no need to remind me every six months. 

~ 

38 minutes ago, Just J said:

Exactly!

It's when you have no Monet. 

💣

Bwahahahaaa 🤣

That's funny....good one man...hehehe...I needed that laugh.
😀👍

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

22 hours ago, brokenclay said:

My Edelstein Golden Beryl finally arrived and I immediately put in in my M200 Marbled Brown thinking it would be perfect - alas, the Golden Beryl is too orange for the M200.  I guess I thought it would be a deeper color.  I have a lot of browns around, but I think I want something brighter than most of the ones I have.  Diamine Guitar Cherry Sunburst might work, but I have a pen I usually keep inked with that already.  

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

On 7/30/2021 at 8:53 PM, Bento said:

Aaaaaagggghhhh! Please tell me where you found the lucky orange! I am currently awaiting Iroshizuku take-sumi.

As RJS already pointed out, the ink is currently part of the summer sale and is now €7.80. Add the standard 10% discount and this translates to about CAD$10. If you're willing to forgo on the box and bottle, I'd be more than happy to ship just the ink to you in a pouch, in a padded envelop. Assuming that I can keep the total weight under 100 grams, this would bring the total of the ink plus shipping to about CAD$20. 

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

Currently waiting for:

Diamine Prussian Blue
Diamine Pelham Blue
Diamine Espresso
Pelikan Tanzanite
Pelikan Blue Black
Pennonia Csontváry-kék
Sailor 223
Sailor 162
Sailor Shikiori Shimoyo
Sailor Manyo Kikyou
Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün

I've been waiting for some of these for almost two months, so you all know who I ordered them from. 😤

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

18 hours ago, essayfaire said:

I have a lot of browns around, but I think I want something brighter than most of the ones I have.

The only other brown I have is Waterman Absolute Brown, and SBRE is much brighter, without being orange. I hope that helps.

On 8/23/2021 at 1:44 PM, NumberSix said:

Just placed an order with Vanness:

• SBRE Brown
  • KWZ IG Blue-Black
  • KWZ IG Blue #3

Ugh. Just checked the tracking on this order. It was supposed to be delivered today. Turns out it's been sent back to Vanness for "incomplete address". I am sure the second line of the address got missed somehow, and it's essential for the Fetch package delivery service. Annoying, as I use that saved address all the time with Apple Pay, including with Vanness before now. 

Oh, well, it's not like I need those inks right now. I can wait a bit longer. . .

Scribo Arancio Di Sicilia. I'm waiting for it for sure..............to get in stock somewhere in the U.S. with reasonable shipping. Been months!

i hope no rules broken as it's not in the mail. Sorry. 

19 hours ago, essayfaire said:

I have a lot of browns around, but I think I want something brighter than most of the ones I have.

Although Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-guri is probably my favorite brown, and it is definitely NOT bright (indeed, when put on heavy it is almost black), I also have some pleasant, more neutral, perhaps almost bright browns that might come under consderation for one seeking a"brighter" brown.

• Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown is to me a nice warm brown, fairly bright without being too red or yellow.
  • Diamine Ancient Copper, has, to my eye, a similar brightness as 4001 Brilliant Brown, but has a very definite red tone, like old copper... :)
  • Pilot Iroshizuku Tsukushi and
  • Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz are nice shaders that range from a darker medium brown, to a much brighter brown. The variation can be lovely in a broad and/or wet pen,
  • Pilot Iroshizuku Ina-ho is also an interesting light golden brown (that some folks perceive as green, and to my eye it clearly has a green leaning but I would call it brown)

Just my input on the above comment, and I would encourage anyone exploring medium to bright browns to try them if the opportunity arises.

On 8/28/2021 at 2:31 PM, N1003U said:

Although Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-guri is probably my favorite brown, and it is definitely NOT bright (indeed, when put on heavy it is almost black), I also have some pleasant, more neutral, perhaps almost bright browns that might come under consderation for one seeking a"brighter" brown.

• Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown is to me a nice warm brown, fairly bright without being too red or yellow.
  • Diamine Ancient Copper, has, to my eye, a similar brightness as 4001 Brilliant Brown, but has a very definite red tone, like old copper... :)
  • Pilot Iroshizuku Tsukushi and
  • Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz are nice shaders that range from a darker medium brown, to a much brighter brown. The variation can be lovely in a broad and/or wet pen,
  • Pilot Iroshizuku Ina-ho is also an interesting light golden brown (that some folks perceive as green, and to my eye it clearly has a green leaning but I would call it brown)

Just my input on the above comment, and I would encourage anyone exploring medium to bright browns to try them if the opportunity arises.

I actually have a number of these!  The funny think about  Ina-ho is that I never would have bought it but was given some as a sample.  I've decided it is the perfect ink for my Grandfather's vintage Parker, but I think of it as more warm yellow than brown or green.

It seems I will have to track down a sample of SBRE Brown; ergo, that is now what I am waiting for in the mail.  Might as well try Hopjesbruin and Faber-Castell Cognac at the same time.

So I am waiting for three.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

On 8/28/2021 at 10:29 AM, Bikerchick said:

I've been waiting for some of these for almost two months, so you all know who I ordered them from. 😤

😆

Four bottles of Montblanc Lucky Orange ink are due to be delivered by DHL today, all ‘free’ — two bottles on account of a long since finished promotion quite some time ago, which somehow failed to be included in every damn shipment organised by the staff there, in spite of continual reminders and complaints, eventually escalated to a DEFCON 1 situation; and two extra complimentary bottles as a gesture of goodwill or apology. I'll believe it when I finally have them in my possession! 😂

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.