What ink(s) are you waiting for in the mail?

dizzypen

Sailor Kujukuri Coast limited edition inks: Hamanasu, Katagaishikai, Hakkakuao and Hamachidori

Platinum Classic Ink Lavender Black

After a couple of stressful weeks of uncertainty, the inks were delivered to me in Australia yesterday! I haven't opened the bottles yet, but they all seem to be in good shape, and without the parcel having been opened up for customs inspection or quarantine as far as I can tell.

I even managed to get this in writing from Rakuten Global Express today:

We now acknowledge that shipment containing "ink" are accepted by Japan Post and Australian customs.

These are the Sailor inks I got:

fpn_1553658649__sailor_kujukuri_coast_in

To celebrate the successful outcome, I think I'll offer to add some sample vials of those inks to the PIF/surplus goodies box doing the rounds in Australia. :D

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• inkstainedruth

• PithyProlix

• mizgeorge

The bottle of Noodler's Aircorp Blue Black I ordered on Amazon arrived just now.

One side of the bottle label and the cardboard box were completely soaked with leaked ink. Luckily the warehouse wrapped the item really well inside bubble wrap and taped all around it, and managed to contain the leak.

I just don't have much luck ordering Noodler's inks in from overseas, it seems. Of well over a hundred other bottles of inks I have received from overseas in the post, I've encountered two instances of Noodler's inks leaking/spilling/being broken and getting everything soaked, one instance of a bottle off KWZ Ink leaking (but contained by the cling-wrap applied at the factory around the bottle before boxing), one instance of very minor leaking with Diamine, and none ever in over a dozen shipments of Japanese inks.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

A bottle of Jacques Herbin 1798 Cornaline dEgypte.

I already have more orange inks than I can reasonbly use in my lifetime, but I wanted to complete my set of 1670 and 1798 inks. The others have been living in my Pilot Parallel Pens and have been really satisfying to even my jaded palette. Nice flow, great shading, lovely saturation, and the fun sparkle, theyre just a really enjoyable ink to use. Though, I havent had the guts to put them in a nicer pen yet...

Edited by DilettanteG

Amazon finally managed to deliver my J. Herbin 1798 a mere two weeks after my order.

JetPens got five inks to me in two days after I got sick of waiting. Guess that will teach me to support the small business next time.

• 3 weeks later...

Awaiting 3 bottles each reportedly 3/4 full so yes, someone sucked 1/4 of the life out of the ink bottles (according to the seller!) Awaiting: Herbin 1670 Emerald of Chivor (What actually is an Emerald of Chivor? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chivor), Noodler's Bulletproof Massachusetts (Should be the designated ink of the NRA) AND Apache Sunset (Hard to comment w/o Snowflake SJW's crying racism).

Happy I plunked down one Andrew Jackson (Soon to be Harriet Tubman?) for this latest inky exploit. Looking forward to inking up and putting down some scratch!

I just ordered a couple of bottles:

Diamine Oxford Blue

Diamine Graphite

Diamine Earl Grey

J Herbin Cacao du Bresil (I guess it is time for me to explore the grey market of inks).

J Herbin Ambre de Birmanie - my first "orange" ink

Sailor Rikyu Cha

I just ordered a couple of bottles:

Diamine Oxford Blue

Diamine Graphite

Diamine Earl Grey

J Herbin Cacao du Bresil (I guess it is time for me to explore the grey market of inks).

J Herbin Ambre de Birmanie - my first "orange" ink

Sailor Rikyu Cha

Oxford blue is a great buy. Graphite goes down with too much green in it for me, but settles and dries into a nice thick grey

Oxford blue is a great buy. Graphite goes down with too much green in it for me, but settles and dries into a nice thick grey

I hope so, incidentally, I just stumbled across a picture of "Skull and roses" today. I really wish that one could have made it in this order. Oh well - that one will have to be in the next purchase.

I´m having the same caveat as you about Graphite, so I ordered a small sample bottle. I´m also afraid that I´ll find Earl Grey too blue, and Cacao du Bresil too washed out, so I´m not too optimistic. Sometimes you just have to jump in the middle of it, and possibly be pleasantly surprised.

Not the biggest fan of blue ink, but KWZ Walk Over Vistula looked somewhat nice, so I added a bottle in my shopping car while I was ordering something else... :P

I really, really like KWZ Green Gold #2 and Honey, so I hope this one will be good too!

​Samples:

• Kaweco Ruby Red
  • Diamine Matador
  • Diamine Tudor Blue
  • De Atramentis Sapphire Blue
  • Graf von Faber-Castell Cobalt Blue
  • Private Reserve Tanzanite Fast Dry

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

With a weekend 20% off sale at La Couronne du Comte (code: KingsDay2019), I've ordered a bunch more inks... Please send help...

KWZ Walk Over Vistula

KWZ IG Turquoise

KWZ IG Green Gold

KWZ Brown Pink

KWZ Honey

80ml bottle of Diamine Syrah (just about to finish my 30ml bottle)

80ml bottle of Diamine Salamander

Oof... :blush:

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Goulet Pen Co got me to order my first Colorverse set - on sale for redwood trees and redwood forest, along with a sample of Quazar. I like the cute bottles, too!

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally picked up a bottle of Platinum Carbon Black.

I was looking for a Black Iron Gall ink, and then realized that is basically what Platinum Carbon Black is.

+

I prefer deep black permament inks and Heart of Darkness can write too fat a line in many of my nibs, and Kiwa-Guro can be too anemic flowing in my dry writers.

Edited by Mongoosey

I was looking for a Black Iron Gall ink, and then realized that is basically what Platinum Carbon Black is.

I'm afraid not. Platinum Carbon Black is a pigment ink in which insoluble particles are suspended, whereas iron-gall inks do not have insoluble particles. Pigment inks can clog nibs (especially if the ink is left to dry in the pen) because of that, whereas the main hazard with iron-gall inks, as I understand it, is corrosion of metal parts (including the nib).

I'm afraid not. Platinum Carbon Black is a pigment ink in which insoluble particles are suspended, whereas iron-gall inks do not have insoluble particles. Pigment inks can clog nibs (especially if the ink is left to dry in the pen) because of that, whereas the main hazard with iron-gall inks, as I understand it, is corrosion of metal parts (including the nib).

Close enough, mate.

Iron Galls clog pens if poorly maintained or dried out as well... happened to my TWSBI Eco with Scabiosa after a short time of disuse.

Yes, there are the differences in constitution you pointed out, but they are very comparable with regards to required pen maintenance and their capacity for permanence.

And I like how Carbon Black has a wetter inkflow. It's even good for my TWSBI with which Scabiosa writes too pale a line for me.

I wonder if the R&K Sketch Ink might be a bit more delicate even though it is pigment, Lotte seems like a great black.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

An older 6-bottle Levenger set containing Skies of Blue, Blue Bahama and 4 discontinued colors - Smokey, Fireball, Always Greener and !!!!!! PINKLY !!!!!!!

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.