What ink(s) are you waiting for in the mail?

dizzypen

Rather more than I was last week... I seem to have rather a lot of deliveries coming from various European suppliers next week. What fun! 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• inkstainedruth

• PithyProlix

• mizgeorge

My latest wait ended a little while ago when I collected the mail. I've now unpacked the box from JetPens: a 50ml Robert Oster Tranquility (which I've been trying a sample of and LOVE), and a 3oz Noodler's Eel Cactus Fruit (an experiment). Now I'm letting them cool down to room temperature. :)

Two Taccia Murasakis;

Aomurasaki = blue-purple

Umemurasaki = plum-purple

along with a couple of samples and boxes of cartridges.

I don't need any more ink, I don't use red-violet much and I have a great range of blue-violet already, but I seem to be collecting a blue-violet and a red-violet from each manufacturer, and I have only had good experiences with Taacia Ukiyo-e inks so far. Also the packaging is superb!

I have a page layout all ready for the new guys! Columns are maker, blue-violet and red-violet, rows for Herbin, Diamine, Oster, Kyo No Oto (both #9 inks!) and Ink Studio already scribbled and swatched!

14 minutes ago, pgcauk said:

Two Taccia Murasakis;

Aomurasaki = blue-purple

I don't need any more ink, I don't use red-violet much and I have a great range of blue-violet already, but I seem to be collecting a blue-violet and a red-violet from each manufacturer, and I have only had good experiences with Taacia Ukiyo-e inks so far. Also the packaging is superb!

I have a page layout all ready for the new guys! Columns are maker, blue-violet and red-violet, rows for Herbin, Diamine, Oster, Kyo No Oto (both #9 inks!) and Ink Studio already scribbled and swatched!

Oo oo oo that sounds fun.

7 hours ago, pgcauk said:

Two Taccia Murasakis;

Aomurasaki = blue-purple

Looking forwards to seeing that!

I have only one Taccia ink - the Ukiyo-e Ainezu (blue grey) - it's a favourite already and paired with a Slate Grey Prera with a fine italic nib. The experience has been so positive I've been eyeing the others in the series - on my short list are the plum purple Umemurasaki and the Hokusai rusty green Sabimidori.

Also I must say the box art of the Ainezu so pretty i didn't put it away in the drawer yet. The short listing of Sabimidori is as much for it's box as the ink. Then they could sit on my desk together. :blush:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

10 hours ago, pgcauk said:

Two Taccia Murasakis;

Aomurasaki = blue-purple

I will really be looking forward to seeing this too. 

Guilt about spending more money and feeling like I already have some close colors, or I that could closely approximate them fairly easily by mixing has held me off of this group of Taccias, at least so far. That said, I am really keen on Aomurasaki. And, even though I didn't think I'd ever use black or dark grey again, mostly due to too much contrast with the page, the intriguing Usuzumi has caught my eye (see https://www.facebook.com/273937539423606/posts/1725621270921885/, for instance). I want a black or dark grey (a charcoal, I suppose) that has a soft look on the page (best shown by my old cartridge of Platinum "Pure Black" that has faded/aged to perfection over time ... but once that's gone, 'that'll be all she wrote' ...). 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

18 hours ago, AmandaW said:

box art of the Ainezu so pretty i didn't put it away in the drawer yet.

All of the boxes are beautiful and they are different for each color.  I wish they would integrate the art into the bottle itself so I wouldn't feel guilty about clutter nor throwing something beautiful away.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

20 hours ago, pgcauk said:

20220606_082851.thumb.jpg.8fa97fbf5a4520f34af852dcf670974e.jpg

20220606_082900.thumb.jpg.b0bdeda24c0719d612008ed0c5217537.jpg

The more I use Keshimurasaki, the more I appreciate Robert Oster's Summer Storm!

Thanks for the great letter!

Yes, that Pen Chalet image of Ume Murasaki reminds me of, well, Tyrian Purple, which I really like a lot but, like you, haven't found a good use for yet. Definitely think it needs a wide nib.

I got Summer Storm and Sakuranezumi within the past few months and both quickly became top favorites. I don't quite understand the reports of Summer Storm being very dry.

A nice Aliexpress coupon appeared in my inbox and, since I am very pleased what I have so far from Poezie's Morandi series, I ordered the rest that are available there, even though not all are hues I am normally attracted to.

• e173.jpg.729ba833d931b3758f0b700dfc3196ad.jpg E173 红杉 Sequoia
  • e175.jpg.9ba305098763c4d85c1f2ff614c859f1.jpg E175 淤火 Silt Fire
  • e180.jpg.0c203dcb7b377ac3e90726a21c5f5306.jpg E180 鲸云 Whale Cloud
  • e181.jpg.1976d63a4570de3ed8abd730db7fb52a.jpg E181 青明 Qingming Festival
  • e186.jpg.9c8874c4d2dd589a5cf5ff015db3c310.jpg E186 梅琦 Plum Jade [?]
  • e190.jpg.3003fdfef02105b35cd8eb6cd98310d2.jpg E190 檀纭 Sandalwood [?]
  • e193.jpg.ddb3c3d3719441836c7db1c2c7764120.jpg E193 蔓薇 Cranberry [Really?]

All 30ml bottles. Grand total after shipping & coupon = $22.35 USD which works out to about $0.11/ml - pretty great!

41 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

A nice Aliexpress coupon appeared in my inbox and, since I am very pleased what I have so far from Poezie's Morandi series, I ordered the rest that are available there, even though not all are hues I am normally attracted to.

• e173.jpg.729ba833d931b3758f0b700dfc3196ad.jpg E173 红杉 Sequoia
  • e175.jpg.9ba305098763c4d85c1f2ff614c859f1.jpg E175 淤火 Silt Fire
  • e180.jpg.0c203dcb7b377ac3e90726a21c5f5306.jpg E180 鲸云 Whale Cloud
  • e181.jpg.1976d63a4570de3ed8abd730db7fb52a.jpg E181 青明 Qingming Festival
  • e186.jpg.9c8874c4d2dd589a5cf5ff015db3c310.jpg E186 梅琦 Plum Jade [?]
  • e190.jpg.3003fdfef02105b35cd8eb6cd98310d2.jpg E190 檀纭 Sandalwood [?]
  • e193.jpg.ddb3c3d3719441836c7db1c2c7764120.jpg E193 蔓薇 Cranberry [Really?]

All 30ml bottles. Grand total after shipping & coupon = $22.35 USD which works out to about $0.11/ml - pretty great!

Oh! There are a couple of those (181 and 193) that I really like. Actually, I don't think there are any I would say no to...

15 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Oh! There are a couple of those (181 and 193) that I really like. Actually, I don't think there are any I would say no to...

I am really looking forward to these - the ones I have lean much more grey than the swatches on the Aliexpress page.

Fingers crossed, I am (tentatively) planning a mega-review of twelve of them. But first in line is a mega-review of eight 尘彩 ('Dust Color') Morandi series inks (about half-way done now but getting distracted by many other things ...).

On 6/4/2022 at 2:14 PM, dragondazd said:

So... My Vanness order was supposed to arrive yesterday but took a detour to PR on its way to OR. ....yeah. thanks again USPS.

Meanwhile my order from the big Birmingham ink sale hasn't shipped yet. Oh well. #firstworldproblems

Wait...PR? Like...Puerto Rico!!??
Geeez....I thought the USPS in my area was awful...that takes the whole cake!
:o

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

37 minutes ago, Detman101 said:

Wait...PR? Like...Puerto Rico!!??
Geeez....I thought the USPS in my area was awful...that takes the whole cake!
:o

Yeah, that's worse than where I live.  They closed the post office in the center of town, and it isn't clear if they're going to reopen it.  And of course every time you try calling the Pittsburgh Postmaster you get his boss, "Steve the Supervisor" instead -- and HE is a total jerk.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 6/7/2022 at 5:16 AM, PithyProlix said:

I got Summer Storm and Sakuranezumi within the past few months

For writing Sakuranezumi is not far from Scabiosa (?), but for watercolour work it's quite lovely.

Summer Storm got panned on here when it first came out, which increases my conviction not to follow fashion - the more I play with this color zone the more I come back to it as a great ink!

Gots my Taccias yesterday and both are stunners, Aomurasaki is regal and strong (surprisingly closer to the gorgeous Shimoyo, but a tad closer to purple and without the sheen) but the Umemurasaki is quite extraordinary, when you open the bottle the ink in the lid looks brown, then when you write with it, pinkish brown, but add water and you get apricots and greens*, which reminded me of Oster's Melon Tea! I threw away my expectations and sandwiched it on a page between that and Herbin Terre De Feu, which frame it well, but when I scanned that page it looked fuschia!

Both look best in the shady sunshine of my garden.

Murasakis, I think, are particularly susceptible to the quality of the light . . . and so am I!

Edit: Ouch, sorry, it's Ochiguriiro that dissolves into apricots and greens (a bit like Melon Tea but the other way on), while the Umemurasaki dissolves into some glorious pinks with blue edging. None of this scans well so I'll have to wait til the weekend to take some photos to give context to the scans.

Edited by pgcauk

On 6/7/2022 at 4:11 PM, inkstainedruth said:

Yeah, that's worse than where I live.  They closed the post office in the center of town, and it isn't clear if they're going to reopen it.  And of course every time you try calling the Pittsburgh Postmaster you get his boss, "Steve the Supervisor" instead -- and HE is a total jerk.

Wait...so what happens with your local mail? Is it managed in another town?

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Well, the carriers are out of the main Pittsburgh post office, I think (which is just a few miles away, but the city put in speed humps on the road it's off of recently, trying to get the truck traffic to slow down).  But I never know when the mail is going to arrive anymore (and of course have to drive to MAIL stuff).  It used to be, with our old carrier, that I could ALWAYS tell when it was his day off because the utility route people could be delivering mail at 11 AM or 6:30 PM -- whereas Dave was like clockwork (ALWAYS within about 10 minutes either side of 3:30 PM).

Wonder sometimes if I should have gotten one of the "suburban/rural" mailboxes with the red flag to put up when there was stuff to pick up (but betting that I'd find it all in the midst of the newly delivered stuff).  I had to go to the PO even when there was one in town, but it was halfway across town (about a 1/2 mile or so from my house -- so in a pinch I could have walked).  The main Pittsburgh PO is about a 15 minute drive each way, depending on traffic lights, and on busier roads that are ALSO not really level (so I'd have a hike uphill at least one direction).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 6/7/2022 at 11:15 PM, pgcauk said:

... Both look best in the shady sunshine of my garden.

Murasakis, I think, are particularly susceptible to the quality of the light . . .

This illustrates a point I've wondered about. I used to work in textiles, and we did a lot of fabric dyeing. In both our labs, we had a machine resembling a walk-up booth, where you could lay out samples and go thru a test spectrum of lighting, bright to dim, fluorescent, simulated time of day color of sunlight, night lighting, inside and out, yada yada....All to see how the material looked under the different conditions. And the color shifts could sometimes be pretty amazing. 

I've wondered if we for the most part, have developed our sundry 'favorites' based on what we see in our various 'writing nooks',  where the lighting rarely if ever changes. I'd venture, take some out into the sunlight (or the shady corner of your garden) -- you might be in for a surprise! 

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~

If I said I'll fix it, I will. There's no need to remind me every six months. 

~ 

7 hours ago, Just J said:

I've wondered if we for the most part, have developed our sundry 'favorites' based on what we see in our various 'writing nooks',  where the lighting rarely if ever changes. I'd venture, take some out into the sunlight (or the shady corner of your garden) -- you might be in for a surprise! 

'zactly - what the eye (and camera) sees varies directly with the temperature & spectrum of the light illuminating it. Violets and purples can even look green in certain warm temperature lighting, for instance. It's not only the ink, pen, and paper that have an effect on the result on the page but also the light illuminating it. (And then the light that enters the eye is subject to the makeup of the retina and visual cognition, both of which vary between individuals.) 

And then on top of that, One hates Beastly Blue, & Another just adores it. 

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~

If I said I'll fix it, I will. There's no need to remind me every six months. 

~