Platinum Taiwan is the quality the same as Japanese pens?

vans4444

I noticed today that Platinum opened a manufacturing plant in Taiwan in 1974. Do you know if Platinum pens made in Taiwan are of the same quality as those made in Japan?

The only reason I ask is because I read a FPN thread about Pilot pens made in Korea that were not at quite the same standard of quality as those made in Japan

Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vans4444

• stan

• donwinn

• PensRollei

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

While I am not all that familiar with Taiwan-produced in general, my limited experience of visiting Taiwan in 1977 causes me to think that the quality of anything made in Taiwan is likely to be fully equivalent in workmanship to anything produced anywhere.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

My experience with the Korean Pilot pens is that there is a difference easily discernable by one familiar with the standard quality of the Japanese counterparts. I have Korean made Pilot pens. It is similar to the Rollei plant in Singapore in the 70's: Was there a difference between that and the German production. Oh Yeah!. It is kind of like the difference between the Chinese fake DuPont and the real thing. Close enough to fool the majority.

All the Big Three - Pilot, Platinum, and Sailor - have (had?) overseas production facilities and I think all have (had?) a presence on Taiwan. How many or how much of the pen was actually made is anyones guess. One would need to dissect individual pens and compare them to similar models made in Japan. I'm sure in many cases parts were shipped from Japan. In my opinion, overseas production was of lesser quality and of below mid-range models. Most often one finds plated nibs on these pens.

There are exceptions, of course. I've seen gold nibs on Pilots made in India. I'm sure some of the parts were made in India. I think Pilot manufactured converters there too. Pilot has been manufacturing pens overseas for many years. They had a plant in Shanghai before WWII and I believe they produced pens in Thailand and India before the war too. Pilot and Korea have already been spoken for.

If not mistaken Platinum had overseas production in Thailand and, I believe, the Philippines (not sure on this - this may have been a few parts). Most of the Platinums from Thailand come with plated nibs. Bodies are often the same as found in Japan. A number of years ago I had a Platinum that was marked Made In Korea. Although I have never seen the model in Japan before, I think it was only assembled in Korea.

Sailor made their lower end pens in Taiwan for years as it says so on their plated nibs. They also moved later production of the Trident to Taiwan to save costs.

Has anyone ever seen a higher end Japanese model made or assembled overseas and marked as made in one of those countries? A makie or silver pen, perhaps? I haven't. That does not say they do not exist. I do not look for pens from those countries so I do not know.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Has anyone ever seen a higher end Japanese model made or assembled overseas and marked as made in one of those countries? A makie or silver pen, perhaps? I haven't. That does not say they do not exist. I do not look for pens from those countries so I do not know.

This eBay seller here is selling a Platinum 3776 that was made in Taiwan. The nib is gold plated. If it were a gold nib would that count as "higher end"?. I don't know enough about Platinum pens to know if the 3776 counts as higher end.

Edited by vans4444

This eBay seller here is selling a Platinum 3776 that was made in Taiwan. The nib is gold plated. If it were a gold nib would that count as "higher end"?. I don't know enough about Platinum pens to know if the 3776 counts as higher end.

The seller says "Issued in Taiwan," not, "Made in Taiwan."

He also notes the pen was made in the "c1970s." Although Platinum opened their Taiwan factory in 1974, that is not the case. It is not even the original model, that had a flat top and ribbed barrel and cap. The torpedo shape of pen shown in the sale was introduced in 1993. The flat nib at about that time as well. See Lambrou's FPOTW, for a chronology and photographs. I cannot believe Platinum released this revised 3776 so many years before it did so in Japan.

The pen has an unusual feed that I don't recall seeing before. Maybe I did but, just cannot recall. Platinum feeds are ribbed. This might be a less expensive type. The lucky buyer should check the finish of the trim. The gold might not be mirror polished and the engraving of the 3776 doesn't look as refined as seen on Japanese models. To me, this appears to be a lesser expensive pen marketed to Taiwan.

I shy away from auctions where the seller claims "We are collectors and pen-lovers," and knows so little about their pens. Unless, of course, I can get a super deal on something.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Thanks Stan for the really helpful reply.

I guess at the heart of my original question is a newbie worry about buying Japanese pens that are not actually made in Japan - would it be of lesser quality.

If I understand the replies the answer is yes, the quality will not be as good. However, it seems that this is largely restricted to the cheaper end of the range.

Therefore, I have to be careful where I buy the pens.

Just for clarification, I am not implying any criticism of Japanese pens manufacturers, it is just that I have become interested in pens from Japan. Living in the UK I get the impression that quality Japanese pens are more available in America than they are here, so I have to rely on the internet and eBay.

This shop looks interesting - Ujuku, it seems to have a good selection at a reasonable price (the shipping calculation is difficult to get my head around)