Sheaffer Skyboy

Dennis B

Let's discuss the Sheaffer Skyboy (and Lady Skyboy). I have just the one shown here.

http://www.parkvillepen.com/images/sheaffer/skyboy.jpg

From the 1940 and 1941 Sheaffer dated catalogs, I found that the Skyboy model was noted as new in the 8/1/40 catalog which said it was "developed particularly for the hardest of pen ordeals, aviation use." Offered for $10 ($8.75 for the slimmer Lady Skyboy) as a lever filler only in Black, Golden Brown, Gray Pearl, Marine Green, and Carmine. The clip was the standard clip but engraved with "SKYBOY".

In the 8/1/41, catalog, the Skyboy has acquired the over the top clip designed for men in uniform. The catalog mentions "Flo-Rite" fluid control and I wonder if there was really anything different in this model or if this was just marketing. Still only a lever filler, colors were reduced to Black, Golden Brown, and Carmine. There was no longer any mention of a Lady Skyboy.

As can be seen above, my Skyboy's Lifetime nib is marked 14K. When did Sheaffer start that marking and is this an orignal nib or a replacement?

I'd like to see some other colors, the regular clip, and a Lady Skyboy if you have one.

Thanks,

Dennis B

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dennis B

• gmberg

• rhodes

• Pepin

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the Skyboy was part of a larger trend in focusing on aviation, since it was the hallmark of what it meant to be "modern". The key was the non-pressurized cabin and later the minimally pressurized cabin. Across Sheaffer's line from the late 30s feeds grew as many fins as could fit, the purpose of which was to catch excess ink as low ambiant air pressure allowed the relatively high pressure of air inside the pen to push a drop or two out. I suppose having at least one pen in the line designated by the word "sky"(equiped with a many-finned feed) would be a good sales ploy.The trend culminated in Sheaffer's Triumph nib and is represented in Parker by the collector in the 51.

Gerry Berg

Hi Dennis ~ Excellent topic for a 4th of July Holiday and one to pique my interest before heading up north with the family to fish (well, sit in the water and try). And before I forget...Happy Anniversary to your fine pen business.

I have the full size model and it is identical to yours except the nib has no 14K marking. I wrote about it here:

http://munsonpens.wordpress.com/2008/03/21...kyboy-surprise/

Though I can not see your feed, mine is one of the mysterious white ones ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/sheaffer%20pens/DSC_0004-3.jpg

I do not know which nib is original, or if both are. Hopefully, someone will chime in. Have a nice Holiday Weekend

Phil

I think that the Skyboy was part of a larger trend in focusing on aviation, since it was the hallmark of what it meant to be "modern". The key was the non-pressurized cabin and later the minimally pressurized cabin. Across Sheaffer's line from the late 30s feeds grew as many fins as could fit, the purpose of which was to catch excess ink as low ambiant air pressure allowed the relatively high pressure of air inside the pen to push a drop or two out. I suppose having at least one pen in the line designated by the word "sky"(equiped with a many-finned feed) would be a good sales ploy.The trend culminated in Sheaffer's Triumph nib and is represented in Parker by the collector in the 51.

Gerry Berg

Interesting. I've always wondered why so many fins on the feed of the triumph.

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

Quite aside from the "Skyboy", Sheaffer made a big deal of the company's interest in the new market for air-worthy pens. When it introduced its conical nib on the new Triumph in 1942, it claimed that the new nib with the "Flo-rite feed" and "capillary comb cuts" allowed the pen to "pass through a wide range of temperatures and altitudes" making it "ideal for men in the service".

Gerry Berg

Quotations from "Take New Pleasure in Writing", Circ. no. F 67 (January, 1942).

Though I can not see your feed, mine is one of the mysterious white ones ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/sheaffer%20pens/DSC_0004-3.jpg

Phil

I have one of the pens with a white feed also, a Golden Brown over the top clip Lifetime Valiant. I've heard all those same reasons for a white feed that you have.

http://www.parkvillepen.com/images/sheaffer/mcwhitefeed.jpg

Dennis B

Just snagged a Lady Skyboy with the long (not OTT) clip on eBay.

Having upped my own interest level by starting this thread, I searched eBay and found this lady Skyboy with the regular (not OTT) clip in Marine Green. It just arrived today and needs a cleanup and a sac.

Dennis B

http://www.parkvillepen.com/images/sheaffer/ladyskyboymarinegreenposted.jpg

Lovely addition! The feed, no doubt has many fins, but does it have a slot on the tip that looks as though it was made to fit a screw driver?

Gerry

Lovely addition! The feed, no doubt has many fins, but does it have a slot on the tip that looks as though it was made to fit a screw driver?

Gerry

Gerry,

Thanks! No slot on the tip of the feed.

Dennis B