Review Montblanc Blue Black ink

woodworker

Well here it is my first review. Please comment if I can improve my reviews.

I did get my first Montblanc Blue Black ink when I bought my Montblanc 146 (fine-nib) fountainpen. This ink behaved very well on Moleskine paper. This Moleskine-paper has a love/hate relatioship with fountainpen inks all over the world. Allthough with this Montblanc Blue Black no bleedtrough or feathering is seen in any of my Moleskine books. I thought all ink of Montblanc did have this quality. But when I bought the color Racing green I was very dissapointed. It was going trough my Moleskine paper as if it was water. So their is a quest wich I labeled "moleskine friendly ink".

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3385/3647313162_ce4870c33a.jpg

The ink comes in beautifull designed bottles. My little kid calls them "shoes"...... But with this intelligent design you can always get the last ink out of the bottle.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3610/3647452156_8919c041e0.jpg

"Montblanc 146 (fine nib) filled with Montblanc ink Blue Black.

This ink is great, it does not feather or bleed trough any of my Moleskine paper.

The ink has great flow, although drying takes more then 20 seconds.

Color is beautifull saturated and is very useable for businesspeople.

This is the ink you will always have at hand for daily use.

Shading is not visible on this Moleskine paper.

Woodworker"

For your information I also tried the Pelikan M1000 (fine), Lamy Safari (fine) and the Parker Duofold (medium) with exeactly the same results. The Parker Duofold flushes a lot of ink on the thin Moleskine paper, but no bleedtrough.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3319/3648903749_ffcbb6c724.jpg

In this picture you can see that their is no bleedtrought at the other side of the Moleskinepaper.

So their it is my first review. I thought no foutainpen or ink existed that would do well on Moleskinepaper. This review shows that it is possible to write on both sides of the Moleskine paper with a fountainpen! Great :-D

I would love to have some feedback on my new blog.

Edited by woodworker

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen2009

• Lloyd

• adam11

• Gehaha

That's a great review. It's different enough from the other reviews of this ink to be both useful and interesting. Thanks for producing and posting it.

The excellent behavior on Moleskine paper probably happens because this ink has iron gall (nothing to worry about, just don't let it dry up in the pen, and flush the pen every month or so), which resists water and detergents but not strong bleaches.

• 1 month later...
The excellent behavior on Moleskine paper probably happens because this ink has iron gall (nothing to worry about, just don't let it dry up in the pen, and flush the pen every month or so), which resists water and detergents but not strong bleaches.

Thanks for that tip- I use this ink in my MB 149 and I certainly wouldn't want to have to send it away for maintenance or repairs in the case of ink drying in the pen. I might change over and use this in a converter pen.

David

Great review, thank you for your effort!

:thumbup:

I'm not a native speaker of the english language. My apologies in advance when I'm causing trouble by bad grammar, wrong vocabulary, misspelling - friendly correction always welcome!

"...I still believe that people are really good at heart."

Anne Frank, "Diary" (14 years old)

• 2 weeks later...

When you use Blue Black, do you need to flush your pen more frequently than other "safer" inks? A bottle of MB Blue Black is on my way and I want to be prepared so that I won't damage my pens.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

When you use Blue Black, do you need to flush your pen more frequently than other "safer" inks? A bottle of MB Blue Black is on my way and I want to be prepared so that I won't damage my pens.

In general, yes. Mont Blanc recommends flushing every two weeks (although many go more than 4 weeks without a problem). It depends on the airtightness of your pen. Unlike most inks, iron gall inks (MB BlueBlack, Diamine Registrars, Lamy BlueBlack in bottles, etc.) will dry into a solid mass which water alone will not dissolve.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I love MB blue black (strange, I didn't like it earlier), but danger of clogging prevented me in using this ink in my vintage or more expensive pens. But, I've found out that this ink is perfect match for my VP with binderized Fine nib. Recently, I noticed some problems with the pen (clogging), so I cleaned up and flush the nib. Now the pen's resting with much less "dangerous" Herbin Perle Noire.

So, yes. Regular maintenance is a must with this ink.

Edited by adam11

One of my favorite inks! Love the vintage look, shading, and water resistance.

I use it in my Meisterstucks. I flush once a month or sometimes after several months and have never had a problem x 15 years.

Edited by jeen

It seems YMMV applies on the flushing regimen as I see some poster says there is no issue for a few months of flushing interval while the others say it damage the pen without a weekly or biweekly flushing schedule.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

• 2 weeks later...

How much one writes with the pen should have an impact on that, I suppose. If one is using the pen a lot, and going through fills quite frequently, the ink would probably be less troublesome, as it would simply not have as much time to solidify etc. That would reduce the urgency of flushing, or so says my reasoning.

<i>No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.</i>

Pens currently in carrying case: Lamy 2000 F with Noodler's Navy/Bulletproof Black mix, Sheaffer Imperial M with Noodler's Golden Brown, and Lamy Logo F with Noodler's Bulletproof Black.

• 2 years later...

A good choice for those of us stuck between the standard black or blue that stands out too much. Thanks for the review!