Wahl Eversharp 5th Avenue....with open nib, solid gold cap and...Gold Seal!

ihimlen

We all know Fifth Avenues with hooded nibs and double check marks on the clip...however, it looks like the hooded nib might be a later modification and the original Loewy design might have been completely different:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk60/ihiml3n/100_6677.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk60/ihiml3n/100_6682.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk60/ihiml3n/100_6686.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk60/ihiml3n/100_6687.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk60/ihiml3n/100_6689.jpg

Edited by ihimlen

ihimlen

www.opiorach.blogspot.com

www.forumopiorach.net

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ihimlen

• LBpens

• publius

• framebaer

Do you know the provenance of this pen. Is it a prototype?

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

Do you know the provenance of this pen. Is it a prototype?

I got this pen a while ago (it was all-original and unrestored) and it looks like it certainly left the factory that way though I'm not sure of its history. It might well be a prototype as it's the only Fifth Avenue that I've seen with an open nib, ink-view section and a gold seal. And another curious thing about this pen is that the cap (and the barrel end) are solid gold which pretty much indicates that it was meant to be a high-end model...

i.

ihimlen

www.forumopiorach.net

very handsome pen.. esp like the gold where you post the cap.

was this ever in production?

Yes, these pens were in production, albeit the only ones I've seen were with hooded nibs, that look somewhat like the ones in Parker "51" pens...

i.

ihimlen

www.forumopiorach.net

This is an awful thing to say… but I would really like the Fifth Avenue if it weren't a lever-filler. :(

Which part do you dislike, the appearance or use? The levers are supposed to be on the underside, so you don't have to look at it as much if you don't want to. And if you really don't want to see it, you could probably swap the barrel for one from a CA ballpoint (the Fifth Avenue style). Then you'd have to unscrew the barrel and squeeze the sac, but be careful with the breather tube. And don't lose the clutch ring, which is loose.

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, given that it was the most common mechanism for so long, but there's just something I don't trust about the lever-filling system itself. Of course, the mention of the ballpoint barrel fills my mind with all manner of strange schemes for converting the filler mechanism. A little aluminum tubing, modify the barrel, & maybe that gold end could be turned into the blind cap of a Touchdown… http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/218_science.gif

• 5 years later...

I couldn't resist resurrecting this old thread. I have not seen a 5th Ave with open nib, but I have seen others with gold seals. More interesting, I have one that is a button-filler!

Save the Wahls!

I couldn't resist resurrecting this old thread. I have not seen a 5th Ave with open nib, but I have seen others with gold seals. More interesting, I have one that is a button-filler!

A button-filled 5th Avenue? That runs against my assumption that Wahl went entirely to lever-fillers in moving to the Skyline...simple filling system, great nibs, classy external design by two great designers. (Although I wish Eversharp had not tried to make the 5th Avenue look like a hooded nib...just used their open nib )

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I've never seen another one so it was apparently a prototype. I am also surprised they even considered a button-filler.

Save the Wahls!