The Legendary Parker Archives

algabatz

Tony, what a treasure your site is. I just spent a couple hours reading and looking. I wonder what will become of Parker and that archive site. I hesitate to think that the main caretakers are getting up there in years, and I doubt anyone else has the background to properly look after everything. Has Newelll decided anthing?

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• algabatz

• SamCapote

• bunny roller

• GSP

EXCELLENT site. I love it, it's like a compendium of parker history that Parker should have kept. SHame that Newell Rubbermaid moved operations to France (as was reflected by my duofold's build origin). What was N-R's rationale for making the move anyway when Parker has been synonymous with the UK since the 1930s, if not earlier?

Jason

My pen checks and cracks... my strat's nitrocellulose finish checks and cracks. Could that mean that the fancy precious resin is the same stuff that Fender uses to cover their guitars?

-Just a thought....

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what happened to the archives?

• 2 months later...

Hey there,

Nice article...reminds me of the days I worked there. I was an Art Director at the Janesville location and I was privy to the archives. I was able to experience pretty much the same feelings when I would need to pull pens for photoshoots. I remember the numerous file cabinets full of old ads, posters, counter cards and various sales materials. Unfortunately they were not stored in the best of ways in that most were folded up to fit the drawers. I remember the archive room was in the back building at Arrow Park and the roof of that facility wasn't in the best of shape because the room smelled a bit moldy and some of the file cabinets would get wet from rain. I was amazed that at the time, nobody seemed to care very much.

I took time to explore on a few occasions and went through an old vertical storage cabinet that held a bunch of test pens...(various pens made from a variety of metal finishes). Pretty cool in itself. When the company was sold to Gillette and I was leaving for another job opportunity, I wondered what would become of the archives. I remember a few upper management types also having access and had a bad feeling that the room would be pilfered.... never knew.

Anyway, thanks for posting.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I mean since the Newhaven plant closed. Anyone know?

great report and website. that place is a treasure trove for sure. I bet some of thoes pens are worth a fortune

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone.....Bueller.....Bueller....

Does anybody know what pen he was talking about? Surely it's been "declassified" by now! Was it the new duofold?

Maybe the archives have imploded into an alternate universe.

Hi.

I heard from a very reliable source that the archives have been moved to Nantes (in France) and Sunderland.

I don't know what facility Parker have at Sunderland, however, I suppose some may consider it an alternate universe. :unsure:

Regards

Paul.

Hi.

I heard from a very reliable source that the archives have been moved to Nantes (in France) and Sunderland.

I don't know what facility Parker have at Sunderland, however, I suppose some may consider it an alternate universe. :unsure:

Regards

Paul.

That is so reassuring, given the tour and what was shown in the videos of the UK site. Thanks!!

• 1 year later...

Has anyone tried contacting former employees to see if any of them saved the parts/pens/prototypes from the rubbish?

The education of a man is never complete until he dies. Gen. Robert E. Lee

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anyone tried contacting former employees to see if any of them saved the parts/pens/prototypes from the rubbish?

Hi,

Being an ex Parker Toolmaker from Newhaven I saw the archives. When I say saw them, I mean I saw them through a window. No one was allowed in there for obvious reasons. Very little came out of there and any rubbish was crushed. That's not to say the 'odd' bit ended up in collectors hands!

Darryl

Ex Parker Pen Toolmaker, Newhaven, England.

http://www.moreengineering.co.uk

• 3 months later...

I know this topic has been around for a long time but i have just read some of the posts. You do a wonderful job, being an avid Parker collector I look upon the web site as a bible and has helped me so many times to make informed choices.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

• 2 weeks later...

'If you have a Parker pen then one can surely change the world '

I heard someone saying that it's a modification of the quote , But always good to hear it !!

I just bought another Parker pen will add to my collection , It works smoothly as anything i just love using it , one must try it !!

• 7 months later...