The Legendary Parker Archives

algabatz

I returned from Newhaven on June 5th, after being invited to rummage through the legendary Parker archives.

I can tell You that it was a mindblowing experience!

Now there is a full report at my site THE PARKER ARCHIVES REPORT

I was not allowed to take catalogue quality shots and will not share the images other than on my site.

http://parkercollector.com/bilder_pennor/_parker_archives/parker_facade.jpg

Enjoy and pleese comment!

/Tony

Edited by algabatz

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• algabatz

• SamCapote

• bunny roller

• GSP

oh my god, tony, surely that has to be the trip of a lifetime. thanks for sharing the experience. see any intetesting vacs? (i'm sure you did, but i couldn't find them in the pictures.)

this part of the report made me want to weep: "At the time when the Parker Janesville factory was shut down Dave Ruderman was working in Boston. He got word that boxes and boxes, tons of spare parts and pens had simply been thrown away when repairs was moved to France." :crybaby:

Check out my blog and my pens

Tony, thank you so much for taking the time and effort to publish this very valuable resource, I think this article should be a sticky, it is a very valuable piece of journalism.

I was absloutely bowled over by the condition of the Duofolds, magnificent!

I take it that the one under the first is the famed Pompeian Brown, I have never seen that one before!

Thank you again, what a resource! It is thanks to people like you that the every day heritage (the heritage that truly shows history I believe) is alive and well and secure for future generations, congratulations on a supurb article!

All the best.

Ian

Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock, Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia Limited editon 410/1000, Sheaffer imperial 777, Prker 51 special, Parker Duofold senior special, Stipula Tuscany dreams piston with 1.1 italic 036/351, incoming: Stipula Tuscany dreams T-flex. Parker 51 Vac, Pelikan 140. Aurora, Twsbi vac, Omas,dupont Waterman leMan 100 Opera

this part of the report made me want to weep: "At the time when the Parker Janesville factory was shut down Dave Ruderman was working in Boston. He got word that boxes and boxes, tons of spare parts and pens had simply been thrown away when repairs was moved to France." :crybaby:

The pictures made me weep.................oh well

Sic Transit Gloria

"Gloria gets seasick"

oh my god, tony, surely that has to be the trip of a lifetime. thanks for sharing the experience. see any intetesting vacs? (i'm sure you did, but i couldn't find them in the pictures.)

Ye, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I mean, I've heard of these things going on in the fifties, but this was just ten years ago or so.

Thanks for Your kind comments. Much appreciated.

/Tony

and to think that i was walking around janesville on a personal pilgrimage 20 years ago--more or less aimlessly, as i knew no one; heck, they could've sent me off with a suitcase full of "throwaway" vacs and 51s! ;)

Ye, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I mean, I've heard of these things going on in the fifties, but this was just ten years ago or so.

/Tony

Check out my blog and my pens

Just as well it was you rather than me. I'd have drooled all over the pens, and I'm not too keen on being emotionally incontinent in public.

That trip, though, must have been like being allowed to visit El-Dorado. You lucky thing. Thanks for the write-up, it gives a flavour of being there.

Regards,

Richard.

and to think that i was walking around janesville on a personal pilgrimage 20 years ago--more or less aimlessly, as i knew no one; heck, they could've sent me off with a suitcase full of "throwaway" vacs and 51s! ;)

/Tony

He he, You never know the things You could find in the trash!

/T

Unbelievable. Just. Unbelievable.

Thank you for this Tony; it is a true public service.

I hope that one day the information and examples will be widely shared, but just what you've posted on your site alone constitutes an incredible archive.

I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

Tony, thank you so much for taking the time and effort to publish this very valuable resource, I think this article should be a sticky, it is a very valuable piece of journalism.

I was absloutely bowled over by the condition of the Duofolds, magnificent!

I take it that the one under the first is the famed Pompeian Brown, I have never seen that one before!

Thank you again, what a resource! It is thanks to people like you that the every day heritage (the heritage that truly shows history I believe) is alive and well and secure for future generations, congratulations on a supurb article!

They do have plans to make a museum out of some of it. That would be great, but it's all about the money I suppose...

Thanks for Your input, very much appreciated.

/Tony

• 5 months later...

What an intriguing and profound article.

A most absorbing read..and your website is a treasure algabatz.

Shubham

Parker VS (rust)

Parker "51" aerometric (navy grey)

Sheaffer Snorkel Saratoga (burgundy)

Sheaffer Imperial IV Touchdown (green)

• 3 weeks later...

This is a petition to Newell Rubbermaid/Sanford Ecriture/the Parker Pen Company to keep the Parker Archives in Newhaven, UK. We are worried that this unprecedented piece of corporate history would be in peril if moved around further.

We would also like Newell Rubbermaid/Sanford Ecriture/the Parker Pen Company to investigate the possibility of opening a museum where selected pens and other products made by The Parker pen company would be on public display.

Newhaven is traditional Parker soil and the residents in Newhaven would be able to add many memories, things and stories to such a museum.

Please sign this digital newsletter to support this cause. The names and this petition will be forwarded to Newell Rubbermaid/Sanford Ecriture/the Parker Pen Company later in 2010.

http://parkercollect...er/?p=subscribe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I will have to go there some time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Best regards John Palmer

• 3 months later...

The Tennessee lottery is at 190 million.....I am thinking of playing and moving the archives to Knoxville!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 5 months later...