Do Not put Legal Lapis in a pen with a white secti

KCat

Lesson quickly learned. Took some significant rubbing with ammonia/water mix and light scrubbing of the threads to get the ink off the section of my White Tortoise.

We'll be taking the Blue Stripe. <_<

The White Tortoise is too "phoofey" for hubby anyway.

Just a warning. The barrel didn't stain and the section isn't stained - but as I said, it took some strong rubbing to get the stuff off there and I suspect had I not noticed it immediately, it might very well *have* stained.

Edited by KCat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• Taki

• TheNobleSavage

• kathywc

Whoa! Glad you caught it when you did!

kathy wc

We find rest in those we love, and we provide a resting place in ourselves for those who love us.--Bernard of Clairvaux

hmm... I've always thought LL and Black both had sort of weird looks in the bottle, and wondered if it had any downside properties related to color fastness. Looking at LL in the bottle, it has a funny sort of "opaqueness" that I don't see in other dark inks.

Glad to hear it wasn't permanent.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Nathan says that his inks are permanent only on reacting with cellulose in paper, and that they wash off pen materials.

I'm glad that pen of yours didn't suffer any damage.

I like a lot of the colors and the qualities of the inks. I love legal Lapis - the color is rich and the ink is certainly waterproof.

But I will avoid putting it in such a light-colored pen in the future. This pen really deserves a subtle ink anyway - but it had an XF nib so I thought it would be appropriate. As it was, I just switched the nib with one in the blue stripe. Otherwise hubby would have to sign with a stub and he doesn't have the same angle of attack I have.

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I've had the clear barrel of an Omas Extra stained with PR Plum. I know I left it in there for a few days (<1 week; Edited: Ok, faulty memory! I left the ink in the Omas for 1 or 2 months...at most...closer to one month. Sorry to edit this so late, but I didn't want it to conflict with a later post in another thread I made about ink staining in that pen....) but still.... <_< Now I avoid putting saturated inks in pens with inkvue windows or clear barrels...Once bitten, twice shy....

Edited: .Ok, faulty memory! I left the ink in the Omas for 1 or 2 months (at most...closer to one month). Sorry to edit this so late, but I didn't want it to conflict with a later post I made about ink staining in that pen....

Edited by Maja

KCat,

I had the same problem with my Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. instead of the Legal Lapis It was Waterman Violet and on another occasion PR Sherwood green. It took me some time to get it off of the pen. I used water and mild dish soap with a soft damp rag to get rid of the discoloration.

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

KCat,

I had the same problem with my Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. instead of the Legal Lapis It was Waterman Violet and on another occasion PR Sherwood green. It took me some time to get it off of the pen. I used water and mild dish soap with a soft damp rag to get rid of the discoloration.

Well, I'm gonna stick with some more subtle inks. I guess I'm going to have to break down and get some Diamine ink shipped over here because the color I want isn't available in the US. And it looks just right in my WT. No staining either. WM Violet is probably one of the more common staining inks. Though I used it in my whole *two* pens that I owned for a couple of years with no problems at all. They were dark pens, though.

I knew there was a reason I steered away from white pens for a long time - but I wouldn't trade this "Honey" for nuttin'. :meow:

KCat

I dig the Diamine Imperial purple but it does stain like the WM violet does. I noticed that they look very similar in color.

Is the Diamine ink you are looking for the prussian blue? I am curious to try it out.

On my last Ebay auction that I won, it was all about diamine inks!! 2 presidential blue, 2 tropical blue and 1 royal blue for 31.77 Not too shabby, I have to admit.

Neither of the inks were really groundbreaking colors but I do have to say that the Presidential blue flows very nice out of my vintage Parker Vacs. It flows just as nice as Quink blue black and washable blue, as far as I am concerned it is a good replacement due to the fact that my vintage parker vacs are quite tempermental with the more saturated inks. Diamine flows quite nice, I wonder if they had vintage pen requirements in mind?

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Is the Diamine ink you are looking for the prussian blue? I am curious to try it out.

yup - it's the Prussian Blue. It's a color I would call "slate blue" which is a color I have sought for a long time. Somedays I think it's "just another blue" but other days I wish I had more than a small sample of it.

I have one other person who expressed interest in it - maybe we could get a handful (or even just three) folks who are willing to split the shipping cost from the UK. That would get us down to a price very close to the price that Pendemonium had on this ink. Of course, it's still not cheap ink. However, the price isn't that bad considering it comes in such a large bottle (I think it's 80 mls?)

I'll do a price per ml assessment based on the numbers the Ink Palette proposed gave me - the price will have changed slightly due to fluctuating exchange rates - but not much. I'll then post something on the trade board to see if more than one person is interested in acquiring more. I just don't know when or even *if* Diamine will be distributing this ink in the US. I'd say based on the fact that it sold out very quickly from Pendemonium's small test supply, that it is one of the more popular of their blues. Also, no one has offered to sell or trade me for their bottle. So I'm guessing those who bought it - like it.

anyway - blah blah blah - no decision until I've run the numbers. And possibly tried to contact Diamine's distributor.

KCat

Someone has offered to procure for me so I won't be doing this bulk order thing. At least not any time in the near future.

However, here is what I found when I went back to the original discussion with The Writing Desk if it is of any help to you and others.

The following was quoted back in November and based on the exchange rate at that time. I'm sure it will have changed since then and you would need to get a new quote. But this is pretty close, I imagine, to the cost.

Thank you for your e-mail. Postage will be £5.00 for 2-bottles making

the total cost £14.90 (approx $28.20). For 4-bottles the postage will be

£9.00 making the total £28.80 (approx $54.50).

This makes the cost a bit less than Pendemonium's cost (assuming they ever get another supply of this ink.)

So - if someone orders 2 bottles for shipment to the US, it is about $14.10 per bottle. For the 4-bottle order, the cost goes to $13.63 per bottle. Remember - this only applied to the November quote - the exchange rate will be different.

Just an FYI, for comparison with other inks - Diamine ink (based on the above numbers) is approx. 17.5 cents/ml. PR, with a guess of $4 shipping, is about 23c/ml. Noodler's (regular inks, not any of the specialty inks) with an est. $4 shipping is about 17.7c/ml. I think Pelikan is one of the cheapest inks out there but didn't do the calculation as it would require me take an extra 30 seconds to look up the conversion from ounces to mls. :P

edited again because I put in the wrong name of the UK seller.

Edited by KCat

KCat

I just washed out Noodler's Kiowa Pecan from my White Tortoise. Yup, the ink got in the thread and can't get it out completely :bonk: It's soaking in veeeery mild chemical bath, and I found my son's old baby tooth brush (the kind you put on your finger and has soft rubber 'brush" on it) so hopefully I can get it off <_<

Taki,

I had KP in my White Tortoise for a while. When I cleaned it out there were deposits in the threads. You'll be glad to know, it *will* come out. I ended up a piece of old film (i mean, like the film from a camera) which was thin and fine enough to slide into the threads and work the bits out. So my experience was that it didn't really stain it - just that the particles are a bit sticky.

KCat

Thanks KC, I was wondering about what could get into the thread. The baby toothbrush helped a little bit, but film would probably work better. I think I can dig up a piece of film :)

Edited by Taki