• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• antoniosz

• Brian Anderson

• gregamckinney

• jimg

Brian Anderson (www.esterbrook.net) displays and discusses Esterbrook Relief Pens on his web site, but he doesn't show a Relief 7.

Regards,

Ray

Brian Anderson (www.esterbrook.net) displays and discusses Esterbrook Relief Pens on his web site, but he doesn't show a Relief 7.

Exactly. Brian's site, and the discussion here (Brian, Antonios, Todd, etc.) is where I learned the bit I know about the Relief series.

This one has the higher-end cap band config, and the auction seems to describe a piston or plunger filler. Makes me wonder if this is a legit pen, and maybe the high-end of the Relif family.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I found another Relief No 7 on Battersea's website http://penhome.co.uk/Archive/Onoto_Archive.htm The Ref # is 2245, close to the bottom of the page.http://penhome.co.uk/images/2245.jpg

Ref 2245 - Esterbrook Relief No7, Piston filler, English - Rare Esterbrook piston filler in cracked ice design with gft - 1935 - Condition B/1m

I think we need Brian's expertise on the matter. Nice looking pen.

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." ~ Ben Williams

My social media sites Via Gravatar

Join Pen Collectors of America

If I were into Blue Marble Relief pens I'd bid...Oh wait, I just checked and it is already over what I would bid today--I've a few other irons in the ebay fire.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Closed at a bit over $500, more than I wanted to spend, but well within the range I thought it might go for.

Congrats to whoever landed this rare item.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Well, I've only been back into FP's and Esties for a year now, but that's by far the priciest Estie I'VE seen so far. Almost makes Adam's primo $275 Visumaster seem inexpensive.

WAY TOO solidly into C-worder territory for this kid.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Well, I've only been back into FP's and Esties for a year now, but that's by far the priciest Estie I'VE seen so far. Almost makes Adam's primo $275 Visumaster seem inexpensive.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Well, I seem to recall a RRHR 1-R eyedropper that that went for about $800 (IIRC)...

The UK Reliefs are a class of their own...

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Well, I seem to recall a RRHR 1-R eyedropper that that went for about $800 (IIRC)...

The UK Reliefs are a class of their own...

Who was that?

I know of another Relief that went for well over $1k. Rare as Hen's Teeth though.

One thing I hate about this ebay system is now we have to email everyone we know to see who may have one the dang thing.

Cheers!

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

So, from what I can glean from the ebay listing we have a No.3 nib with a "plunger" fill mechanism...

Anyone have any dimensions and further details of the fill mechanism?

PS I'm with Antonios on the Reliefs. Love 'em. Especially the CBHR and RRHR ones.

Edited by jimg

So, from what I can glean from the ebay listing we have a No.3 nib with a "plunger" fill mechanism...

PS I'm with Antonios on the Reliefs. Love 'em. Especially the CBHR and RRHR ones.

It is clearly a piston filler with an ink window. Possibly the nib is wrong.

A pen to covet for the Relief aficionado.

Just passing through and noticed this topic. I think you'll find the pen is the Relief equivalent of the Conway Stewart Ink Visible 800 dating to the late 1930s.

The filling system of the Ink Vis 700/800 (and how to repair it) is described in some detail in Laurence Oldfield & Jim Marshall's pen repair manual. Not a repair for the faint-hearted, though!

Andy

It is clearly a piston filler with an ink window. Possibly the nib is wrong.

A pen to covet for the Relief aficionado.

Oh Lord, am I really doomed to spend my days wandering the earth looking for different variants of these fabulous pens?

A piston filler Relief!

am curious as well, because all i have is the plain lever version:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/3079236775_3671ef8d5e.jpg

Oh Lord, am I really doomed to spend my days wandering the earth looking for different variants of these fabulous pens?

A piston filler Relief!

Check out my blog and my pens

Yes Jim :) We have

1-R, 1-L, and 1 pencil, 2-R, 2-L, 2-S, 22-L, 3-L, 3-S, 4-L, 4-S, 5-L, 6-L, and now 7 (-P?). Oh and 12.

That's all we know. R=eyedropper, L=lever, S=stud (button filler). And yes, there is a 6.

Penmanilla - nice 1-L :)

Edited by antoniosz

Technically, there is no 1-L, it's just a 1. Isn't there also a 6-M, for manifold? And for those counting, 22's come in either a ringtop version, clip version, or I think there's even a version with a clip AND a ringtop (Greg, don't you have one of these?). There is also a pencil for the 2 series.

I'm sure there are even more but my brain is fried. Would love to get my hands on a 4-S someday. Those 4's are AWESOME!! :)

Brian

Yes. I stand corrected. Just 1.

Also yes there is a pencil for the 2 Series - you know you stuff Brian :)

On the 6 - it is 6-L but it is called Manifold Relief. BTW it looks like it is same size with 2

The 4s are huge though.. I would love to get my hands on any 4 :)

Technically, there is no 1-L, it's just a 1. Isn't there also a 6-M, for manifold? And for those counting, 22's come in either a ringtop version, clip version, or I think there's even a version with a clip AND a ringtop (Greg, don't you have one of these?). There is also a pencil for the 2 series.

I'm sure there are even more but my brain is fried. Would love to get my hands on a 4-S someday. Those 4's are AWESOME!! :)

Brian

Yes. I stand corrected. Just 1.

Also yes there is a pencil for the 2 Series - you know you stuff Brian :)

On the 6 - it is 6-L but it is called Manifold Relief. BTW it looks like it is same size with 2

The 4s are huge though.. I would love to get my hands on any 4 :)

Aaahh, yes, I figured you'd straighten me out on the 6 Antonios. Come to DC and you can see my 4-L. :) Do you have a model 1 pencil? Picture?

Best-

Brian

Just saw your note on DC/Columbus. I'll bring it to Chicago next year. You'd better come! ;)