More questions about the Pilot Custom 74

holgalee

Forgot to reply to the kind people who wrote:

I just had a look at my Custom 74 demonstrator. The Con-70 converter is a snug fit, but does seat properly, and the flow in my pen is consistent. I'd guess that your Con-70 may have a defect of some kind, or perhaps you need a little more force to push it in all the way? Otherwise, perhaps your nib/feed unit does have a flow problem. I did not have to flush mine out with soapy water, but I might have had to floss the nib to increase the flow. (I sometimes do that with new pens because I tend to like a relatively wet flow.) You might want to contact the seller, because problems like this should not happen with Pilot pens.

Dr Grace, I've emailed the seller and am keeping my fingers crossed. My F nib wrote a very dry and pale line with the Waterman Florida Blue, which is why I flushed it with soapy water. I've learnt a huge lesson and will exercise more patience with my pens next time. I do like my pens to be on the dry side, but this was probably the driest I've ever encountered, but I was afraid of flossing the nib as I have some pens that are too wet, and 'pinching' the shoulders of the nib just doesn't close the gap between the tines.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• holgalee

• Siv

• MYU

• PinarelloOnly

The rotating of the converter may have loosened up the nib and feed. Try wiggling the nib gently to see if it has come loose. This may be partially the cause of the problem. Also, I'd never wash out a pen with soapy water. If soap residue is left behind, it could wreak havoc with the ink flow. To get rid of it, just run the section under warm water for a while, to force any remaining residue out. If you've got ammonia, create a 1:10 solution and rinse with that to be on the safe side.

But all in all, the CON-70 shouldn't require such force to mount it as to cause pain in your fingers! That's a bit suspicious...

If you have a cartridge, I'd take out the CON-70 and try mounting the cartridge. It is supposed to have the same opening size. If the cartridge requires the same amount of force, then something is up with the pen...

Hi MYU, now that I've put the CON-70 aside in favour of the CON-50, the nib no longer rotates. I've soaked the nib in the diluted ammonia solution for a few hours but there's little improvement. I shall remember this as the day I tried to kill my pen! Am feeling upset because the girth and weight of the pen is perfect, and it's also my most expensive pen to date. I've just filled the barrel with warm water and am standing the pen on disposable kitchen towel to draw out the water. I've also tried to blow water out of the nib several times. I've filled the barrel with water and flicked water out from the nib so many times that I've lost count. Any more ideas about what I can do?

I would beg to differ. The custom 74 comes with Pilots No 5 nib which is functional but similar in performance to a VP. The bamboo or 742 is a better writing pen and comes with a No 10 nib. The 823 comes with a No 15 nib and this is the same nib you get on the 743 and 845 - probably the best user grade nib made by pilot. The only nib bigger than this is the No 50 found on the $1000s Emperor class pens... The size of all these pens is almost irrelevant - it certainly is not where the cost differential is - the cost is all in the nib (unless there is Urushi involved).

I don't really want to get into/start a flame war, and I don't have any experience with any of these different nibs (I just wrote with my 74 for the first time last night -- first impressions: FANTASTIC), but I did receive a full Pilot catalog with my purchase, and it does not list the differences between the various nib sizes/numbers in their Custom line at all. However it does go into detail about the various grinds and tips you can get (Fine, Medium, Soft, Music, etc).

From this information I assume that the numbers on the nib refer to total size and body compatibility rather than writing quality, and every nib with, for example, a BB designation should perform roughly the same. However I'm sure it's also true that a larger nib will perform differently due to the shape, thickness, and weight. Plus there is always a lot of individual variation.

Of course it's also possible that there are other catalogues espousing the benefits or different nib sizes in more detail...

Neill

You may want to insert a cartridge and see how it performs. If it's no different, then you know that there must be an issue with the nib and/or feed. I suggest inspecting it with a loupe (magnifying glass) and see if everything looks OK. Otherwise, it may be possible for you to get a replacement from the seller... hopefully they have a return policy and frequently sell the Custom 74 so that they've got stock to replace it.

If you do end up getting a replacement, definitely start with a cartridge to be sure everything is working... then give the CON-70 a try. Be gentle and try not to rotate it as you do the installation. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Thanks, Neill! Yes, it does make me feel better. :) Sounds like a QC issue with the con-70. I'll try to get it replaced, unless it's too much of a hassle, then I'll lightly sand the protruding line off. I didn't get to try the Custom 74 in a brick and motar shop and ordered mine online. I'm soaking the nib and section in a diluted ammonia solution overnight (er, is that correct?) and hoping that it recovers.

The Con-70 has a recessed area on the end. This will still be quite visible (maybe 1/4" or more) even when it's securely seated. The clerk at the store actually asked the senior saleswoman whether that was normal as she wasn't sure it was properly seated. I haven't actually taken mine out yet so I don't know what it looks like or if there's anything protruding...

Neill