More questions about the Pilot Custom 74

holgalee

Thank you, everyone, for your kind advice, and sorry to be the cause of the verbal jousting! It's always good to hear what the more learned fountain pen users have to say about pens, nibs, ink, paper, writing, etc, and I know that most sentiments expressed on FPN are opinions, not facts. And that's precisely what makes the hobby and this forum such an exciting and intellectually stimulating one! I was only somewhat vaguely aware of the various Pilot nibs, but now my education is more complete.

Siv: Great idea about meeting up with fellow local FPN members. I've not met any of them and consider it strange to PM them with "can I try your pens"? LOL. In any event, I couldn't wait, and being a little low in funds right now, have decided that the Custom 74 is good enough for me. I do salivate gracefully at the sight of the Custom 823 and the Sailor Professional Gear, but have trouble justifying the price of the pens for now. I just do not write enough when at home to have such gorgeous and expensive pens, and I'll get a little paranoid about losing them at work! :headsmack: I do have a Decimo, by the way, and it's a great pen, but I've always wanted a demonstrator. Thank you also for the contact information to Pilot Singapore. I've contacted them about pens before and they were generally helpful, except when I raised more tricky issues and questions about fountain pens, that "severely tested" their customer service!

burmeseboyz: You got a great deal for the Custom 74! I'm glad to hear that you do not discern any differences between the Custom 823 and Custom 74. It's really hard and subjective isn't it, unless there's a machine to measure the quality of the writing, the flex of the nibs, etc. I do sometimes wonder if it's a case of the emperor's new clothes when we think a more expensive pen writes better! I suppose there are some that do, and some that just fall below expectations.

PinarelloOnly: Thank you for looking out for a relative newbie, but don't worry, I'll always weigh each advice and consider them "critically". I do wonder what kind of advice I need myself! The assurance that the pen I'm gettting is "good enough", or to save up some and get a "better" pen. For now I've decided that I can't wait and hope that the Custom 74 is just what I need: a demonstrator with a fine nib that writes smoothly and without character.

Doug Add: Wow am I glad you like the No 5 nib more than some of the "bigger" nibs! I do hope I'll like the Custom 74 sufficiently to stop eyeing other pens for a while.

Dr.Grace: Thank you for your advice too, and for getting all the passionate Pilot users to calm down! :)

So all in all, I'm glad I learnt so much! It's frustrating sometimes when I ask a question and there are no or very few answers. Well I got plenty of educated answers this time!

Edited by holgalee

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• holgalee

• Siv

• MYU

• PinarelloOnly

... and I'll get a little paranoid about losing them at work!

That's exactly why I bought my MB149! I kept losing the cheaper pens, so I figured I'd get one that I couldn't afford to lose. It worked, too. I don't lose my cheaper pens any more, either.

I have a Custom 74, and I know you won't be disappointed. It's a great pen.

Edited by troglokev

... and I'll get a little paranoid about losing them at work!

That's exactly why I bought my MB149! I kept losing the cheaper pens, so I figured I'd get one that I couldn't afford to lose. It worked, too. I don't lose my cheaper pens any more, either.

I have a Custom 74, and I know you won't be disappointed. It's a great pen.

Thanks, troglokev! That's a good one! ;) I've just placed my order and hope to get it by next week!

I have a Custom 74 with a medium nib n°5. It is an excellent and reliable writer that I can best compare with my Pelikan 800 M-nib and that's the top league. The same feeling, the same line width. Never skips. It is filled with J. Herbin Cacao du Brésil.

It has an excellent converter with an acceptable ink capacity (in my standards, wich means that some others call this a ton of ink).

Orval

I have a Custom 74 with a medium nib n°5. It is an excellent and reliable writer that I can best compare with my Pelikan 800 M-nib and that's the top league. The same feeling, the same line width.

I'm surprised that your Pilot medium gives the same linewidth as your Pelikan medium.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Congrats on getting a Custom 74, holgalee! You won't be disappointed. :)

I'm sure you will enjoy the pen, but eventually you'll start wondering "If I enjoy the Custom 74, what of the 823?" And then you'll be very tempted to secure one of those as well. Believe me, the price point seems quite a bit higher than you're willing to spend right now, but that threshold will eventually erode... the temptation is hard to fight. :lol:

You mentioned the Sailor Professional Gear pen. It is a beauty and I'd given it some serious consideration, especially since Sailor is so well renowned for their nibs. But when seeing the price, I realized that the Pilot Custom 845 was not that much more expensive... especially if I camped out on eBay long enough to grab one on the low end. And I did just that. I now have to say that I'll probably never buy a 1911 or Pro-Gear, because the 845 is just too good. And since this is the flagship pen of Pilot, there isn't a more expensive (new) pen of theirs to buy! Threshold reached. ;)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I'm sure you will enjoy the pen, but eventually you'll start wondering "If I enjoy the Custom 74, what of the 823?" And then you'll be very tempted to secure one of those as well. Believe me, the price point seems quite a bit higher than you're willing to spend right now, but that threshold will eventually erode... the temptation is hard to fight. :lol:

You mentioned the Sailor Professional Gear pen. It is a beauty and I'd given it some serious consideration, especially since Sailor is so well renowned for their nibs. But when seeing the price, I realized that the Pilot Custom 845 was not that much more expensive... especially if I camped out on eBay long enough to grab one on the low end. And I did just that. I now have to say that I'll probably never buy a 1911 or Pro-Gear, because the 845 is just too good. And since this is the flagship pen of Pilot, there isn't a more expensive (new) pen of theirs to buy! Threshold reached. ;)

But what about Limited Editions and Maki-e pens? Surely you can go more crazy than a custom 845, Myu! :lol:

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

But what about Limited Editions and Maki-e pens? Surely you can go more crazy than a custom 845, Myu! :lol:

Those don't count. ;)

(I was really referring more to the mainstream models)

Edited by MYU

Thanks, MYU! Gosh I rue the day I discovered FPN! All the kind and witty enablers here just feed the addiction! You're right: I'm raising the threshold incrementally too! Yikes! Maybe I should get someone to set a block on FPN on my PC, if it's possible!

And since this is the flagship pen of Pilot, there isn't a more expensive (new) pen of theirs to buy! Threshold reached. ;)

Not until you get a No.50 nib Gary! Emperor time...

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Namiki%20website%20pics/EmperorVermilionUncapped.JPG

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Received my pen three hours ago! I really like the size of the section/barrel as well as the length and weight of the pen, and think it's as good as the Sailor PG's. I'm having some problems though, so please read on:

1. Is the nib supposed to lay down 'inconsistent' lines? I see quite a bit of variation, and I suspect it's not due to the flexibility of the nib. Afterall, my Decimo does not show any line variation, and I use fairly consistent pressure when writing. Could I have overdone my flushing with soapy water? I've tried different inks (Waterman Florida Blue, Pilot blue cartridge, Pilot Iroshizuku Yama Budo, and Pelikan turquoise) :crybaby: . I'd used the WFB initially and the line widths look even but the nib seemed a little dry, so I decided to wash with soapy water and flush with running water, as well as by drawing water through the CON-70. How now? Should I just soak the nib and section for a few hours and hope for the best? I can't seem to get non-household cleaning ammonia locally.

2. When I screw in the CON-70 converter, it makes a screechy sound and the nib rotates too I think (when I screw the converter in clockwise), unless my eyes are playing tricks. Are these supposed to happen? I see a slight protruding ring in this converter but not the CON-50 converter, which doesn't make this sound when I push/screw it into the pen.

Received my pen three hours ago! I really like the size of the section/barrel as well as the length and weight of the pen, and think it's as good as the Sailor PG's. I'm having some problems though, so please read on:

1. Is the nib supposed to lay down 'inconsistent' lines? I see quite a bit of variation, and I suspect it's not due to the flexibility of the nib. Afterall, my Decimo does not show any line variation, and I use fairly consistent pressure when writing. Could I have overdone my flushing with soapy water? I've tried different inks (Waterman Florida Blue, Pilot blue cartridge, Pilot Iroshizuku Yama Budo, and Pelikan turquoise) :crybaby: . I'd used the WFB initially and the line widths look even but the nib seemed a little dry, so I decided to wash with soapy water and flush with running water, as well as by drawing water through the CON-70. How now? Should I just soak the nib and section for a few hours and hope for the best? I can't seem to get non-household cleaning ammonia locally.

2. When I screw in the CON-70 converter, it makes a screechy sound and the nib rotates too I think (when I screw the converter in clockwise), unless my eyes are playing tricks. Are these supposed to happen? I see a slight protruding ring in this converter but not the CON-50 converter, which doesn't make this sound when I push/screw it into the pen.

So what size point do you have? Fine? Med?

Are you getting consistent writing on your paper now with Florida Blue? The beginning of your post you wrote that you have inconsistency.

Stick with the Florida Blue for now. Is it a new bottle or old? Do you have Aurora inks? That would be much better determining a flow problem.

What paper are you using? Have you tried all types of paper? This is more important than changing inks right now.

Do you at least get wet, thicker, consistent writing with cheap copier paper using Florida Blue?

The CON-70 does not screw in or out!!! It pushes in or with a little wiggle it pulls out. The reason why the nib is turning is because you must

have at one time turned the Con-70 counterclockwise which will start to unscrew the nib unit which is reverse-threaded in the collar and all connected

together.

And why the rinsing with soapy water? I never had to do that with any pen never mind a Pilot/Namiki pen. That should be a last ditch effort

with a pen that is crudded up. Not a new pen. If you do not get every last minute particle of rinse water out of your feed you are going to just

gum it up.

Edited by PinarelloOnly

It's a fine nib. I don't get consistent writing with the Florida Blue now, and do not have Aurora inks. I've tried different types of paper ranging from cheaper to average (that works well with other pens) to coated, and the effect is the same.

The CON-70 that I have is a very tight fit and I need to use a twisting motion to push it in. I think there's a manufacturing defect for that as I just checked against a CON-50 and the 'line' that runs midway between the opening of the converter and the ridged part is protruding and rough. My fingers hurt from fitting the converter in place!

Rinsing with soapy water was done because the nib seemed quite dry, so I thought there were some residual oils that I often read about in other posts. If I've gummed up the nib/feed, what can I do apart from soaking?

..... I thought there were some residual oils that I often read about in other posts. ......

As far as residual oils... because many read about the fact it helped a very few amount of people at one time or another, it does not mean

that it is the norm with every new pen. This is, if these residual oils even exist at all...it’s not the norm it they do exist. And even

if they did exist in your pen....inking the pen for the first time will take care of it.

In the case of the CON-70 converter, the pumping action alone flushes out the feed in the ink bottle.

You should let the CON-70 stay in the pen and it is a tight fit. Are you saying you can't push it in at all?

Is this an E-Bay pen??????

Have you let it sit and soak awhile after filling it, before trying to write with it? Filling it with ink will take care of any miniscule soap residue,

it’s not going to affect your flow. If it does you have bigger problems.

I have had pens write better after a day or two. However I never had a problem with what you are describing with any Pilot or Namiki.

Also, what kind of pressure do you put on your nibs? Fine and extra fines do not like heavy handed writers.

Hate to say it but maybe you should send it back.

Edited by PinarelloOnly

It's not an ebay pen, but from a reputable online seller. I can push in the CON-70 but I'm not sure if it goes in all the way. Will let the nib and section soak overnight in water, then trying filling with ink again. I'm not heavy handed with fountain pens as I have a number of F and XF nibs and are used to them.

I just had a look at my Custom 74 demonstrator. The Con-70 converter is a snug fit, but does seat properly, and the flow in my pen is consistent. I'd guess that your Con-70 may have a defect of some kind, or perhaps you need a little more force to push it in all the way? Otherwise, perhaps your nib/feed unit does have a flow problem. I did not have to flush mine out with soapy water, but I might have had to floss the nib to increase the flow. (I sometimes do that with new pens because I tend to like a relatively wet flow.) You might want to contact the seller, because problems like this should not happen with Pilot pens.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

The rotating of the converter may have loosened up the nib and feed. Try wiggling the nib gently to see if it has come loose. This may be partially the cause of the problem. Also, I'd never wash out a pen with soapy water. If soap residue is left behind, it could wreak havoc with the ink flow. To get rid of it, just run the section under warm water for a while, to force any remaining residue out. If you've got ammonia, create a 1:10 solution and rinse with that to be on the safe side.

But all in all, the CON-70 shouldn't require such force to mount it as to cause pain in your fingers! That's a bit suspicious...

If you have a cartridge, I'd take out the CON-70 and try mounting the cartridge. It is supposed to have the same opening size. If the cartridge requires the same amount of force, then something is up with the pen...

Edited by MYU

It's not an ebay pen, but from a reputable online seller. I can push in the CON-70 but I'm not sure if it goes in all the way. Will let the nib and section soak overnight in water, then trying filling with ink again. I'm not heavy handed with fountain pens as I have a number of F and XF nibs and are used to them.

If it makes you feel any better, I just bought a Pilot Custom 74 yesterday in Japan and the sales clerk had a terrible time getting the con-70 in and out. In the end she got pretty flustered and got another clerk to take it to the back where she could ream it out without making a scene.

I test wrote with the pen at the shop before buying it and it was fairly wet, but it's also a Medium-Fine. I found the Fine nib wrote pretty dry and made the ink a bit too pale, with no shading, so I went for the step up.

Neill

Thanks, Neill! Yes, it does make me feel better. :) Sounds like a QC issue with the con-70. I'll try to get it replaced, unless it's too much of a hassle, then I'll lightly sand the protruding line off. I didn't get to try the Custom 74 in a brick and motar shop and ordered mine online. I'm soaking the nib and section in a diluted ammonia solution overnight (er, is that correct?) and hoping that it recovers.