More questions about the Pilot Custom 74

holgalee

Hiyee all. I've been thinking about getting this pen for a loonngg time (all of two weeks!) but hope to get more information before deciding.

1. How does the Custom 74 nib compare with the Pilot Prera or Vanishing Point's nibs, in terms of line width and smoothness? I've tested the Vanishing Point's F nib to be about the same as the Prera's M nib.

2. What about the size of the section? Is it slightly broader than the Pilot Prera or the same?

3. Are the weights of the pens about the same?

Anything else about the Custom 74--rants and raves--that I should know? If I do get the pen, I'll get the CON-70 as well. Thanks in advance! :happyberet:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• holgalee

• Siv

• MYU

• PinarelloOnly

I don't have a Prera, but I'm sure the Custom 74's nib is considerably better than the Prera's. The VP is quite a different beast, but of similar quality to the Custom 74. I have M nibs for both the 74 and the VP, and both are quite smooth. I think the VP M and the Custom 74's M are similar in width. But the VP and the Custom 74 are very different designs, and the decision comes down to which one suits you better.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

The Pilot Custom 74 is in the same class as the Sailor 1911M, albeit a tad longer, and it's a great pen. I don't own a Prera and my VP nib is a fine so no comparison info from me. Sorry. But if you have a sailor 1911M, the width is about the same as that. You can look up some more quantitative numbers on the Ujuku shop website.

Everyman, I will go with thee

and be thy guide,

In thy most need to go

by thy side.

-Knowledge

Oh, and if you have a Custom 823, you can think of the Custom 74 as the more Plain Jane sister compared to the more exotic 823. The size is approximately the same, but the 823 is a little heavier.

and be thy guide,

In thy most need to go

by thy side.

-Knowledge

Oh, and if you have a Custom 823, you can think of the Custom 74 as the more Plain Jane sister compared to the more exotic 823. The size is approximately the same, but the 823 is a little heavier.

I would beg to differ. The custom 74 comes with Pilots No 5 nib which is functional but similar in performance to a VP. The bamboo or 742 is a better writing pen and comes with a No 10 nib. The 823 comes with a No 15 nib and this is the same nib you get on the 743 and 845 - probably the best user grade nib made by pilot. The only nib bigger than this is the No 50 found on the $1000s Emperor class pens... The size of all these pens is almost irrelevant - it certainly is not where the cost differential is - the cost is all in the nib (unless there is Urushi involved).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

The Pilot Custom 74 is in the same class as the Sailor 1911M, albeit a tad longer, and it's a great pen. I don't own a Prera and my VP nib is a fine so no comparison info from me. Sorry. But if you have a sailor 1911M, the width is about the same as that. You can look up some more quantitative numbers on the Ujuku shop website.

I much prefer my Pilot Custom 74 to my Sailor 1911M, mostly because of the nib, I think.

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

I would beg to differ. The custom 74 comes with Pilots No 5 nib which is functional but similar in performance to a VP. The bamboo or 742 is a better writing pen and comes with a No 10 nib. The 823 comes with a No 15 nib and this is the same nib you get on the 743 and 845 - probably the best user grade nib made by pilot. The only nib bigger than this is the No 50 found on the $1000s Emperor class pens... The size of all these pens is almost irrelevant - it certainly is not where the cost differential is - the cost is all in the nib (unless there is Urushi involved).

Yah the nib sizes are much different between the 823 and the 74 but I don't personally feel any difference in terms of writing quality. Hehe but you should see my horrible handwriting, that might explain why I can't tell the difference. I just meant that both the 823 and the 74 have comparable (IMHO) springiness and smoothness of the point. I have medium points in both pens and they both look well shaped under a loupe and write great. But yeah QC and overall quality is probably better on the larger nib.

I much prefer my Pilot Custom 74 to my Sailor 1911M, mostly because of the nib, I think.

I actually feel the same way. The weight and balance of my Custom 74 feels better compared to the 1911M, but I didn't have a good basis for judgment since I have a fine nib in my 1911M and a medium nib in my Custom 74. The sweet spot of the 1911M is smaller as would be expected from a finer point.

and be thy guide,

In thy most need to go

by thy side.

-Knowledge

Thank you for all the replies! :) I already own a Prera and a Vanishing Point, the former in F and M nibs, the latter in F.

The Prera's F writes about 0.3mm, but the Vanishing Point's F is around 0.45mm. So what is the Custom 74's F and M like, I wonder?

What inks do you use with your Custom 74? I've never had a demonstrator before (not counting the Platinum Preppy). Does the pen stain easily?

The Prera's F writes about 0.3mm, but the Vanishing Point's F is around 0.45mm. So what is the Custom 74's F and M like, I wonder?

What inks do you use with your Custom 74? I've never had a demonstrator before (not counting the Platinum Preppy). Does the pen stain easily?

IMHO, the Custom 74 performs just like the Vanishing Point in nib feel and line width.

As for the staining, it's not really a staining issue but within the section there are tubes within tubes with almost no gap between them. I managed to get purple ink in the gap and it wouldn't come out even after soaking for weeks!

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

IMHO, the Custom 74 performs just like the Vanishing Point in nib feel and line width.

As for the staining, it's not really a staining issue but within the section there are tubes within tubes with almost no gap between them. I managed to get purple ink in the gap and it wouldn't come out even after soaking for weeks!

Thanks, Siv! I'm assuming you have the VP and Custom 74 in F? Or in M? I've read that the VP's M is quite broad.

The Prera's F nib produces a lines about 0.3mm, while the VP's is about 0.45-0.5mm, but I'm not sure whether the Custom 74's F is the same as the VP's. The shop which I'm interested in only has stocks for M, so I have a bad feeling it'll be too broad, if it's not the same as the Prera's M, but more like the VP's.

Why cant a pen manufacturer standardize their own nib sizes? :rolleyes:

Thanks, Siv! I'm assuming you have the VP and Custom 74 in F? Or in M? I've read that the VP's M is quite broad.

I have had VPs in all nib sizes and Custom 74s in F, M and SM.

- The SM in a black bodied pen gave the best nib feel of the lot but I sold and replaced it with a Nakaya with a similar nib.

- The F (which was a clear one) was nice but uninspiring as my F VPs felt the same - it was also sold.

- I still have the M but it's in a crane Maki-E pen whose design I can't bring myself to part with - I probably haven't inked it in 6 months though.

........ The custom 74 comes with Pilots No 5 nib which is functional but similar in performance to a VP. The bamboo or 742 is a better writing pen and comes with a No 10 nib. The 823 comes with a No 15 nib and this is the same nib you get on the 743 and 845 - probably the best user grade nib made by pilot. .......

What are you talking about? The only thing you got right is that the nibs are a different size but one dosen't write or perform better than the other.

........ The custom 74 comes with Pilots No 5 nib which is functional but similar in performance to a VP. The bamboo or 742 is a better writing pen and comes with a No 10 nib. The 823 comes with a No 15 nib and this is the same nib you get on the 743 and 845 - probably the best user grade nib made by pilot. .......

What are you talking about? The only thing you got right is that the nibs are a different size but one dosen't write or perform better than the other.

What may be better or best for one person should not be considered a general description of a company's performance, or an assessment with which other users will agree.

Siv likes the 15 better than the 10, better than the 5. I have never written with the 15, but the 10 nib I owned was in my opinion considerably less suited to my writing than the several 5 nibs I have owned. It was stiffer and just seemed bland, while the 5 nibs were springier and gave me a better feel of actually writing with a fountain pen.

Clearly I'm talking out of my bum! Why not share your experiences with the various nib sizes? You have a Bamboo and you want a 832 - why not give you're feelings on why these pens are in your sights when they all perform the same?

I agree with Siv on the #15 nib--it's fabulous. But the #5 is no slouch either. I guess you just have to try them out yourself.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

Clearly I'm talking out of my bum! Why not share your experiences with the various nib sizes? You have a Bamboo and you want a 832 - why not give you're feelings on why these pens are in your sights when they all perform the same?

I do not want a 832 but I do own an 823. It has a No.15 nib and I would not write like you have...."probably the best user grade nib made by pilot"....

All three nib sizes are top notch.

Holgalee........

If someone tells you to buy an 823 because it has a better nib than a Custom 74. Do not listen to this person. Bad advice!!!!

Everybody has their opinions but you never get the answer you really need.

Dr. Grace already stated that the VP and 74 nibs are two different designs....I can't state that any better.

If you choose the Custom 74 I am sure you made the right decision for yourself because it sounds like that is the one you really want.

Hmmm... it seems that this thread has degenerated into personal attacks. I happen to think the #15 nib IS much better than the #5, as Siv says. And I also like the 823 much better than the 74. But it's all a matter of opinion, so please relax, people!

Indeed. Perhaps I should preface my posts with "In my personal humble opinion which is probably wrong but I'm just writing here because I have nothing better to do" - but then I should preface all my posts on this forum with that. All this forum is filled with are opinions!

Oh yeah, and I'm not allowed to make typing errors either. My appppologies.

-

Anyway, back to pens, I still think the No15 nibs are great. Especially if you have a FA nib - I have read reports that the No10 FA is easier to over flex and damage than a No15.

Holgalee - my advice to you is to give a custom 74, 823 and VPs of different nib sizes all a try and see which ones you like best. There are a number of FPN users from Singapore so it should be nothing more than a MRT ride for you to meet up with some and try their pens! Alternatively, Tay from pensinasia.com is a very nice guy and may well be able to help you out.

You could even contact Pilot Singapore directly:

Address

We are located at:

20 Kaki Bukit Place Singapore 416198

Email

mktg@pilotpen.com.sg

Telephone

You can call our office at:

(65) 67487722

Fax

Alternatively you can fax us at:

(65) 67482727

Edited by Siv

Hmmm... it seems that this thread has degenerated into personal attacks. I happen to think the #15 nib IS much better than the #5, as Siv says. And I also like the 823 much better than the 74. But it's all a matter of opinion, so please relax, people!

Haha yeah, it's all a matter of opinion, no need to get defensive. Everyone made some good points. I only have a #15 (custom 823) and a #5 (custom 74) and I happen to think that nib-wise they perform the same. But I also think that the 823 is a better pen in overall design and quality.

OP, I wouldn't hesitate from getting a Custom 74, that's for sure. Get it used and it'll be a real value. I got mine for 70 clams shipped from a fellow FPN member.

and be thy guide,

In thy most need to go

by thy side.

-Knowledge