Meisterstuck 149 Recommended?

JRAWKER

Hello,

I'm set to take a few very important tests over the next few days that involve a lot of essay writing so naturally I'm looking for the best pen to facilitate this.

Here's the question: approximately how many pages is it before you have to refill this pen?

Also, if the test uses cheap, almost waxy paper, would you recommend using one of these?

Is there another pen you can recommend?

Thanks.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCkc

• JRodriguez

• Bryan

• Glenn-SC

While the 149 is an excellent pen, I would not take "important" tests with a brand new pen. Some pens need breaking in; some pens you have to get used to; and some pens don't work reliably right out of the box. Pick two or threee of your most reliable writers. This seems particularly important since you are not sure of the quality of the paper.

If you have some time (and don't need to study) you could get the pen, and write with it a couple of days to get used to it and feel confident it will work the way you expect.

I agree with Piano Player's suggestions. If you want to go into long exams, the best idea is to use a pen you are comfortable with.

In the future, you might want to consider a pen with huge ink capacity for really long writing sessions. My Dani Trio Mikado size Matte Ebonite carries lots of ink.

Good luck in your exams!

Alejandro

I agree with everybody (not normally, just in this thread). Choose a known good pen, have another comfortable pen as a reserve. Oh, and carry a ballpoint, just in case they give you awful paper. Not a rollerball, a ballpoint. A ghastly thought, but you have to be prepared.

A very long time ago I had some big exams coming up, and looked for a pen with which I could write fast and which had a good ink supply. I got a Montblanc 12 (that's how long ago it was -- it was a new pen), and I was very happy with it. That pen would go for three hours writing real fast (they were, mostly, that sort of exam) without a refill.

Hello,

I'm set to take a few very important tests over the next few days that involve a lot of essay writing so naturally I'm looking for the best pen to facilitate this.

Here's the question: approximately how many pages is it before you have to refill this pen?

Also, if the test uses cheap, almost waxy paper, would you recommend using one of these?

Is there another pen you can recommend?

Thanks.

MB149 (MED with a wet flow) has a capacity that should cover your exams.

Conservatively, I think at least 30 pages double sided 8.5 x 11" with college rule and medium size hand writing (that's me).

My 149 wrote right out of the box. If yours did not write right out of the box then I would not bring it.

Also coated paper may not dry as fast, can feather, or smudge if you are using a FP.

Having said that, why not :

1. bring a back up MP or BP or RB

2. bring your favourite c/c filler and some extra cartridges

3. bring along a cool Visconti Travel ink pot with your favourite ink and favourite bottle filling pen

Unless you "really need" to use a MB149 for an exam, I do not see any reason to justify getting one simply for an important exam. How about having is as a reward AFTER the exam for studying hard ?? ;)

Edited by KCkc

All wonderful comments. I do have to politely take issue with the last of Kckc's, however. I think you do need to celebrate before the test with a new MB 149 for the great job your going to do, and then celebrate again after you do great :lol: .

The MB 149 holds more then enough ink for a written exam. I find mine very comfortable to write with for extended amounts of time. That said, a Densho or Mikado will hold more ink and are much easier on the pocket book and are also very nice to write with. (If given the choice/money aside/I'd choose the 149 then the Mikado then the Densho)

Good luck on your exam, use Noodler's black which is a very good ink for multiple paper grades.

-Bryan

http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

All wonderful comments. I do have to politely take issue with the last of Kckc's, however. I think you do need to celebrate before the test with a new MB 149 for the great job your going to do, and then celebrate again after you do great :lol: .

:lol: :D B) :P

I ike your "thinking outside the box" approach to rewards :) ;)

The MB 149 holds more then enough ink for a written exam. I find mine very comfortable to write with for extended amounts of time. That said, a Densho or Mikado will hold more ink and are much easier on the pocket book and are also very nice to write with. (If given the choice/money aside/I'd choose the 149 then the Mikado then the Densho)

Folllowing that logic, Lamy Safaris write wonderfully well and you could buy oh say 20 of those (I have NO IDEA what a Mont Blunc costs these days) and not have to ever worry about running out of ink. :P

On an important exam, I would never use an untried pen and ink combination (regardless of brand).

I think an important exam is one heck of a good rationalization for buying new pen! A MB 149? Go for it.

I do agree with the others that taking an important exam with an untired pen is not a good idea. If the 149 writes well out of the box then take it, but have a back up - or two.

My personal note is that I don't carry my 149 outside the house for fear of breaking it. I treat it as if it were a glass pen. For instances when I might need a high capacity ink pen that is reliable as well as durable, and I must carry it ourside the house, I have in fact taken to using my Dani raw ebonite Densho.

Bad paper is yet another issue. As someone commented, even a roller might be a poor choice for really bad paper. I have a Fisher 30-year Space Pen that I use for bad paper days (usually filling out forms printed on questionable paper). It is a ball point with a nice B point that is smooth and fluid. The pen is short but posts reasonably long. It is wide in diameter, somewhere between a MB 146 and 149, and, for me, very comfortable to use. It is made of chrome, and I don't like to grip metal, so for me that is a compromise. (Note: this pen does not take a refill. It will supposedly write a line from the earth to the moon and back, but, when it is out of ink, you must send it to Fisher for replacement.)

By the way, good luck on the exam. My university days are decades behind me but I remember the anxiety of major exams as if it were yesterday.

Well I think that you should definitely go for that Meisterstuck 149, as I have one. It is an excellent writer, smooth and comfortable. However, if I were you I would spring for a Pelikan M800 (perhaps a Fine) as they are found for about $230-270 compared to the 149 at $575. Also, the 149 has a chance of "sweating," or leaving moisture and ink on the nib whether stored in a hot place or not (at least this has been the case in my experience). The M800 is very comfortable and reliable. I cannot recommend it enough!! But, if you have small-ish hands, maybe get an M600 or M400. Happy Buying!! -Luke

Current Collection:

1922 BCHR Waterman No. 52

1941 Parker Vacumatic Major (Canada)

1946 Parker Vacumatic Major (U.S.)

1957/8 Parker Duofold Maxima (U.K.)

No offense, but 149's just seem GROSSLY overpriced for what they are ... basically an M800 or an Aurora black resin Optima, each of which is roughly half the cost of a 149 ... hell, buy the both of 'em and give yourself a double treat!

I learned my lesson after buying a Solitaire roller ball. That "special resin" seems like jst brittle plastic waiting to shatter. You could get a nice celluloid self filler from Visconti or Stipula (even an Omas Ogiva celluloid) for the price ... ya just don't get the little snow covered mountain peak. <_<

I agree about the price and it would be really hard to argue that the Montblanc isn't a ridiculously priced pen. I guess at some point I began turning off my reason when it comes to that :lol: . Actually its probably better that you do so as well, that way you can save those important reasoning skills for the exam! ;)

I would definitely NOT take a brand new pen. I would be certain to have a back-up (or two or three). And I would absolutely use one of Noodlers permanent inks (sweaty hands during tests make a huge mess, plus you don't want to chance the prof getting ink smeared on him/herself when grading due to sweaty hands, moisture from a drink, etc.). As to the 149 itself - personal choice. For sheer ink capacity, you're not going to beat one of the Danitrio ED's. The Densho holds 3.6 ml of ink.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

To be honest, MB fountain pens these days have quality control problem. I have quiet a few of them: 145, 146, 149, F, M, B, OB nibs. Some are great writers out of the box, but most are pretty terrible. My complaint is that most MB are pretty dry out of the box.

If you decided to get one in the store, make sure you bring some cheap legal pad paper. The paper at the MB store are polished paper that's always smooth.

Both 146 and 149 are very comfortable to write with for extended time. With medium or fine nibs, you should be able to write for a whole day. I think 149 holds about 3ml of ink (that's a lot).

For test taking, I highly recommend a large size Dupont Orpheo. They are much better writers than MB pens and only a little more expensive than the 149.