Levenger Cobalt Blue

dizzypen

I use this ink mixed 1:1 with Pilot Blue for a nice, reasonably quick drying ink with good water resistance.

Well, good, since I've got a bottle and a half of it left, now I know I can do something with it besides smear.

If you assume 90% of what I say about the law is either naked self-promotion or zealous advocacy on behalf of my clients, then you'll never be disappointed. @mikewas

ACQUIRED! Levenger Seas/Sheaffer Connaisseur Tasman

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lloyd

• lapis

• jomielll

• FloridaMike

The sad thing is that this one is not available in Europe. :crybaby:

Sure, it's probably too late to mention this now, but mail or phone Rolf at Missing pen. He does have it. Tell him "Mike sent me".

Yeah yeah :glare:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 2 weeks later...

I do love the color of this ink however I must complain that it feathers extremely easily and with this ink being the first ink that I used, I was scared away form the fountain pen world at first due to this inks feathering. It is also very wet/takes a while to dry.

• 8 months later...

Oddly, though my screen name suggests the use of Levenger ink, I had rarely used it. Picked up a set of Levenger inks and am loving all of the colors. It is quite pen-friendly with all of my pens. Just ordered the multi-pack of cartridges too so that I can travel on the plane with my pens!!

empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

• 8 months later...

When I first went to bottled ink from cartridges, I bought a bottle of this and a bottle of Levenger Raven Black. Looking at your scans reminds me of some of the things I liked (and disliked) about it Likes: That beautiful blue color. I used it often when signing tax returns so I could tell which was the original and which was the copy..... Some of my dislikes about it? It seemed to take forever to dry. I was using it in one of two pens (been a while so I am not sure which I used it in more) A Lamy Alloy and my Waterman Phileas both with fine nibs.

Needless to say I don't have any left, but I do have some of the Raven Black left.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I ordered a bottle each of Cobalt Blue and Empyrean during the U.S. Thanksgiving sales at Levenger. Cobalt Blue is a beautiful color.....to my eye it is just a bit brighter than Parker Penman Sapphire with no sheen. The ink is extremely wet and leaves bleed through blots on the underside of the paper at the point where each & every word is started (on every type of paper....copy paper, journal pages, monogrammed notepads, everything on which I've used it so far). I've tried it in three pens and it seems to behave best with my Levenger True Writer fine nib, though it demonstrates nib creep there. Using it in a Picasso 915 (Chinese medium point) was just unbearable due to the volume of ink flowing to the paper.

A side note: the Empyrean arrived as shown on their website, with lovely gold script on the glass ink bottle. The Cobalt Blue, however, arrived with a misaligned paper label glued to the trademark Levenger ink bottle. Not a big deal at all, just an interesting change in presentation for one of their trademark products.

Not strickly a reply: Has anyone tried the Private Reserve Cosmic Cobalt ? I just recently purchased some and I like the color, it flows nicely, and seems to have a fairly fast dry time in my Falcon. I did look at the levenger ( I like the Circa brand) but went with the PR.

Doug________________________Dad's 1946 DuofoldMy 1964 45Parker Place VendomeParker Sonnet"Special" Hand turned Buffalo Horn FPand looking

Not strickly a reply: Has anyone tried the Private Reserve Cosmic Cobalt ? I just recently purchased some and I like the color, it flows nicely, and seems to have a fairly fast dry time in my Falcon. I did look at the levenger ( I like the Circa brand) but went with the PR.

Hi,

:W2FPN:

Not to derail this thread, but . . .

PR Cosmic Cobalt and Levenger Cobalt are significantly different inks; and I do not consider them to be interchangeable / visual equivalents.

I continue to use PRCC as a stand-in for Herbin Eclat de Saphir.

My Review of PRCC - LINK

If I may be so bold, I suggest sharing your experience with PRCC in that or some other thread.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• 1 year later...

I use this ink with an antique Esterbrook desk pin with a signature stub {9314-b} for signing letters, pleadings and the like. It shades beautifully, John Hancock would be pleased!

• 10 months later...

I recently purchased a Xezo Incognito pen, and it tended to be a very dry-writing pen. After reading several comments about Levenger Cobalt Blue ink and the comments about how wet it writes, I decided to try it in this pen. I can say that I am very pleased with the results. The pen, with a fine nib, now writes smoothly; I am not experiencing any feathering of note; and I love the ink's color. I am confident I found the right ink for this great pen.