Bexley Simplicity Cherry Haze

dandelion

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/petraplutten/Bexley004.jpg

I had been curious of Bexley pens a while before I purchased this pen. I also like the story behind Bexley pens and when I saw this flattop model in cherry red I decided to get one. Especially as the price seemed very reasonable this being a quality pen cheered by enthusiasts. Now I've used it a lot during 10 days and think I can write a fairly balanced review.

First Impression: I had very high expectations and even though I instantly liked the vivid, candy red, patterned and shimmering plastic, I was slightly disappointed of the cap. The top section of the cap (above the clip) is black and I would have prefered an all-red cap.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/petraplutten/Bexley_0005.jpg

I was also (I'm a shape fanatic) slightly disappointed that the edge of the cap has a rounded profile, not a straight one. I had also expected it to be a little bit more sophisticated than this very happy, bright hard red candy. It doesn't look cheap, though - only more playful than I had expected. A happy surprise was that the Cherry Haze is somewhat translucent, which add much to the beautiful red colour. I've tried to capture it in the picture below. It doesn't make justice to the translucent, beautiful red, but it gives a notion of it.

3.75/5

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/petraplutten/Bexley_0001.jpg

Size & Weight : It is a medium sized pen that measures 13.2 cm capped, 17.5 (!) cm posted and 12.3 cm uncapped. Weight is approx 20 g. No grade needed.

Design/Build: The classic flattop design is very attractive in my eyes. Except for my critique above of the cap it is a well designed pen. Nothing cheap about its build and it doesn't appear fragile. The clip is very nice and the nib is rather big which suits this design. The nib has a clean and simple engraved pattern. 3.75/5

Nib: The nib is an F which is made of steel and is large with an F and Schmidt iridium point inscribed along with the engraved pattern mentioned above. The nib is very good. It wrote right out of the box and is smooth, medium wet and is a pleasure to write letters with. It is a true F on the verge to XF, which I like very much. It is smooth, but gives some feedback and the flow is neither to wet or to dry. This is a nib that suits very well for notetaking - extensive everyday writing. 4.25/5.

Function/Ergonomics: It is very comfortable to write with. Well balanced, light and easy to use for extensive writing. The nib is very, very good according to its price. But, as it must be a but, the posting could be better. It feels like the barrel is slightly too wide for the barrel and I would like to be able to post it more safely to the barrel. It feels like the cap is posted on the very verge of the barrel. The posting problems is responsible for the rather low grade. If the posting problem should be excluded I think I'd graded it around 4-4.25 in this section. 3.50/5

Filling: The filling system is a c/c and it comes with a converter. Easy to use. I don't grade it because it is a normally functioning c/c. I think it has its place and it is very convenient to be able to choose between cartridge and converters - especially when travelling. I also like that international standard cartridges can be used (Brands that persist having their own cartridge standards annoys me).

Value for the money: I got this for $90 and it gives very good value for the money. I like it and am growing more and more found of it. One extra plus is the registration form that comes with the pen. If you fill in the form and send it to Bexley you have a life time warranty. That is amazing for this kind of pen. 4.25/5

Conclusion: This is a very nice pen. It was not exactly as I had expected, but most surprises was on the good side. Especially the nib gives very good value for the money. I have gotten curious to try Bexleys more expensive. This is a quality pen for a very good price. And my sympathetic notion of the Bexley company has been confirmed.

Total grade: 19.50/25/dandelion

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/petraplutten/Bexley001.jpg

Edited for grammar and adding two new pics.

Edited by dandelion

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dandelion

• GladWriter

• MCosta77777

• zquilts

Hi,

Nice review,

I also have on in Caramel color. Very nice smooth nib, but I do agree with you about the posting fo the cap. Just doesn't work for me as well.

Cheers,

Miguel

Thank you for the review.

I'd love to see a closeup of the pen, it's a beautiful color.

I own two Bexley FPs and two clutch pencils. I find their plastics quite beautiful.

Gladwriter

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gladtobemom/Pens/SailorEFDemonstrator-1.jpg

Great review of a great pen. Its affordable, looks good, is well designed and well made, and writes well. Sometimes you do not even get that with pens many hundreds of dollars more.

Thanks. I've added a couple of (slightly) better pics to get a better impression of the colour.

Thank you for the review.

I'd love to see a closeup of the pen, it's a beautiful color.

I own two Bexley FPs and two clutch pencils. I find their plastics quite beautiful.

This is a well done review. Thank you.

I have been a Bexley fan since they opened their doors for business. I have found their pens to be of consistent excellent quality and their customer service to be equally excellent. The only real problem with Bexley products is that one is never enough! :P :cloud9:

I am the proud owner of a Bexley Americana in Sanibel Blue and I can only applaud Bexley for the quality of their nibs.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/petraplutten/Bexley_0001.jpg

Thank you for posting the picture. It IS a gorgeous pen. My word, but isn't that a beautiful red!

Gladwriter

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gladtobemom/Pens/SailorEFDemonstrator-1.jpg

Very nice review, thank you.

I fell for this pen the moment I saw it. I really like the deep red and black. It's the kind I'd have commissioned had they not come out with one. I've always liked the Bexley nibs, too. Always been smooth for me.

This is the only pen that I wish I could post, but it really isn't good for posting at all. Nonetheless, I don't regret my purchase of this pen in any way.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Hi Petra,

Do you think this pen would be perfect for your Diamine Claret?

Regards,

Soki

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

First Impression[/b]: I had very high expectations and even though I instantly liked the vivid, candy red, patterned and shimmering plastic, I was slightly disappointed of the cap. The top section of the cap (above the clip) is black and I would have prefered an all-red cap.

I was also (I'm a shape fanatic) slightly disappointed that the edge of the cap has a rounded profile, not a straight one. I had also expected it to be a little bit more sophisticated than this very happy, bright hard red candy. It doesn't look cheap, though - only more playful than I had expected. A happy surprise was that the Cherry Haze is somewhat translucent, which add much to the beautiful red colour. I've tried to capture it in the picture below. It doesn't make justice to the translucent, beautiful red, but it gives a notion of it.

Hello and thanks for the beautiful review. I own an earlier Simplicity with a fine nib and it was great "right out of the box," too. The first Simplicity models do not have a black top and the top is flat (no curves). They are still available at sites like http://www.isellpens.com/bexley.html (I have no affiliation, but I am a happy customer). They sell for U.S. $74.98 and Todd at isellpens has them in the original four colors: bronze pearl, tortoise (both w/gold-plated clip & trim), teal; cracked ice (both with chrome-plated clip & trim). The fountain pens come with the same gold-plated or unplated Schmidt threaded nib.

I'll try to upload a photo from my computer.

Regards, Robert

Edited by Robert Alan

No matter where you go, there you are.

Hello Soki,

Maybe a little too much of pink in the Claret, BUT if you don't need a perfect colourmatch I think it would be rather awesome.

Best/Petra

Hi Petra,

Do you think this pen would be perfect for your Diamine Claret?

Regards,

Soki

Since I've been writing with the Bexley everyday since the purchase and the review I'd like to add a few things:

This is indeed a real good writer. The nib should actually be graded 4.50. I'm writing an essay, and even if I'm computerized I write my notes and some drafts by hand (surprise) and this pen is close to perfect for this kind of extensive writing. It doesn't dry out in a moment if I leave it uncapped for a while when reading or checking something. The beautiful, semi translucent, shimmering red cheers me up when I'm stuck or bored. And - as someone mentioned in another Bexley review - the cap is very secure. This is a beautiful, rather affordable, reliable pen, with a performance that is worth a lot more than the normal retail price for it. (But, please don't increase the price). Its very nice to see that a steel nib can perform as well as gold nib. A good steel nib is far better than a mediocre gold nib.

PS Thanks for the positive response on the review!

Edited by dandelion

• 1 year later...

Recently purchased Bexley Simplicity, and the pen is proving to be one of my favoritest. Use it daily, and it always performs well. Nice review.