My first Estie

Rob G

That's a nice looking Blackie. One day I need to get me one and see if I can turn it into obsidian.

;)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• gweimer1

• kathleen

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just came across my first Esterbrook, and it just happened to be one of the very first fountain pens I have ever had my hands on. I am a southpaw, and I somehow took it into my head that I could never use a fountain pen without a smeary mess. Though, I have always admired them. After reading the thread on fountain pens at SomethingAwful.com I realized that all those forlorn looks I've tossed at fountain pens over the years were just ridiculous. I went out and bought a pack of Pilot Varsity pens just to get my feet wet. I loved the smmoth writing, but hated the thick messy lines on the Varsity, even with what they call a fine point. I marched myself straight to the first pen shop I found and bought a black Pilot Knight.

Where does the Esterbrook come in you ask? Well, after showing my in-laws the lovely new Knight they offered to pull out the fountain pens that had belonged to my husband's grandfather. He was a lawyer and tended to buy, and take great care of, especially nice things. They unrolled a huge collection that had nothing less than a 1947 Parker 51 Aerometric, another Parker 51, a blue diamond toting Parker Vacumatic, and lo shining in the midst of all that fountain pen glory was the one pen I just couldn't take my eyes off of - a silver grey Esterbrook LJ? with a 2556 nib. I mean, I know there are some really execptional pens in the collection, but that Estie just captured my heart. Sadly, it is not functional. At some point the entire bladder seems to have been removed. So my Knight tides me over, but I long to get that Esterbrook operational.

Edited by Caprice

I am my Knight's lady...until the Esterbrook gets fixed.

I just came across my first Esterbrook, and it just happened to be one of the very first fountain pens I have ever had my hands on. I am a southpaw, and I somehow took it into my head that I could never use a fountain pen without a smeary mess. Though, I have always admired them. After reading the thread on fountain pens at SomethingAwful.com I realized that all those forlorn looks I've tossed at fountain pens over the years were just ridiculous. I went out and bought a pack of Pilot Varsity pens just to get my feet wet. I loved the smmoth writing, but hated the thick messy lines on the Varsity, even with what they call a fine point. I marched myself straight to the first pen shop I found and bought a black Pilot Knight.

Where does the Esterbrook come in you ask? Well, after showing my in-laws the lovely new Knight they offered to pull out the fountain pens that had belonged to my husband's grandfather. He was a lawyer and tended to buy, and take great care of, especially nice things. They unrolled a huge collection that had nothing less than a 1947 Parker 51 Aerometric, another Parker 51, a blue diamond toting Parker Vacumatic, and lo shining in the midst of all that fountain pen glory was the one pen I just couldn't take my eyes off of - a silver grey Esterbrook LJ? with a 2556 nib. I mean, I know there are some really execptional pens in the collection, but that Estie just captured my heart. Sadly, it is not functional. At some point the entire bladder seems to have been removed. So my Knight tides me over, but I long to get that Esterbrook operational.

Looking two posts back in this thread, post #159 That's my Estie Silver Gray LJ. It is a beautiful pen. Esterbrooks are pretty easy to restore if they just need a new sac or J bar. Since your pen belonged to someone who "tended to buy and take great care of especially nice things" I'm willing to bet your pen only needs a re-sac. There are videos on this network showing how to cement a new sac and links to order supplies. You can have that beautiful Estie that "captured your heart" functional in no time!

Welcome to "Estieville"! Beware, There is a contagion here , Bet you can't have just one".

Edited by kathleen

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

my first from a flea market a few months ago was a copper J.

post-14061-036950100 1284583414.jpg

I thought it to be the only one I would buy but the seven since have proved that theory wrong

"I'm to drunk to taste this chicken." -Colonel Sanders

• 1 month later...

My story is that I am new to Fountain pens, obtaining my first good writer (a Lamy Safari) in September (2010). It writes pretty well, though I the fine nib is not as smooth as descriptions of those of other pens.

Looking through the forums, I saw that Esterbrook J's were recommended as good "starter" pens, so I thought I would try one out, for comparison. I bid on E-Bay last Saturday, losing one bid after another as the price climbed above $25 dollars, until I finally won a restored LJ for a bit less than twenty in my 7th bid.

I was worried that a 1461 nib wouldn't be very good, so I bid again on Tuesday for a J with a 1555 Gregg nib. It was stated to be in good condition but the seller didn't know if it worked.

Both pens came today, and they both appear to work well. The 1555 nib is giving a wide line and may be misaligned, but it is writing OK for me.

They are very nice. I am an Estie-loving convert!

Greg

My story is that I am new to Fountain pens, obtaining my first good writer (a Lamy Safari) in September (2010). It writes pretty well, though I the fine nib is not as smooth as descriptions of those of other pens.

Looking through the forums, I saw that Esterbrook J's were recommended as good "starter" pens, so I thought I would try one out, for comparison. I bid on E-Bay last Saturday, losing one bid after another as the price climbed above $25 dollars, until I finally won a restored LJ for a bit less than twenty in my 7th bid.

I was worried that a 1461 nib wouldn't be very good, so I bid again on Tuesday for a J with a 1555 Gregg nib. It was stated to be in good condition but the seller didn't know if it worked.

Both pens came today, and they both appear to work well. The 1555 nib is giving a wide line and may be misaligned, but it is writing OK for me.

They are very nice. I am an Estie-loving convert!

Greg

Welcome, Greg! Always good to see more people from Kentucky on here! As you know, there are many nib options out there, so don't give up if the 1555 or 1461 aren't quite what you're looking for. Be sure to give the 9 series nibs a try some time. :)

--Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

It's my beautiful silver gray LJ with #9668 nib and Noodler's Turquoise Eel.

Would look great in the hands of a "mechanical engineer". When my son completes his degree, it's his!

Funny thing. I just procured a blue Etsie for my son and ordered some Noodlers Bad Blue Heron to go with it as one of his Christmas presents. He's a Mechanical Engineer working on his PhD and this will be his first Esterbrook.

I've fallen down the Estie well....

It's my beautiful silver gray LJ with #9668 nib and Noodler's Turquoise Eel.

Would look great in the hands of a "mechanical engineer". When my son completes his degree, it's his!

Funny thing. I just procured a blue Etsie for my son and ordered some Noodlers Bad Blue Heron to go with it as one of his Christmas presents. He's a Mechanical Engineer working on his PhD and this will be his first Esterbrook.

I predict your son will love it. The Esterbrook lever fill pen is pure beauty and functionality married, not too complicated or over adorned, qualities a mechanical engineer usually appreciates.

Edited by kathleen

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

I was pretty sure I would only want the one that I first bought. I was really looking for Parker or Sheaffer but ended up with a Black J size Estie. I lazily put off resacking it but finally decided to try it out (had no idea it had interchangeable nibs). Inked it with some boring black ink and....what a smooth writer! I now have six Esterbrooks in both the J and SJ models. I have tried to obtain different nibs with each new pen so I am having some fun with them. I am trying to figure out how I ended up with several dozen vintage fountain pens before I got turned onto an Estie. Right now I think they are the best from all perspectives. They just look and feel write.

-William-

Greetings, all! I'm pleased to have the opportunity to join in the fun!

I have a small collection of pens--maybe 10 in all at this point, and half of them need repair. :unsure: Included in this odd little pile are a couple of Wearevers that I really know nothing about (but look cool ;) ), three Sheaffer Lifetimes, and my very first fountain pen, my Uncle's Parker.

Recently I decided to actually begin a focused collection of usable, functional, vintage pens. Esterbrook got my attention because they seemed to be the "everyman" pen. They were used in schools to teach penmanship, professionals used them on the job, and plain ol' folks used them as daily writers.

With that in mind, I simply walked into my local "junque shoppe" and rolled the dice. Well, guess what? My first Estie ended up being a "J-series double jewel" LJ Green Icicle---and it works! Fully functional and out the door for $7 bucks. Can't believe my luck! Loaded up with vivid green ink to match, and I'm running around looking for excuses to write something. Oh, I think I've got it baaaaad!

Will be attending the LA Pen Show in February, hoping to add to my new habit. This will be my first pen show, and I'm already counting the days.

Oh, no! Another case of Estie-itis. This pen needs to be looked at by the CDC. Send it off to Atlanta, with only one Estie and early treatment you may recover from a mild case of Estie-itis. Have you bought a Lamy yet? A modern Lamy may be the antedote.

Edited by kathleen

I am HOOKED!!!

I just received my first - a lovely green SJ from Frankiex. What a sweet pen! I bought a repalcement nib - a 1551 from Binder and swapped out the broad it came with - and its amazing.

the same day, a copper I bouight on ebgay arrived - turns out its not an SJ, but either a J or LJ. The sac is in excellent conditon, and teh fill lever has a good action. I took it out to my workshed lasst night, and while I was roasting some coffee, I polished it up with some HUT plastic polish I have from turning pens on the lathe. The copper celluloid is so nice!

Next week, I hope the one I found on a for-sale site for onlt $10 shows up. I was re-looking at the photo last night, and what I thought was an SJwill be another J or Lj (I wish I knew the difference) in grey, with a 1551 nib.

I am LOVING the Esterbrook!

Barry

I was re-looking at the photo last night, and what I thought was an SJwill be another J or Lj (I wish I knew the difference) .........

I am LOVING the Esterbrook!

Barry

Sometimes it is difficult to tell from photos.

Full size pen is J model @ 5 inches capped and has a larger cap jewel than a barrel jewel

LJ model is also 5 inches capped; however, it is a bit thinner in diameter than the J.

Cap and barrel jewel are same size.

SJ model is 4 3/4 inches capped and the same diameter as LJ.

Cap and barrel jewel are same size.

Here's a linke to R Binder's website on the topic:

http://www.richardsp.../profiles/j.htm

Edited by PenFisher

Just received my first Estie today (3 more on the way). It's a red J with a 1550 nib. The barrel and cap are in very good shape.

After a few tries under warm water, much to my surprise I was able to separate the section from the barrel. The J bar is rusted and the ink sac is dried out and disentegrated. It's perfect! A great pen to learn how to repair. Now I'm trying to decide if I should take out the sac tray and clean it. I'm not sure if I will be able to remove it, seems like it's in there solid. I think the J bar is too rusted to salvage, so I'll need to replace it.

It's the perfect repair starter pen. I'm very happy with my first Estie, even if it doesn't write yet. Hopefully I will be able to repair it and put it back together. Great feeling knowing I'm fixing a pen that probably hasn't been used in 20 years.

Bill

I guess it's time for me to report in with Esties number 1, 2 and 3. And I have 3 more on the way to me in the mail.

The first 3 are all SJs. From the listing photo I thought one would be a "J" but it was because of the camera perspective they looked to be different sizes. (lot of 2) That's OK, since my own initials are S.J. I did not intend to get involved in vintage pens at all, but I kept running across references to Esty SJs, and eventually figured I was meant to have one, since it had my initals.

Somehow, looking through Ebay, one turned into half a dozen. I have sacs on the way from pendemonium, but the first 2 at least don't need them, the existing sacs are fine. The pens just needed a through cleaning.

I think the next three are either LJ or Js. One is "Bell System Property" (Please don't tell Ma Bell that I have her pen) and one is inscribed for the Benefit Association of Railway Employees. The black pens with white lettering just look so 50's/60's that I couldn't resist bidding.

I guess it's time for me to report in with Esties number 1, 2 and 3. And I have 3 more on the way to me in the mail.

The first 3 are all SJs. From the listing photo I thought one would be a "J" but it was because of the camera perspective they looked to be different sizes. (lot of 2) That's OK, since my own initials are S.J. I did not intend to get involved in vintage pens at all, but I kept running across references to Esty SJs, and eventually figured I was meant to have one, since it had my initals.

Somehow, looking through Ebay, one turned into half a dozen. I have sacs on the way from pendemonium, but the first 2 at least don't need them, the existing sacs are fine. The pens just needed a through cleaning.

I think the next three are either LJ or Js. One is "Bell System Property" (Please don't tell Ma Bell that I have her pen) and one is inscribed for the Benefit Association of Railway Employees. The black pens with white lettering just look so 50's/60's that I couldn't resist bidding.

Congratulations on the Esties! (let me know what your bidding on so we can bid lower on them from now on! :mellow::embarrassed_smile:...:lol:) I would recommend you re-sac any Esterbrook unless you know that the previous owner has done so and you have checked his work. I thought it would be O.K. to let it slide but Rabbit let me know if you want to be on the safe side and give your Estie the care it deserves you should always double check even a soft sac for wear and durability.

The only Esterbrook I have not re-sacked would be one that came with a fully pliable and very wonderful ORIGINAL ESTERBROOK (Well it says Esterbrook in yellow print on the rubber sac so I think its original!) sac on a used SJ. I checked it for any worn areas and gave it a nice talc treatment. This is one of my prettiest and best behaved Esties so far!

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

Now I'm trying to decide if I should take out the sac tray and clean it. I'm not sure if I will be able to remove it, seems like it's in there solid. I think the J bar is too rusted to salvage, so I'll need to replace it.

Bill

The little amount of playing around with the sac tray that I've done leads me to believe that

getting it Back In correctly would not be so easy for me. I would avoid removing it unless there

was good reason too. Sometimes though, it may be necessary to carefully slide it back into position

directly under the fill lever.

I would not be so hasty to dismiss the rusty j-bar. They are often worse looking than they really

are. Steel wool is your friend to get the rust off.

Bruce in Oa, FL

My first Esterbrook came about 10 minutes ago in the mail, courtesy of Mr. Bruce (OcalaFlGuy)...and I am positively delighted!

The pen, a blue transitional with a period correct 9556 nib, is a very smooth and wet writer. It looks absolutely beautiful, and I can barely find any flaws with it.

An often mentioned syndrome on this forum is Esti-itis, where one can't stop buying up these little gems. Well, Mr. Bruce did such an excellent job on this pen, and I am so happy with it, that I do not feel the urge to buy any more Esties. If that doesn't tell you something about the quality of Mr. Bruce's service, it should!

I'll try to complete a review over the Thanksgiving holiday.

:cloud9:

Edited by PianoMan14

Soli Deo Gloria!

Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out!

I just got my first Estie: a red SJ on Ebay for $8.00! I teach English, so after I repair it, I'm going to find a good red ink and use my Red Estie to grade essays with! I'm looking forward to taking it apart this weekend, then I'll send away for whatever I need to repair it.

Anybody recommend a good red ink? Considering what I'll be using it for, a dark, blood-colored red might be most appropriate . . . MWAH HA HA!!

I got my first Esterbrook on Monday. It's a gorgeous deep red, the pattern is more "stripey" than "wavey". It works well, but I have a new nib on the way.

I do like this pen. The weight and balance is great.

To my horror I realize what I missed when I passed down on an e-bay lot of 6 Esterbrooks, all in different colours and all with different nibs, just because I didn't know the nibs were interchangeable. The nib I preferred was in the pen whith the colour I liked the least... All 6 for about $80 and in full working condition, looking well cared for and loved.