My first Estie

Rob G

Mine was a slick gray LJ that was practically new in box. Came with a 2668 that I ruined on an emory board after two days :P

Got a black J in the mail today with a clean 9668, and was able to finally get the sections apart to check sacks, both are great, and now easy to access in case of a change.

Bought a 9128 from Leo on this forum, and some osmiroid italic nibs from that art supply place.

A minty green J (or maybe sj?) is coming in the mail next week, can't wait. I'm hooked on fp's for the first time since 5th grade.

Die Erste Estie: first of the bunch.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h161/bla...090819_0104.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• gweimer1

• kathleen

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How did I rack up 1100+ posts on FPN before getting my first Esterbrook?! I bought one of the black Ft Wayne Community School SJs with a sweet 9556 nib that was in the FS board not too long ago. I never knew I'd get along so well with a teensy tiny pen like that, but it's been getting first pick every morning for the last week. Don't worry, it won't be lonely long. I've got a Grey J or LJ coming in from the 'bay and about 4 more that I'm watching. :bunny01:

Edited by bphollin

• 2 weeks later...

I received my 1st Estie today, a copper double jeweled J, which writes beautifully, comparable to my Parker 51's and my Golden pearl vac as the best writers in my collection. Thank you Tom Heath, who sold it to me on FPN! I had been concerned that the 1554 nib would be dry, but it writes a wet fine-medium line, just like I like it. I suppose it's good that Esties are underappreciated, as it keeps the prices down!

I received my 1st Estie today, a copper double jeweled J, which writes beautifully, comparable to my Parker 51's and my Golden pearl vac as the best writers in my collection. Thank you Tom Heath, who sold it to me on FPN! I had been concerned that the 1554 nib would be dry, but it writes a wet fine-medium line, just like I like it. I suppose it's good that Esties are underappreciated, as it keeps the prices down!

Congrats on the new Estie. Coming from Tom it's guaranteed to be a beautiful pen. The toughest thing with a pen from Tom is deciding whether to write with it or hold it and look at it.

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

-----

Common sense isn't "right wing" unless you are too far to the left.

-----

www.ebookgab.com for all readers of ebooks

• 4 weeks later...

Started the week on a nice note as I received my 1st Estie today- a green J with a 2556 and an additional 2668 nib. This was from Tom Heath's collection and I totally agree with fellow FPNer LDB415 when he says "The toughest thing with a pen from Tom is deciding whether to write with it or hold it and look at it"-I am facing the similar dilemma.:)

I also realize that Tom has other Esties in other colors and I am really tempted :)

Regards

Jai

• 4 weeks later...

Well, there's my first Esterbrook that I got and there's my first Esterbrook that I could use. Neither is a very recent acquisition.

The first was a blue J double jewel with a 2xxx nib unit, it needed a new sac. I bought the sac at the NYC Pen Show in 2004, I think it was. I bought a Venus broad nib to install on the pen. I kept intending to get the tools necessary for getting the remains of the old sac out of there. I was also wondering if I could use old talcum powder on the outside of that sac. I've never gotten around to replacing the sac though.

The one I use is also blue and appears to be a transitional J with one round jewel and a 9968 nib, exactly what I'd want! From looking at a Web site about Esterbrooks it looks like I've got what's called a 3rd variant in the transitional series, made some time between 1944 and 1948.

This is a great fountain pen. It's the only vintage pen, and the only non-cc filler, in my rotation. I currently have it filled with a 4:1= Visconti Brown : Noodler's Eternal Brown ink mixture.

I have to say that this is a stay at home fountain pen. I wouldn't want to lose it or get it damaged. Also, I like to have a lot of ink in any fountain pen I take out with me and with a lever filler I've never felt secure about how much ink I've got in the pen. I've never had one of those level fillers with an ink window.

I sometimes think about where these fountain pens might have been at different points in my life. The transitional J is around my age and the double jewel J had to have been manufactured no later than when I was in grammar school. I don't know the history of either fountain pen.

I have another double jewel J but it has a cracked cap and I've never tried to use it since I got that transitional J that worked right away.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Welcome to the fold Rob (and dandelion).............

It won't be your only Esterbrook!!

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

I bought an Esterbrook on e-bay some time ago, and it needed some work. I finally got around to sending it off for a "tune up," and it was returned today. I love it. I am told that it is an SJ. I wish I knew exactly what that means. The nib is: 2668. The pen reminds me of the pens most students used back in the 1950 in U. S. schools. It is no wonder that there is a large group of loyal Esterbrook lovers out there.

C. S.

I bought an Esterbrook on e-bay some time ago, and it needed some work. I finally got around to sending it off for a "tune up," and it was returned today. I love it. I am told that it is an SJ. I wish I knew exactly what that means. The nib is: 2668. The pen reminds me of the pens most students used back in the 1950 in U. S. schools. It is no wonder that there is a large group of loyal Esterbrook lovers out there.

C. S.

The SJ is the shorter and narrower version of the J.

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

I am still learning about my "first" Esterbrook. A question: When I fill it, should I let the lever go all the way back until it clicks down almost flat, or should I just let it go "halfway." By halfway I mean when it is standing straight out?

C. S.

I am still learning about my "first" Esterbrook. A question: When I fill it, should I let the lever go all the way back until it clicks down almost flat, or should I just let it go "halfway." By halfway I mean when it is standing straight out?

C. S.

When doing the fill, don't let the lever go past 90 deg vertical to start with. The original Estie j-bars have detents in them that will stop the lever there automatically. If the j-bar is out of allignment or is a replacement (they don't have the detents) you will need to stop the lever at vertical yourself. It's not necessary to close it all the way each stroke if you are doing multiple fill strokes but be sure it is closed and close to the barrel when you are done.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I just got my first 2314F nib. Another winner from Esterbrook! :D Worked right out of the box; only soaked it in a little soapy water.

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

I'm looking for my first Esterbrook at the moment. I really love the look of these pens. Hopefully, they will satiate my seemingly new addiction. :D

Cheers-

withoutink

"Do Nothing Which is of No Use." - Musashi Miyamoto (Ancient Swordsman from the 1600's)

withoutink.com | twitter | facebook

I'm looking for my first Esterbrook at the moment. I really love the look of these pens. Hopefully, they will satiate my seemingly new addiction. :D

I'm afraid not.... it's just the start of a side addiction.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

- Douglas Adams

SnailBadge.jpg      PostcardBadge.jpg      InkExchange.jpg

I'm afraid not.... it's just the start of a side addiction.

'Tis true. I got myself hooked a few months ago, and ever since then I've acquired a bunch of Esties, found ten nibs (literally found them...they were in a box headed for the dumpster), replaced several sacs, taught myself to turn any nib I don't like into a cursive italic, and my Esties are now my go-to pens.

One of these days I'll get around to posting about my first Estie (...er, I think I remember which one it was :rolleyes:), but for now I'm having too much fun!

"Anyone who attempts to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin."--John von Neumann

Well, I probably went overboard today... I just bought my first three Esterbrooks.

#5 "SJ" Copper , Nearly Rootbeer Barrel color.. Fabulous had to find color

nearly 100% snake , simply outstanding # 2668 General writing nib

#7 "J" in Mid Night blue multi toned, Blues and back blue, sort of stormy sky

#2556 Nib

#10 "LJ" in Jet Black very minty indeed # 1550 Nib a bit firm, bookepers nib

I will send a 2556 along with this one, no charge ( 2 nibs)

I hope to get them next week. ;)

Plus I got a 9555 nib for #7

Edited by withoutink

Cheers-

withoutink

"Do Nothing Which is of No Use." - Musashi Miyamoto (Ancient Swordsman from the 1600's)

withoutink.com | twitter | facebook

Just found my first Esterbrook out in the wild as it were. I wish I were a touch more prepared before I headed out, but it was a good find nonetheless.

It is (I believe) a red J double jewel series, but what really caught my attention was the fact that it came in its original cardboard box along with the original paper inserts advertising other Esterbrook products. I would be quite happy to scan it if anyone would be interested.