My first Estie

Rob G

Shameless plug...and I have about...50...coming or waiting to get ready. A few really fun items, too. I'm currently not shipping internationally, but you can talk to me offline, and we can work something out.

MidnightPens

I got my first Estie from Gary almost a year ago. Not only is it a great pen, the transaction was absolutely fantastic, too. The only problem is that now, a year on, I have what so many of you will understand as the inexorable desire for more. I have two more on their way right now; had yesterday not been Easter, I would have spent the day scouring antique shops for more. Lovely pens!

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• gweimer1

• kathleen

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have joined the club. Double Jewel J with a 2668 nib. It is the darker green variant and although you can't see it in the picture the finish is flawless and has a nice clear imprint on the barrel. I got it from forum member AC12, who was most helpful and patient with my questions and went above and beyond to make sure I got a pen and nib that fitted my writing style. I couldn't be happier.

fpn_1459615778__estie_j.jpg

I've just bought my first Estie and really looking forward to receiving it. I deliberately shopped for a 9128 because I'd heard such fine things about this particular nib and I absolutely love vintage flex. I'll do a show and tell when he gets here! :)

I am officially part of the Estie-Club!

This little J beauty arrived in the mail today.

Dark green (very beautiful pattern) model J with a 9556 nib.

http://i65.tinypic.com/309j3bc.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2rqdc41.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/27y9zl.jpg

Edited by Darkbulb

• 4 weeks later...

Although I liked the color version, which I saw on eBay, then it is my first Esti black. I really like the metal decorating and especially long tip that a little scratches, but the feel of writing with him I have a very nice and funny short grip for my little fingers just right. Almost immediately it became one of my favorites.

post-125756-0-14245800-1461877245_thumb.jpgpost-125756-0-63004500-1461877259_thumb.jpgpost-125756-0-72231700-1461877287_thumb.jpgpost-125756-0-22544800-1461877311_thumb.jpgpost-125756-0-51312500-1461877319_thumb.jpg

post-125756-0-03464800-1461877276_thumb.jpg

I got my first Estie at the Chicago Pen Show on Sunday. And my second one about 30 minutes later.

Bringing them both to work to try out as daily writers.

First - a "dollar" pen (not sure on the name for size, is this the thin/small one?), lever fill in green (I don't know the name for this finish). Nib 1550 - from penguy.net (John Foreman)

Very happy with this, but the fine point may take getting used to (comparable to my 0.2 Preppy in line width).

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/CraigS63/misc/9858689E-DD7E-4D28-9FE1-1718318A2F3A_zpspmeeiyjt.jpg

Next up - a C101. Bought it because the color reminded me of an old car (great reason, right?). Nib 2668 - from Tim Pierson.

Nice wide writer, but if I'm at too high or low an angle, I get scraping (it seems to have more abrupt angles on the tip than my other pens).

Slightly discolored, as if some sort of ink was touching it or something. It came with an empty Esterbrook cartridge inside, I'll probably

keep refilling it with my 12 cent plastic squeeze syringes for now.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/CraigS63/misc/BC38FA79-8F43-4D2C-8563-AFDB06D81AAC_zps99uzshi7.jpg

Plastic pipettes - $2.75 for 25:

https://www.sciplus.com/p/PIPET_44907

Although I liked the color version, which I saw on eBay, then it is my first Esti black. I really like the metal decorating and especially long tip that a little scratches, but the feel of writing with him I have a very nice and funny short grip for my little fingers just right. Almost immediately it became one of my favorites.

attachicon.gifDSCN8718.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN8721.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN8726.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN8729.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN8734.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN8724.JPG

I really like the look of the black Esterbrook.... Hmmm..... :)

There really is nothing more classic and simple than a clean, black pen.

Craig, that's a great looking pen. Change the nib if the fine is too fine. That's one of the great things about Esterbrooks.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I think I'm heading in the other direction. I've got four Esties - 2 Dollar pens, a transitional J and a full J in grey, green, blue and red respectively. Plus one of them desk pen holder things. Nibs = 2 x 2668, 9314M, 2048, and a 1551. None of which I like. And to add to the misery I have Osmiroid nibs (B4, B3 - these two are 3-tined, B2, broad straight, medium straight, and fine straight - all are italic, plus a Copperplate nib). All these fit into the Esties, which is why I got them.

Today, with a heavy heart I flushed all four pens and put them away. I have to consider now what to do with them.

Esterbrooks, it seems, are not for me,

Can you put into words why Esterbrooks are not for you? Looks, design, nibs?

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Looks are just okay in my opinion. Size, they tend to be a little small for me. The ability to swap nibs is a neat idea, though I have never had a nib I liked - all mine bar one are not 9 series, perhaps that doesn't help. And sometimes it's just hard to define why something doesn't fell right. I think I've had about 8 in the last 18 months, so I've given them a fair run.

Perhaps I overlook any shortcomings because I remember using them as a kid, and then found two for $15 each. I have the 6 J-series colors and plan to stop there. I also realize that I'm not as selective as many here, but then I've only been at it for a year, this time around.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Craig, that's a great looking pen. Change the nib if the fine is too fine. That's one of the great things about Esterbrooks.

It's working great for crosswords and sudoku! Just seems finicky when I am doing my ham-fisted attempt at regular writing.

If you're not a fan of your Esterbrooks, I know someone who will be happy to relieve you of them. (eyes his shirt pocket...) :D

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested

There really is nothing more classic and simple than a clean, black pen.

I agree, oozes sophistication.

But my new Estie is green because I like green and it is what I won :D

Must state that it is a pleasure to write with

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg70/goldshirt9/pens/_57%202_zpsv9gxp7gl.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg70/goldshirt9/pens/_57%203_zps24mquc2z.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg70/goldshirt9/pens/_57%201_zpsgppyeoie.jpg

Oh I totally agree :)

I have a green one as well and once I switched to a 9550 nib it writes exactly the way I wanted it to.

Really, really like it.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2usfs42.jpg

My first was actually a 444 desk set, which turned out to be missing the feed and had a nib that needed work. After buying a second one to steal the feed off of and a new nib I had it working, now I've got two working sets and a third with no feed. My first Estie FP is a black double jewel J with a 9556 nib that I carry as a daily writer. To the best of my knowledge it seems totally unrestored since it has an Esterbrook stamped sac, which feels almost brand new. I suspect it may have sat unused in someone's drawer for a long time since it shows very little wear. It's my favorite above any other I own.

~Sage