• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• gweimer1

• kathleen

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About a week ago I was shopping for a Wahl Skyline when someone on the forum suggested I start with an Esterbrook J Series. Several lost bids later my first pen is on it's way to my house via First Class Mail.

post-127325-0-59965200-1452556744_thumb.jpg

Congrats

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I'm certain you will enjoy that pen. And that 2668 nib will be a pleasure to use. I also suspect it will not be your only Esterbrook pen.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

About a week ago I was shopping for a Wahl Skyline when someone on the forum suggested I start with an Esterbrook J Series. Several lost bids later my first pen is on it's way to my house via First Class Mail.

attachicon.gifEsterbrook J Series Double Jewel Restored.jpg

This pen has a "clone" in my collection!! :)

My third-to-last addition also has the 2668 nib....and, although I prefer a fine or extra-fine nib, the medium suits me for general, everyday writing tasks....

You'll no doubt see my reply to your other post in another thread....

Esties are simple, yet durable pens....that will literally last a LIFETIME with proper care!!

Enjoy! Methinks this Estie will NOT be your LAST!! ;)

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

Edited by dasXFnib

attachicon.gifEsterbrook J Series Double Jewel Restored.jpg

Wooooo-hoooooo! Welcome to the family, thebbqguy (love your screen name, btw). If your experience is anything like the rest of us, well...this definitely won't be your last Estie purchase. ;)

Hopefully, this doesn't violate any rules (if it does, please feel free to edit or delete this post, moderators--I have no affiliation other than as a happy customer), but...

...there are some really, really reputable Esterbrook sellers on Etsy that will consistently treat you right, providing quality pens and nibs with no monkey business (says the woman who was stung twice by a "highly rated" seller on eBay):

And, of course, Brian Anderson (Esterbrook.net, AndersonPens.com, and FPN member), who's not only a top notch retailer, but considered one of the pre-eminant Esterbrook experts on FPN and throughout the U.S. He's typically got a great selection of Estie nibs that you can swap in and out of the pens with ease.

Also (yes, there's more!), be sure to peruse the Classifieds here on FPN every so often. You never know what gem might turn up.

Ohmygosh...I just joined the ranks of enabler, didn't I...??????? :rolleyes:

Edited by PaperQueen

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

Ohmygosh...I just joined the ranks of enabler, didn't I...??????? :rolleyes:

Yes, yes you did. Now, didn't it feel good?

Andrew

Certified (and certifiable) dip nib enabler

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Yes, yes you did. Now, didn't it feel good?

Andrew

Certified (and certifiable) dip nib enabler

:bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

Oh PaperQueen, we are so proud of you!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

For those who didn't catch it......Brian Anderson is doing 2 seminars at the Philadelphia Pen Show:

The History of Esterbrook

How to Re-sac an Estie

If i were closer, this alone would be worth the price of admission....and THEN some!!:)

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

And there's another historian of the Esterbrook dip pens that is coming out with a book sometime later this year. I've had a couple of email conversations with him. Should be interesting.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

And there's another historian of the Esterbrook dip pens that is coming out with a book sometime later this year. I've had a couple of email conversations with him. Should be interesting.

Keep us posted, Andrew--something tells me a bookshelf around here is going to need a new addition. :D

My Estie arrived yesterday. I am very pleased. It's in better condition that I expected. The eBay seller rated it "very good" and I agree.

Paper Queen,

Thanks for posting the links to those sellers. One in particular is a site I will be buying from in the future. Great pens on that site. I like the "buy now" versus bidding.

Paper Queen,

Thanks for posting the links to those sellers. One in particular is a site I will be buying from in the future. Great pens on that site. I like the "buy now" versus bidding.

Happy to help---if not for the generosity of others on FPN, I wouldn't have known about them myself.

Be sure to check back with each of them often, since the selection ebbs and flows.

Welcome to the slippery slope of Esterbrook love and adoration. :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

Sweeeeeet find, Gary! Congrats!

Uh oh..............

I just bought 2 Esterbrooks!!! Ohh..... so happy! Can't wait for them to arrive!!! I will post pictures when they come in!