My first Estie

Rob G

To all the first-time Esterbrook owners, welcome to Estieville! :)

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• gweimer1

• kathleen

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got my first Estie, (£1.00!) from a car boot sale yesterday. I believe this is a Slender LJ double jewel, but I would like a confirmation. It came with a 2668 nib, very smooth medium to fine nib. It's a nice light pen, but too slim for me. It looks like is in a good condition, just wash out the ink and clean a bit the barrel and cap. It has an original sticker and vertical imprint on the barrel.

Some photos:

22719492941_ebd365b6e4_c.jpg

22520477650_b8782244c7_c.jpg

22694889682_fdbfd4d280_c.jpg

22682524936_e8425dba6f_c.jpg

22708593885_64aca151b0_c.jpg

Oh. My. God.

A new addiction has begun, starting on Fountain Pen Day, no less. :::gulp:::

fpn_1446846684__first_estie.jpg

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

• 3 weeks later...

Nicely done Queenie.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thanks, Bruce. The bug has definitely bitten. Just received my third Esterbrook yesterday.

Here we go, right down the rabbit hole....................

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

Just do NOT approach the Esterbrook dip pen nib rabbit hole. It is deep and dark in there.

Even with all the colors and styles, there are only so many variations on Esterbrook fountain pens, but dip pen nibs.... Around 1900 Esterbrook claimed to make over 250 models of dip pen nibs. And that doesn't count the different finishes (bronze, black, silver...) By the 1920's they were producing over 200 million nibs a year.

I love the fountain pens, but I've become truly sucked into the alternate universe of the dip pens. I only have 26 of those 250 models. The rabbit hole just keeps going.

To tie it back to the fountain pens, check out this thread.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Esterbrook!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Just do NOT approach the Esterbrook dip pen nib rabbit hole. It is deep and dark in there.

Even with all the colors and styles, there are only so many variations on Esterbrook fountain pens, but dip pen nibs.... Around 1900 Esterbrook claimed to make over 250 models of dip pen nibs. And that doesn't count the different finishes (bronze, black, silver...) By the 1920's they were producing over 200 million nibs a year.

I love the fountain pens, but I've become truly sucked into the alternate universe of the dip pens. I only have 26 of those 250 models. The rabbit hole just keeps going.

Doomed. I...am...doomed.

And we are here to walk you through the process. ;)

Or over the cliff.

(She says, smiling.)

Or over the cliff.

(She says, smiling.)

Hello, we are enablers. :)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hello,

Just got my first esterbrook dollar pen, inkd it and used it for awhile, I like it.

Best regards.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello,

Just got my first esterbrook dollar pen, inkd it and used it for awhile, I like it.

Best regards.

Since you have used for a while and like it, it's a sure thing!

I think I went over the cliff on Esterbrook, but I can't say I regret it, because I have learned a lot from them.

I am most satisfied with the italics and extra fines. That's probably a wierd combination of favorites.

Maybe I should cap it all off with a nice Dollar Pen. .

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Or over the cliff.

(She says, smiling.)

But it's so invigorating, the way the wind rushes past!

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested

• 2 weeks later...

Great googly moogly.

I just found my actual first Estie, which I thought I had lost in my previous move!!!

Black SJ with a late 'Medium' nib. Back in hand again. I thought this pen was lost three years ago.

o/` Happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy joy joy! o/`

Edited by trdsf

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine off ebay. It was supposed to be a J, but turns out it's a LJ. Its a bit slim, but the condition of it is above average, since it had a working replaced sac and lever, which had some rust I polished off with varnish cleaner. The nib that came with it was atrocious, a 2550 which is scratches all papers to hell...

The jewels are intacted, the engraving has a scratch on it. It is a nice red... I was tempted to give it away a few times as it sat unused, but I decided to keep this babe. Now I just need a good nib and some polishing tips. Do you guys know how I can polish the surface it a mirror finish? :)

Broke

Great googly moogly.

I just found my actual first Estie, which I thought I had lost in my previous move!!!

Black SJ with a late 'Medium' nib. Back in hand again. I thought this pen was lost three years ago.

o/` Happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy joy joy! o/`

Congratulations!!! I really feel you joy haha.

Broke

I got my first Estie, (£1.00!) from a car boot sale yesterday. I believe this is a Slender LJ double jewel, but I would like a confirmation. It came with a 2668 nib, very smooth medium to fine nib. It's a nice light pen, but too slim for me. It looks like is in a good condition, just wash out the ink and clean a bit the barrel and cap. It has an original sticker and vertical imprint on the barrel.

Some photos:

22719492941_ebd365b6e4_c.jpg

22520477650_b8782244c7_c.jpg

22694889682_fdbfd4d280_c.jpg

22682524936_e8425dba6f_c.jpg

22708593885_64aca151b0_c.jpg

Beautiful pen, nice pictures!

Broke