My first Estie

Rob G

Well, I have a copper / brown 2 jewel Esterbrook on the way. Had a couple along with several other non-working f.p.'s for several years in my general pen collection of non f.p. Parker, Sheaffer, Cross, Mont Blanc, Pelikan ets...Gave all those f.p's to my brother about 3 years ago. But this will be the frist one to get running again.

Once its here I'll try to figure out the restoration & nib and ink issues.

I do have an 'old' bottle of Mont Blanc blue ink.

Do all Esterbrook fountain pens take the same nib & holder ?

Nib prices seem to be all over the place on ebay !

Looking forward to using it.

Edited by zermatt7

Paddle Faster...I Hear Banjos'

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• gweimer1

• kathleen

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I have a copper / brown 2 jewel Esterbrook on the way. Had a couple along with several other non-working f.p.'s for several years in my general pen collection of non f.p. Parker, Sheaffer, Cross, Mont Blanc, Pelikan ets...Gave all those f.p's to my brother about 3 years ago. But this will be the frist one to get running again.

Once its here I'll try to figure out the restoration & nib and ink issues.

I do have an 'old' bottle of Mont Blanc blue ink.

Do all Esterbrook fountain pens take the same nib & holder ?

Nib prices seem to be all over the place on ebay !

Looking forward to using it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=360358995638&si=l7AJ%252FBLynzyYRGe1upw66aWPZco%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Its here !

Came apart like it was new, 1551 nib (which is soaking in h2o with a little amonia) what looks to be a new sac and the lever works great wit no rust.

The clip does stick out a little too far from the cap, mabe a couple of centimeters instead of sittting snugly agains the cap.

I hand polished it with Flitz and Maas & its a beautiful copper color.

Might replace the sac just to learn how to do it....looks like it wants to have some orange ink to go with it.

I can see how it would be tempting to get several Esterbrooks and match the ink to the color of the pen...Esp. orange green red grey and blue !

Edited by zermatt7

Paddle Faster...I Hear Banjos'

This is my very first time posting to the Esterbrook forum. I am tickled pink to announce my husband presented me this afternoon with an early birthday present - my very first vintage fountain pen, a lovely little copper Estie! :cloud9:

The nib is a 2886, and writes like a dream on the Red n Black paper I used to test it. The barest touch glides this pen over the paper. I inked it with Waterman Florida blue, and I am happy as could be playing with my new toy.

Then pen is in wonderful shape. It is used, but no brassing, no cracks, no scratches. A slightly damaged finish on the underside of the nib and a less-than-pristine shine on the body are the only things "wrong." (Heck, that just shows this pen has lived. I'm good with that.)

I know next to nothing about vintage pens, so I will be haunting this forum quite a bit so I can soak in the knowledge so freely shared by our more experienced members. Who knows? I may end up with a handful of these little beauties before too long!

The picture is not the best (really, really crappy lighting in my house), but here it is:

Have I mentioned how very, very excited I am? :) I love this pen!

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." - Dorothy Parker (attributed)

I love these vintage Esties. It was the colors on the J-series, Transitionals, and Dollar pens that first caught my eye but that was just the beginning. :vbg: I got my first one only about two months ago and now have nine, with two more coming (and that doesn't count a few desk set Esterbrooks). One of those coming will be sent to a friend in Wales and I'm hoping to find one more for a friend in Wisconsin. They do indeed write like a dream and I have not only purchased restored pens but have managed to do very basic restorations on four others, thanks to the great tutorials and help here. Being able to switch out the nibs on these so easily makes each pen incredibly versatile. I have other pens, both inexpensive and pricey but always seem to come back to the Esties.

freddy77

I love these vintage Esties. It was the colors on the J-series, Transitionals, and Dollar pens that first caught my eye but that was just the beginning. :vbg: I got my first one only about two months ago and now have nine, with two more coming (and that doesn't count a few desk set Esterbrooks). One of those coming will be sent to a friend in Wales and I'm hoping to find one more for a friend in Wisconsin. They do indeed write like a dream and I have not only purchased restored pens but have managed to do very basic restorations on four others, thanks to the great tutorials and help here. Being able to switch out the nibs on these so easily makes each pen incredibly versatile. I have other pens, both inexpensive and pricey but always seem to come back to the Esties.

Esties, are addictive! You are only two months into trying an Estie and now you have nine and are looking for more! Congratulations! You've found the satisfying experience of accomplishing the basic restorations. You sound exactly like me a year ago. You are right about the tutorials here. Bruce (OcalaFLguy) and Todd (Farmboy) and Stephen (Rabbit), and others, helped me believe I could operate on an Estie; now I'm kept busy with my own Estie clinic. I have given Esties to family and friends. My son became a fountain pen user, he loves the Esties.

I stopped counting how many Esties I have; if I knew exactly how many I have, I fear I would have to tell myself, "That is way too many!" and then I could no longer enjoy the glorious quest; I want to see all the beautiful, wonderful pens of Esterbrook restored to their purpose. I am so pleased that you have joined me in my efforts.

Some of my Esties, I have more, and I keep looking for more.....I can't stop!

fpn_1304223411__dscn1171.jpg

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Esties, are addictive! You are only two months into trying an Estie and now you have nine and are looking for more! Congratulations! You've found the satisfying experience of accomplishing the basic restorations. You sound exactly like me a year ago. You are right about the tutorials here. Bruce (OcalaFLguy) and Todd (Farmboy) and Stephen (Rabbit), and others, helped me believe I could operate on an Estie; now I'm kept busy with my own Estie clinic. I have given Esties to family and friends. My son became a fountain pen user, he loves the Esties.

I stopped counting how many Esties I have; if I knew exactly how many I have, I fear I would have to tell myself, "That is way too many!" and then I could no longer enjoy the glorious quest; I want to see all the beautiful, wonderful pens of Esterbrook restored to their purpose. I am so pleased that you have joined me in my efforts.

Some of my Esties, I have more, and I keep looking for more.....I can't stop!

fpn_1304223411__dscn1171.jpg

Kathleen! That's an incredible collection of Esterbrooks you've got going there!!! Simply gorgeous! Do I see a v-clip in the upper-left side of the box?!? Right next to one of those lovely greenish speckled visumasters?!?

Keep up the good work as always!

Regards from a fellow Estie restorer,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Yes, you do see a V clip. I acquired it about 9 months ago on e bay. It was not photographed well, sort of on its side, I could just barely discern the clip. I won it over just a couple of other bidders, in the final moments of the auction. My green Visumaster and this mottled Dollar, also won on ebay sometime over the last year, are my most expensive Esterbrook purchases to date. The mottled Dollar was a gift to my son this past Christmas. I have more pens than I have pictured. I have a nice group of SJs and LJs and a couple of pen/pencil sets. I have been lucky to find a few in secondhand thrift shops. I have found a couple of Js and a silver gray icicle each for just $10 and having 9xxx series nibs. I love the hunt! When I don't find vintage pens, I find other wonderful vintage items, jewelry, embroidered tea linens, books, candlesticks, bowls, etc. I truly appreciate many of the items made 60+ years ago.

fpn_1304275774__picture_2.jpg

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

I just won my first Estie! I've got a green J double jewel on the way. I'm dubbing it my "Franken pen". I look forward to learning how to do various types of pen restoring activities on my new test subject. :)

My first post on the Estie forum, to announce that I've just won my first Estie (and first proper fountain pen) on Ebay! It is a Double Jewelled, 1555 Gregg nibbed J Series in Cherry Red - it looks exactly like the pictures posted in #218 by 777 earlier.

I got it for £19 including delivery, which I think is a good deal as it has been restored with a new sac fitted.

I also bought a TWSBI Diamond 530 last week, but I think the Estie will be arriving first. Wonder which will become my go-to pen?

I will probably want to get a more flexi nib, as I understand that the 1555 isn't particularly flexible?

• 4 weeks later...

I got my first one yesterday. It's a 444 desk pen set. The pen is a lever fill, but it's got a black plastic body with red taper.

Has anyone ever heard of this combination for the desk pen? The nib is an IB Osmiroid which I love. The ink well/stand is the hockey puck variety with black top and clear base.

• 2 weeks later...

They have arrived!!!

When I decided to buy an Esterbrook, the decision became double. Two SJ's... A mint RED (on box and instructions folder included. nib #2668) with an inscription (Muskegon Business School - anyone knows?!?) and a near mint BLACK, nib #9668.

The red one lies on the box and I'm thinking about when I'll start...

The black one is now filled (the ink sac is in working condition) and the pen is working today ;-)

The first question: The cap thread of the black pen, is somewhat more "tight" to turn as the red one. Is it a normal behaviour of the different polymer?!?

Tks in advance...

Look at my horse, my horse is amazing!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My first Estie is a copper j with a 9968 nib , my second is a pearl blue also a 9968 nib and the third is i think a later pen turquoise with a 2668 nib.

I fell in love with my first pen so i dont know what to expect when the other two finally arrive .

Post box hell i call it , i wait and wait and hopefully they will show.

A Conklin 1929 pen set arrived and diverted me for a while but still i wait and wait

I just got my first Esterbrook (and vintage pen) last week. It is a Blue LJ with a 2668 nib. I simply adore it even though I haven't done anything but clean up the inside as yet. The seller stated it held water (huh, really?), but it looks more like they pumped it full of bright blue ink which is now dried in the nib and body. I'm slowly cleaning her out and have a few sacs, shellac, etc on order from the Andersons. Once she's set up, I plan to do a polish to get out the teensy scratches, even though she truly looks brand new.

blue-lj1.jpg

The Estie bug has bitten me hard! I've had only new pens up until this point- a Levenger, a group of Dollar Demos, a Sheaffer; but these little Esties are addicting. So what do I do? Feed the addiction.

Now winging their way towards me from parts far n' wide are: a Copper "Icicle", a Red "Icicle" (which I found by happy accident on a craft website), and a red approx 1940 Dollar pen with a 3550 (yippee!) nib. I've also got a few extra nibs on their way too! :clap1:

The Red Icicle:

red-icicle-etsy.jpg

One question - how do I tell which size/model the Dollar pen is? Currently I don't have the measurements on it, and I've checked Richard's site and Esterbrook.net. I know there is the B, the A and the H. Help, please?

Here's the Red Dollar... really bad photo. I'll take more once it arrives by mail.

red-dollar.png

“Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.” ~Goethe

Just received my first Estie today. I purchased here on the classifieds. It's in excellent condition. Beautiful Red Dubonnet . I inked it up and played with it a bit. It has the 9550 nib which I believe is an extra fine. My other pen has a medium nib which I like better. So I guess I need to get a few nibs and try them out.

Edited by Tennessee Dave

Dave

Thankful for being blessed with a genteel life and wonderful wife

Received my first Estie yesterday!!! A black "double Jewel" LJ with a 2550 nib. It also come with two additional nibs a FINE and a MEDIUM. I must replace the sac then I can start the AD. This is my first vintage pen and this looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship!!!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

just won my first estie on ebay! it's a restored copper sj, with a 1555 gregg nib. i'm already excited, i can't wait to get it. now i'll have to hunt down a 2314m nib for it.

Edited by ticoun

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

They have arrived!!!

When I decided to buy an Esterbrook, the decision became double. Two SJ's... A mint RED (on box and instructions folder included. nib #2668) with an inscription (Muskegon Business School - anyone knows?!?) and a near mint BLACK, nib #9668.

The red one lies on the box and I'm thinking about when I'll start...

The black one is now filled (the ink sac is in working condition) and the pen is working today ;-)

The first question: The cap thread of the black pen, is somewhat more "tight" to turn as the red one. Is it a normal behaviour of the different polymer?!?

Tks in advance...

If it is the same as Muskegon Business College then check here. It's now called Baker College.

now i'll have to hunt down a 2314m nib for it.

I don't know if that is "find one cheap" or just "find one", because you can get them at Brian Anderson's site for $25.00. I've only recently gotten a couple of Esties, and just last night finished cleaning up a black J with a 2314M nib on it, and already it is one of the most comfortable writing experiences I have. A very nice writer, with just a touch of personality.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

now i'll have to hunt down a 2314m nib for it.

I don't know if that is "find one cheap" or just "find one", because you can get them at Brian Anderson's site for $25.00. I've only recently gotten a couple of Esties, and just last night finished cleaning up a black J with a 2314M nib on it, and already it is one of the most comfortable writing experiences I have. A very nice writer, with just a touch of personality.

i'm talking about finding one cheaper than 25$. but i might end up just buying it from brian anderson.

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-