My first Estie

Rob G

I'm not really a collector of anything, but have always loved fountain pens, and liked using and making dipped pens as well. I recently got bitten by the acquisition bug, and my very small accumulation of pens started growing at an alarming rate. There was (and there still is) no system to it (unless "cheap" is a system), and all of my pens set me back less than $20 apiece, most of them much less than that, and they're evenly divided between cheap-but-good new pens, and old pens that need work - I like to fix them up.

The only exception to this lack of "system" came in the mail about a week ago: A Bell System Esterbrook. Of all the pens that have been made, this is the only one that I decided I absolutely had to have. I started at Bell Labs probably just a few years after these pens stopped being available in the stockroom, but the idea of using one of these pieces of history really appealed to me. I got the pen pretty cheap on the 'Bay, and it needed some work - a new sac and nib. Luckily, I have a small drawer full of Esterbrook nibs that I've accumulated over the years - I used to use them for dip pens that I made. I tried a few different nibs to see what I liked the best for what I want to do with this pen, and settled on a 2556 NOS nib that I had lying around. I'd call it a medium/fine (I don't know what they called it), and I use it with Parker black Quink. It writes beautifully - smooth, bold, just wet enough without being too wet... and feels really great in my hand.

I LOVE this pen! I'm sorry to say I don't have any of the pre-divestiture cloth-bound Bell Telephone Laboratories notebooks to use it with, but it's really a kick to use it to take notes in my dwindling stock of AT&T and Lucent Technologies notebooks, which were the same design, paper type, etc. It makes sense that the people who used to build phones to last 100 years would have pens to match...

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• gweimer1

• kathleen

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only thing more durable than an old Bell System telephone is a Cockroach.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

The only thing more durable than an old Bell System telephone is a Cockroach.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

You mean Palmetto bug don't you? When we lived in Tampa we used to call them the Florida State bird! :ltcapd:

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Greetings,

The first fountain pen I used was my grandfather's Estie SJ with a 9660 nib. I loved the feel and the control. After his death, I claimed this pen for myself.

It is now visiting Richard Binder.

Brad

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

I don't have my first Estie yet. It is being shipped to me. I bought my second last night. So, ummmm, yeah. :P

The first is a bell systems SJ and I can't wait for it to get here. Got it for $12.50 on eBay. Purchased a green J last night for $36. It is amazing how many I lost in bidding over this weekend. It is like no other bidding I have done on eBay and I have over 200 won auctions under my belt. Sniping is also something I do on a regular basis but thats almost not possible with these Esties. I should have them by the end of the week.

Hum!!

My first was a Jet Black J. I found this on a garage floor at an auction. This was a little dirty but cleaned up great. New nib and sac.

Looks great. Still use it on a daily basis.

Edited by Esterman

After finding some Esterbrooks on ebay I became quite interested in these pens. Everyone seems to quite fond of them. So I started looking for some ... i was going to buy some off ebay but instead I found 2 at an antique mall. The store is holding them for me until I pick them up on Monday. So I'm becoming a member of the family. I will pickup a green J w/ a 2668 nib & a blue J w/ a 9550 nib. I lifted the levers on both pens and they sprung back well but I would like some pointers on polishing them. I use a jewlers rouge on a 3600 RPM buffing wheel to polish briar pipes. Will this work for the Esties or will they melt? I also need to polish the nibs any pointer there would be helpful. I have read the thread about replacing the sac and that seems easy enough if neccessary. So I'm open to any suggestions you guys & gals may have for a proud new pappa.

I just got my first one a week ago; a green SJ with a 2668 nib. And I'm already looking for more. (I have a copper SJ with a 9968 nib on its way to me now.) I won't say Esties are the only pens to have this effect on me :roflmho: but they really are quite addictive, aren't they? I fear before I get as many as I'd like, others will notice how little respect these pens get compared to what they deserve, and they'll be priced right out of my range.

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Gold & Brown Onoto Magna (1937-40)

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

Esterbrook Blue-Copper Marbled Relief 2-L

the Wandering Author

This Esterbrook will always be inked.

Bruce, thanks for the touch up.

Manny

Edited by GClef

Man it sure is nice to see someone really make a flex nib sing.

:thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, FL -and yes, the person doing that would not be me

I just bought my first two Esties at a collector's show this past weekend - both 1950s, one with the original box and papers in great condition. Both pens are in great condition - a wine red J with a 2668 nib and a copper J with a 2556 nib. I got both for $50. I'm definitely hooked! They lay down lovely wet lines and write like butter!

This Esterbrook will always be inked.

Bruce, thanks for the touch up.

Manny

Man it sure is nice to see someone really make a flex nib sing.

:thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, FL -and yes, the person doing that would not be me

Absolutely beautiful writing, Manny! I have an Estie with a 9048 and I have been practicing with it; I still can't achieve line variation like that.

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

I bought my first Esterbrook about a month ago. I was in the local antique store and asked if they ever received any fountain pens. The owner pulled out a cup of about six pens, three of them fountain pens. I had recently started to collect combos and they had an oxblood Wearever in the cup. It was the same exact pen I had just purchased on ebay for $15....except that they wanted $175.

At that point I was going to give up on buying anything from them but picked up an unassuming red pen with a silver cap and 'Esterbrook' on the clip. The owner, seeming a little chagrined from our conversation about the combo, decided that fifty dollars may be a bit high and I walked out of the store with it for five. Looking it up on the Esterbrook site I established that it is a CX-100 school pen and then put it in the pen drawer.

Yesterday I pulled the pen out of the drawer, cleaned it and inked it up... and found that I love writing with this pen! What a nice, smooth medium nib it has!

Yesterday I also picked up my second Esterbrook from the Post Office, a copper double jeweled J with a #2668 nib. It needs cleaning, a new sac and I'm looking for a flex nib.

Fred

Sketchy,

I love the experience of writing with my vintage Esterbrook pens. My everyday user is any one of my J series double jeweled "Esties'. I like writing with a pen that is older than I am. My favorite nibs are the 9xxx series, 9668, and 9556. I have a much desired 9048 nib, which is flexible, but I have yet to achieve the line variation I desire, I am practicing using it. It is so easy to change nibs and make an Esterbrook pen "the right pen for the way you write".

I am happy to welcome you to Estieland, the nicest, most helpful FPN members are here. Since you have already purchased two Esterbrooks in a relatively short span of time it may be too late to warn you, Esties are the crack cocaine of fountain pens, you will soon be craving more.

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Thank you Kathleen, I'm happy to be here.

I know what you mean about writing with a pen that is older than you are. A year ago I could see no reason for a vintage pen, then I bought a Sheaffer snorkle....now I have been assimilated.

After reading through some of the posts here I have been looking on ebay for a 9048 nib. They're out there but, whew, a little expensive.

Fred

Here is my Estie with the #9048 nib. I paid more for this nib than I did for the pen. I am practicing, getting the feel of it, trying to achieve line width variation so that I may one day produce a both eloquent and elegant page of writing.

fpn_1300254780__fpn_1300254160__fpn_1300254098__fpn_1300253810__fpn_1300253657__fpn_1300253613__dscn1260.jpg

Edited by kathleen

I have a 9128 "fine flexible" and I find that flex in an Estie is relative, they certainly not a "wet noodle" by any stretch, but I sure would like to find a 9048, especially after seeing the above writing samples!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

My first Estie - So finally after repairing Esterbrooks for six months (or more) I've decided to keep and use one for myself. I wonder what took me so long... I loved restoring them but I just hadn't found the right one to keep... Until now!

Here she is - A beautiful Cherry Red Esterbrook with an incredible 2284 Signature stub nib! I love this pen even more than my P 51 mainly because the nib is such a pleasure to use. This pen is just a dream to own... cloud9.gif

DSC08522.JPG

DSC08523.JPG

DSC08525.JPG

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Last Saturday I made the hour long drive down out of the hills to attend the Pan Pacific Pen Club meeting and get my pen fill. The rain was pounding on the fabric roof of my little mini and the wipers struggled to keep my windscreen clean but the drive was actually quite pleasant as I imagined the pens I would see and, more importantly, the people I would meet. Through the rain in the parking lot at the Jelly Belly Factory I ran, arriving into a swarming mass of children quite damp. After making my way to the second floor room I was quite happy when the children there for the candy gave way to adults meeting there for pen candy.

I had a couple of dollars to spend but no plans for more pens. So I drooled over Winedoc's beautiful works of Japanese art and a Parker Combo so rarely seen. Then I ran across a pair of black Esties, a lovely little SJ and a Bell Systems LJ. This week in the mail is expected a J won on ebay, completing a nice little set of black Esterbrooks with which to play.

Fred

• 3 weeks later...

My first Estie is looking like it's going to be delivered today, and is also my first non-disposable fountain pen! It's a grey, J Double-Jewel, supposedly (and hopefully actually) recently restored.

Now, if only I knew when my first ink was getting here ... :lol:

BLM

P.S. 1555 nib, which I know is not real exciting, but it's exciting for me. :)

Edited by maynes32