My first Estie

Rob G

I just got my first Estie: a red SJ on Ebay for $8.00! I teach English, so after I repair it, I'm going to find a good red ink and use my Red Estie to grade essays with! I'm looking forward to taking it apart this weekend, then I'll send away for whatever I need to repair it.

Anybody recommend a good red ink? Considering what I'll be using it for, a dark, blood-colored red might be most appropriate . . . MWAH HA HA!!

I love the Diamine Syrah. Deep, dark, wet and smooth. Perfect for me for a red. Check it out.

Take care,

Tim Verpoorten (Surfbits)

http://www.surfbits.com : Blog

http://www.macreviewcast.com : Podcast

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• gweimer1

• kathleen

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just paid for a Double J copper with a NOS 2668 nib from user 777. My first fountain pen, and first Esterbrook of course, should be here in 3-4 days.

:)

this year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practice ourselves the kind of behavior we expect from other people.

~ C.S. Lewis

My first Estie was a black hard rubber dollar pen that got handed to me as a project when I first started fixing. It had a 2550 Firm extra fine nib on it. I still use it.

My first (two) esterbrook pens: I just bought two esties from an antique store for 15 usd each. One (a red lj with a 2668 nib) was in great condition and appeared to have had no ink in it prior to abandon. The other, a blue J with a 9550 nib had dried blue-black ink in it and after a good cleaning, it looks good as new. Surprisingly, both sacs were still pliable and passed the water test. I plan to ink and use them when I get some new inks to use in them. Will post pics when I get a chance. :)

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

My first (two) esterbrook pens: I just bought two esties from an antique store for 15 usd each. One (a red lj with a 2668 nib) was in great condition and appeared to have had no ink in it prior to abandon. The other, a blue J with a 9550 nib had dried blue-black ink in it and after a good cleaning, it looks good as new. Surprisingly, both sacs were still pliable and passed the water test. I plan to ink and use them when I get some new inks to use in them. Will post pics when I get a chance. :)

Hello ThirdYe,

I just received my first Estie, a fern green J with a #2668 nib- it's a beautiful writer, it gives me even, skip-free performance even when I'm laying in bed! My prediction is once you've used your new Esterbrooks, you'll be hooked... I'm even having second thoughts about saving up for the NOS or near mint Parker 51 that I had been planning on. I'm putting that project on the back burner until I have picked up two or three more J's.

Enjoy,

Sean :)

aka The Cowardly Lion of Estieland ;)

Edited by S. P. Colfer

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

While I was temporarily worried all the new converts would buy my Esties up, but I have come through my greed ridden stage. I am happy to see so many others enjoying the discovery of Esterbrook.

If you have sense and savvy, you will be hooked after your first bite!

Jeffery,

AKA:

Nikko, The Monkey King of Estie land! :thumbup:

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

Hello ThirdYe,

Here are sites and sources you might of interest:

Unfortunately, Richard's site doesn't give exact addresses in the address box, so I can't give you a direct link. Go to his site; click on Reference Pages in the left hand column; scroll down to Pen Model Profiles, click it; then scroll down to the two Esterbrook pages. Richard gives fairly solid histories of the pens and examples of ALL the known color variations.

Richard's Site

Another site that is pretty good is Esterbrook.net:

Esterbrook.net

Once you get more into Esties, you'll probably want the official Estie book, (I haven't got it yet myself, but it's been recommended by "old salts").

Esterbrook Book by Original Author

Best of luck,

TCL of Estie-Land

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Hello ThirdYe,

Here are sites and sources you might of interest:

Unfortunately, Richard's site doesn't give exact addresses in the address box, so I can't give you a direct link. Go to his site; click on Reference Pages in the left hand column; scroll down to Pen Model Profiles, click it; then scroll down to the two Esterbrook pages. Richard gives fairly solid histories of the pens and examples of ALL the known color variations.

Richard's Site

Another site that is pretty good is Esterbrook.net:

Esterbrook.net

Once you get more into Esties, you'll probably want the official Estie book, (I haven't got it yet myself, but it's been recommended by "old salts").

Esterbrook Book by Original Author

Best of luck,

TCL of Estie-Land

Great links for new initiates! :thumbup:

Gobblecup ~

My first is an Black Esterbrook J, with an Osmiroid Rolatip Fine Hard nib. I purchased it on this forum and am very excited to see how it writes. I also have two copper J Esterbrooks on the way from ebay. One a double jewel and the other a transitional, both with 9556 nibs. I got great deals on all three pens and they should arrive sometime this week. Thanks for all the helpful information leading me down this obviously slippery slope!

"There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice." -John Calvin

Here are the pics of my first Esties, as promised:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/6827/20101216001147.jpg

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/8324/20101216001134.jpg

Enjoy!

Sean, thanks for the links.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

My first Estie!!

J-Pastel, baby blue, 1550 nib, fully restored and pristine all in all!! It writes like a (stiffy) dream! But it's a little too tiny for my hand, so I might consider selling it later for a good offer, though I'm just as happy to keep it. For now, it sits happily and safely in a collector's box.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5046/5232613355_db02b6be3c_d.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5166/5233204628_a809b0cc9f_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5165/5232613445_6ff976a03d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

correction: it's a 1555 nib. :rolleyes: I almost succeeded in inviting a new Estie nib. :ltcapd:

-T

Actually, there is a 1550 in addition to 1551, 1554, and your 1555. The other two 1 series nibs are 1314 and 1461. For a full list of nibs, check out the nib section of esterbrook.net

--Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

I got my first Estie today, in the mail. Its a green J my grandmother had given me many years ago, before she passed away. The J has never been usable, so soon after I joined FPN earlier this month I met 777 online, and subsequently sent him the J for restoration work, along with a black J and a handful of nibs I had also been given.

So, I got a small box in today's mail, opened it up and found this wonderful little green pen, looking like it had just been purchased. Really, I would have a hard time believing this pen looked better on the day my grandmother bought it more than 60 years ago! 777 had cleaned up and screwed in one of the nibs, a 2668, and I inked the pen with some Diamine Asa Blue he sent me to try. He had warned me this nib was one of the smoothest 2668s he had encountered, but still I was not prepared. WOW, what a smooth writing fountain pen. I cannot believe it. This nib is one of the smoothest things I have ever written, not buttery like my Visconti, or glassy like a Sailor, just smoooooooth! Oh, and that Asa Blue is a wonderful color!

Anyway, I just wanted to share what a great job 777 did on the restoration. I can't wait for the black J he is still working on, then I can try out one of the other restored nibs he sent back (a 2314-M Relief will be first). He has been wonderful to deal with, informative, patient, etc. I've had a hard time working today because I just want to write with that pen. Its my first Estie, even though I've had it for years, but I'm pretty sure it won't be the last.

Thanks 777, I am grateful for your craftsmanship. You have brought back to life a piece of my family history.

DAVID

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

I got my first Estie today, in the mail. Its a green J my grandmother had given me many years ago, before she passed away. The J has never been usable, so soon after I joined FPN earlier this month I met 777 online, and subsequently sent him the J for restoration work, along with a black J and a handful of nibs I had also been given.

So, I got a small box in today's mail, opened it up and found this wonderful little green pen, looking like it had just been purchased. Really, I would have a hard time believing this pen looked better on the day my grandmother bought it more than 60 years ago! 777 had cleaned up and screwed in one of the nibs, a 2668, and I inked the pen with some Diamine Asa Blue he sent me to try. He had warned me this nib was one of the smoothest 2668s he had encountered, but still I was not prepared. WOW, what a smooth writing fountain pen. I cannot believe it. This nib is one of the smoothest things I have ever written, not buttery like my Visconti, or glassy like a Sailor, just smoooooooth! Oh, and that Asa Blue is a wonderful color!

Anyway, I just wanted to share what a great job 777 did on the restoration. I can't wait for the black J he is still working on, then I can try out one of the other restored nibs he sent back (a 2314-M Relief will be first). He has been wonderful to deal with, informative, patient, etc. I've had a hard time working today because I just want to write with that pen. Its my first Estie, even though I've had it for years, but I'm pretty sure it won't be the last.

Thanks 777, I am grateful for your craftsmanship. You have brought back to life a piece of my family history.

DAVID

Your most welcome! And thanks for the comments! :)

I greatly enjoyed working on your Esterbrooks! Glad to hear your pleased with em'!

Esterbrooks are a fun and fast downhill slope. These won't be your newest for long!

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

• 2 weeks later...

My first Estie a nice Blue J on its way to me, can't wait

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/BlueEstie9668.jpg

With a nice 9668 nib....

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/BlueEstie9668Nibpic.jpg

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

WOBentley,

You are going to love it! Especially if you like a medium line, not too fine.The #9668 nib is my choice as the "right pen (nib) for the way I write". The blues are so pretty. The Esterbrook J series pen with its stainless steel appointments is classic in its good looks, there is no brazing of plated over parts. These pens look as wonderful at 50+ years of age as they did when they left the factory if you care to polish them up or you may appreciate that they show a little age with some luster diminished. It looks to me as if you have purchased a beauty! ENJOY

Now the question, what will your next one look like? No one can have just one Estie.

Edited by kathleen

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Kathleen,

Thanks for the comments...and you are right (and I am weak)....#2 below, one of these will house a 9312 if I can find one!:

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/RedEstie9556nib.jpg

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/RedEstie9556nibpic.jpg

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg