My first Estie

Rob G

It's a red LJ, I think, found on eBay for $15.95. (If I'm wrong, please advise.)

I had to flush a bunch of ink out of it, but it works fine. It's got a 2550 point, which reminds me of the Gillot Registry nib which I like so much whenever I feel like dipping. It is drier than I would like, but one cannot have everything.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=370189017783

First, my mom gives me her '30s Vac. Then I find a Sheaffer Triumph among my late father's effects. Now an Esterbrook in excellent condition for a song.

I could get used to this.

Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• gweimer1

• kathleen

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations! Nice pen at a good price. One of the great things about Esties is that it's so easy to replace the nibs. And the nibs are excellent, especially the 9000 Series Renew nibs.

Regards,

Ray

At 4 5/16" long you have an SJ, the shorter thinner model of the J series. The LJ is the same diameter but about 1/2"

longer, the J is about the same length as the LJ but a little thickererer.

It might not hurt the flow to pull the nib and soak it good in either some clear, warm water and/or a 1:10 Ammonia/water

solution and them blow it out good.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I've got my first Estie today, too. It is also in a deep raspberry red colour, but it is the standard J model. I've inked it up with some El Lawrence and it seems that this 2556 nib is both rather wet and smooth. Instant affection. A beautiful, shining little pen.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Rob, I'm glad you like your new Esterbrook. I recently got one with a 9550 nib, and find it writes very smoothly. You might consider upgrading the nib.

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

Congrats. I got my first Estie a couple weeks ago. That one has quickly mushroomed into five. Not all of them are working at the moment, but that's not a big deal. One's in the shop and another is sitting in pieces awaiting a reply from Sylvia at Tryphon so I can get my repair parts.

Couldn't this thread be pinned and be a permanent thread where beginners can rave over their new Esties and the oldies share their memories of their first ones?

Edited by dandelion

Thanks for the help.

Admittedly, I was impatient to try it out at work yesterday, so I inked it with my favorite Electric Blue even though there was still a bit of black ink leaching out of the feed's "back door". When I got home last night I spritzed the nib with Windex and left it in a cup of water overnight. The old ink seems to be finally gone. I'm just waiting for it to dry.

Some different nibs are definitely on the radar screen. Something flexible, and something "stubbish".

Rob G

Couldn't this thread be pinned and be a permanent thread where beginners can rave over their new Esties and the oldies share their memories of their first ones?

Am I an oldie?

I think what we should pin is the Standard Estie Warning...

Rob, welcome aboard. As many here will tell you, you will soon have more than one.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Oldie, smoldie...

You're one of our most respected C-worders!

(Todd, that HAS TO BE one of THE BEST avatars in ALL of FPN, I chuckle every time I see it.)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Well, I cleaned it squeaky-clean and re-inked it with the Electric Blue - a pretty wet ink - and it's still very dry. It puts down a line which is several shades lighter than any other pen that I own (including EFs) with the same ink.

The tines are really tight. I'm afraid to try to spread them, because the metal is so stiff. Maybe when I get another nib or two, I'll try it. Has anyone done this?

Rob, welcome aboard. As many here will tell you, you will soon have more than one.

I'm afraid that you may be right...

Rob G

Rob-

Try running something like a sheet of mylar between the tines like floss. You may also need to push some water through the nib clear out some gunk.

Most of us knew the feeling (I call it the spiral) - First I'll get a couple of extra renew points. Then I'll pick up a few extra pens so I can have more than one style up and going. Then you are just two colors away from a set but one is a transitional the others are Js. Pretty soon you like the different sizes and you need to know just how that next nib on the list writes and so what if it comes with a pen, there is no reason you can't have another. Then it hits you, why not get a desk set, then one for work then you are on the boarder between C and A. (Collector and Accumulator). Humm this reminds me there are CA101s we could search for too.

Some of us fanatically deny being C-worders. Both Bruce and I are A-worders although it is debatable what A actually stands for. Some claim addict is closer to the truth. I have been called a Pusher which gives us a whole different dimension to the Estie problem.

Bruce-

Thanks, but I'm required to report he figured out the cap thing a few days ago so this will get fun soon! The picture was on or about the 6 month mark. He really likes playing with pens so I'm doomed. (Or is Mom doomed?)

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

The nib is as clean as it can be. I tried a stainless-steel feeler gauge but it wasn't rigid enough.

Finally I dug up an X-Acto knife with a new blade and eased the point of it between the tines, and twisted a couple of degrees in each direction. It helped a lot. Now I can even write (with a very light touch) with the tip inverted, which I could not do before.

I figure to get a 9128, a 9450, and a medium stub for now. Then I'll want blue and green bodies to go with the red...

Rob G

AAHHH, another Brethren of the Faith.

Welcome!!

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

Most of us knew the feeling (I call it the spiral) - First I'll get a couple of extra renew points. Then I'll pick up a few extra pens so I can have more than one style up and going. Then you are just two colors away from a set but one is a transitional the others are Js. Pretty soon you like the different sizes and you need to know just how that next nib on the list writes and so what if it comes with a pen, there is no reason you can't have another. Then it hits you, why not get a desk set, then one for work then you are on the boarder between C and A. (Collector and Accumulator). Humm this reminds me there are CA101s we could search for too.

Todd

I laughed until I looked over and saw the stack of nibs I have to try yet, and remembered I'm using a 444 Inkwell at work, have one on display by my desk, and ordered two 114 desk sets from System of Adam and am waiting for them in the mail. :headsmack:

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

- Douglas Adams

SnailBadge.jpg      PostcardBadge.jpg      InkExchange.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had a suggestion to pin a thread regarding your first Esterbrook. Let's hear your tales of your first Esterbrook and give a warm welcome to all the new members of the Esterbrook Fan Club! New collectors, please post here!

Cheers-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

I'll be daring and put my toe in the water. My first Esterbrook is a desk set, a 407 dip-less and I quite enjoy it. Skrip blue-black, and use it every day. The dip-less is a lovely way to write.

My first Esterbrook fountain pen, is two. Both SJ. I have three fine nibs: 9550, 9555, and 9556. They all write beautifully. Skrip blue and blue-black. One of the SJ's somehow flips ink onto my clothes, and I haven't figured out exactly when or how it happens. I find ink spots on my clothes and sometimes on the floor. I don't wave the pen around, so, who knows? Have never had a pen do this before.

Hmmm, come to think of it, my first Esterbrooks were dip nibs. I like all my Esterbrooks.

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

I recieved my first Estie about a month ago after longing for trying one. This Estie is a shimmery red J pen. I was very surprised by the high quality of it. Considered that it was initially made to serve the masses, the quality and finish are extraordinary; even 50-something years later. I think it looks like a little gem - shimmering red - and is a comfortable writer. The issue on this Estie was the nib. Nothing serious - it just turned out that the 2556 was too broad for my taste. I already liked my little red gem, so I didn't want to part with the pen - only the nib. This being an Estie the nib issue could - of course - be resolved in the simplest of ways - buy and try a new nib. So I did. I found a real good notetaking nib in the 9550 and now I'm so glad to have my happy little red Estie with a very extra fine nib. I also like that she (yes - I don't usually have names or genders on my pens, but this is a she) is not to fragile for everyday use. I might buy other Esties, but this is the first and for the moment I'm perfectly satisfied with my only Estie.

Edited by dandelion

I had a suggestion to pin a thread regarding your first Esterbrook. Let's hear your tales of your first Esterbrook and give a warm welcome to all the new members of the Esterbrook Fan Club! New collectors, please post here!

Cheers-

Brian

Yeah, my first Estie. If I could only go back....

Todd

post-17520-1241649938_thumb.jpg

post-17520-1241649860_thumb.jpg

Please excuse these crappy nOOb pics, they were my absolute first pen pics 11 months ago when I knew

(amazing that it is possible) even less about shooting them than I do now.

This is my first Este, a light gray SJ from Toulouse, a past, since evaporated regular here. (and I REALLY

miss him :( ) It is still one of my prettiest Esties though I quickly learned the SJ is a tad small for me. Todd

(Toulouse) was a great buddy, very helpful here, and his restorations are my benchmark for how an Estie is

supposed to turn out. I am lucky enough to have 3 other pens from him, a Blue Streaker J, Gray Streaker J

and a Copper LJ. I have yet to see a Blue Streaker as nice in the past 11 months as the one he sold me.

He did mostly requests from other fan-customers of his but the other 2 Esties he put on the MP here lasted

less than 30 min there.

Bruce in Ocala, FL