• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ed44

• Deirdre

• Jared

• dandelion

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has El Lawrence been discontinued? I can't seem to find it carried by any retailers.

I had the same fear, but it looks like Swisher Pens still sells it. Pendemonium and Jet Pens used to carry it, but no longer sell it.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

I was just writing about this ink in another thread. I'd be disappointed if it were to be discontinued - it has a wonderful colour, and also behaves very well in pens, not too wet (an issue I have with some Noodler's bulletproofs) but not too dry either. Colourful enough to be satisfying but not too ostentatious to use as a general purpose ink, either... shades well, but not excessively. A classic ink, basically. I think I'm quite fortunate that this was my first Noodler's purchase.

• 2 months later...

I've been reading about this ink for over a year now and never decided to purchase it. Now that I've gotten down far enough in the "to buy" list I find that it's gone from every shop that carried it: Swisher's don't have it, Greenman (eBay) doesn't, TWD in the UK doesn't, GouletPens doesn't. Nobody does !!! :gaah:

I've sent an email to GouletPens and I'll also be posting an ad here to see if I can buy a bottle or trade some ink for it.

JRD

fpn_1298521368__5461288919_f89b4e2fda_t.jpg

VadeMecum Leather: Notebook Covers, Notebook Folios and more.

Provide feedback on our current prototypes:

http://www.flickr.co...ademecumleather

I've been reading about this ink for over a year now and never decided to purchase it. Now that I've gotten down far enough in the "to buy" list I find that it's gone from every shop that carried it: Swisher's don't have it, Greenman (eBay) doesn't, TWD in the UK doesn't, GouletPens doesn't. Nobody does !!! :gaah:

I've sent an email to GouletPens and I'll also be posting an ad here to see if I can buy a bottle or trade some ink for it.

JRD

I sent a message to Greenman at ebay a few weeks ago about El Lawrence. He wrote back that he thought he would have it back in stock again (did not have a date though) and I've asked him to put me on a list for it.

El Lawrence reminds me of the mystical and mythical Mont Blanc Racing Green, so I hope to be able to try it. I have to have something to fall back on when my three bottles of MBRG run out.... :blush:

Great news: Just heard back from Rachel @ GouletPens.

They are most likely to carry the Noodler's UK Series

(and therefore EL'Lawrence et al.). If all goes well they should have it in stock in a couple of weeks or so).

Treecat: funny you should mention MB Racing Green. I have it (and and made sure I stashed a few bottles while I could still buy it).

But although I don't see EL'Lawrence as a substitute for it I like them both for the same reason: because they are not easy to define. Because they make you look twice and you are still not sure what colour it is you are looking at.

For an MBRG substitute I can recommend Noodler's Zhivago. I think of it as a better green than MBRG because it is darker (my taste) and much more water resistant.

Others have recommended Noodler's Sequoia or "The Missing Green" a missingpen.de exclusive which was introduced after MBRG was discontinued.

No affiliation with any of these sellers.

JRD

fpn_1298521368__5461288919_f89b4e2fda_t.jpg

VadeMecum Leather: Notebook Covers, Notebook Folios and more.

Provide feedback on our current prototypes:

http://www.flickr.co...ademecumleather

I just traded for a bottle and have it in two pens. a stiff steel nib and a flexy Esterbrook steel nib. I love it.

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3387580367_f8a1a5c1df.jpg

Great news: Just heard back from Rachel @ GouletPens.

They are most likely to carry the Noodler's UK Series

(and therefore EL'Lawrence et al.). If all goes well they should have it in stock in a couple of weeks or so).

Treecat: funny you should mention MB Racing Green. I have it (and and made sure I stashed a few bottles while I could still buy it).

But although I don't see EL'Lawrence as a substitute for it I like them both for the same reason: because they are not easy to define. Because they make you look twice and you are still not sure what colour it is you are looking at.

For an MBRG substitute I can recommend Noodler's Zhivago. I think of it as a better green than MBRG because it is darker (my taste) and much more water resistant.

Others have recommended Noodler's Sequoia or "The Missing Green" a missingpen.de exclusive which was introduced after MBRG was discontinued.

No affiliation with any of these sellers.

JRD

Thanks for checking with Goulet Pens and reporting back. I'll send a note to Rachel and see if I can get on a mailing or waiting list for it. :)

I agree with you about MBRG and El Lawrence. They're green inks with loads of distinctive character. I like the earthy look of RG, and El Lawrence looks to have its own earthy tones. Besides, how can one resist an ink that's said to have a smell like mud and motor oil? :D Thanks also for the recommendation of Zhivago and The Missing Green. I've liked the reviews of Zhivago that I've seen here, and I'll take a look at TMG as well.

I'm not a fan of bright green inks, but these rich earthy greens, I really love them. :)

I have it from "the man" himself that this is not being discontinued.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

does it stain like many Noodler's inks? i'm thinking of buying one to use in my Demonstrator.

-rudy-

After reading the posts, I also sent an email to Rachel at Goulet Pens asking about it. With all of the interest, I certainly hope Nathan is aware just how popular it is.

It's definitely the most unusual color of ink I've ever seen. And it's the unusual colors that seem to generate the most interest and stir the FPN Passion Pot! Just an observation...

- OPG4711

• 4 months later...

Has anyone used this new batch of El Lawrence yet? I'm wondering how it performs. I haven't had the opportunity to write with it yet.

This batch of El Lawrence from Goulet Pens is as expected--looks and performs well. However, though there is nib creep and the nib dries out quickly if left uncapped, but starts again fairly quickly when put to paper after a dry stroke.

I've checked Swisher ... can't find the El Lawrence.

Apparently out of stock; he's got some of the other UK colors at present.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I've checked Swisher ... can't find the El Lawrence.

Apparently out of stock; he's got some of the other UK colors at present.

I just found it at Goulet Pens. I might just have to try this ink out. I don't need anymore ink, but like that's going to stop me? Nahhh!! LOL

Just filled my Pilot Vanishing Point with El Lawrence. It flows well with no drying out that I've noticed. I love this ink. I may have to try some different dilutions to explore the shading variations.

I guess I heard that they maybe changed the formulation on this ink, or that the new versions didn't clog as much, etc.

Is this true, or has someone verified this at all?

I really love this ink, and would buy a bottle in an instant if I knew it wasn't going to be a troublemaker :)

Dave

.....the Heart has it's reasons, which Reason knows nothing of.....