Doric Jr. topaz & carnelian

gyasko

What's the difference between topaz and carnelian in the junior Doric lines? I have a brownish reddish orange-y Doric whose colour i would place somewhere between real topaz and real carnelian. In the catalogue it looks like carnelian is slightly darker than topaz.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gyasko

• ihimlen

• gregamckinney

• applguy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi

As far as I know, Topaz is slightly lighter than Carnelian and while Carnelian falls more into red/orange, Topaz is a bit more honey-coloured. I do own a vest-pocket Doric in Carnelian and when I got it, I had the same problem when it comes to telling which colour it actually is.

It would definitely be most helpful if you could post some pics, though having read your description I'm almost 90% sure that what you've got is a Doric in Carnelian rather than Topaz; I attach a pic of my VP Doric in Carnelian so you can compare the colours :-)

Take care

i.

post-15949-1239629050_thumb.jpg

ihimlen

www.opiorach.blogspot.com

www.forumopiorach.net

Hi. I had a look at your site before i posted -- great work -- but i still couldn't tell. Yours looks lighter than mine. One problem is that the plastic looks dark from some angles, but looks orange at others.

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo83/barutanseijin/IMG_1422.jpg

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo83/barutanseijin/IMG_1423.jpg

Hello again,

I've had another look at my post you mentioned (I'm just a humble co-author of that blog) :embarrassed_smile: and only then did I realise that I actually needed to correct the text - I'd captioned my vest-pocket Doric as "Topaz" while - to all intents and purposes - it's Carnelian, so I've just made the edits. That being said, I had a closer look at what's shown in the catalogue and I also searched for some images of both of the gemstones in question. I then made a "lil' collage" and here's what I got (attached)... It looks to me that we both have Carnelian Dorics ;) That reminds me I've actually seen a Topaz Junior-size Doric on eBay, and the colour was quite similar to the pic shown in the catalogue - it was slightly lighter than Carnelian and more golden-orangey rather than reddish/orangeish ;-) There is always a chance I might be wrong though (and that's the reason why my opinions shouldn't be taken as absolutely authoritative), so if anyone can prove otherwise, please let us know :)

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk60/ihiml3n/untitled.jpg

Edited by ihimlen

ihimlen

www.forumopiorach.net

So, is this Carnelian then? I always thought it was Topaz, but had never seen how close the Carnelian is.

http://gergyor.com/images/doric-topaz-or-carnelian.jpg

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Greg, yours looks close to mine, so if mine is carnelian, yours would be, too. I don't know about ihimlen's pen. It looks lighter than mine, but that could be product of the angle, camera settings, lighting, etc.

• 5 months later...

Greg, yours looks close to mine, so if mine is carnelian, yours would be, too. I don't know about ihimlen's pen. It looks lighter than mine, but that could be product of the angle, camera settings, lighting, etc.

...And here we have some nice pics of a Topaz Doric - Note that it's more honey-coloured rather than orange falling into red.

The pics come from a current 'Bay listing - no affiliation with the seller, photos are only posted as an example:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk60/ihiml3n/MVC-001F-115.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk60/ihiml3n/MVC-002F-114.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk60/ihiml3n/MVC-010F-101.jpg

Regards

i.

ihimlen

www.forumopiorach.net

• 11 years later...

Greetings Pencil Experts..,

I have a WAHL-EVERSHARP Pencil that I don't know the COLOR.., but its neither Topaz or Carnelian-
 What would the experts say?

Wahl_Eversharp_Pencil_full_length.jpg

Wahl_Eversharp_Pencil_Clip.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

India Pearl. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 10.46.34 PM.jpg

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com