Famous people's pens

SweetieStarr

In 1994 Delta was a sponsor to the G7 Summit in Naples and the company produced the G& Limited Edition, a three-piece set, with 1994 pieces produced. Canada's Prime Minister, Jean Chrétien received his pen at that Summit.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mags

• Freddy

• peterg

• Ursus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Curious I see a hand made fountain pen was gifted to Prime Minister Harper.http://50.115.35.242/projects/42598 this link has a few pictures of the pen and presentation.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

George Bush sr, the father used a Duofold. I have seen a vid a while back where Admiral Chester Nimitz used a Sheaffer Balance. Konrad Adenauer used a MB 149. François Mitterand used to write with a man 100 Patrician. Sarkozy uses a 149 or sometimes a Dupont Olympio.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 3 weeks later...

While in KC last weekend, I had the opportunity to tour the Harry S. Truman Library in Independence. The have a replica of the Oval Office as it was in Harry's time. On the desk there is a double desk set (Sheaffer maybe?) and right next to it, an Esterbrook desk pen in an eight-ball base.

Dale

"The worst of all fears is the fear of living." Theodore Roosevelt

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.pnghttp://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/PostcardExchange_sm.png

OK Ok OK. Save you all asking I mainly use my Parker 51 and (modern) Parker duofold.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Neil Gaiman was caught using a TWSBI to sign books.

In this photo, Neil Gaiman is autographing a poster with a Delta Fluida. The TWSBI must have gone dry, or maybe he reserves it for working on his books.

He's mentioned before that "The Pen" that he uses for actually writing drafts is his trusty Lamy 2000.

I was astonished to read akrishna59's conjecture that if Queen Elizabeth had been using the same Parker 51 since 1959, in his opinion an unlikely thing, it would have had most of its parts replaced. Dear God. I myself wrote with one Parker 51 for 36 years, from 1949 to 1985, when I lost it. During that time I was a student, a statistical clerk, and a writer and editor, and I wrote quite a lot by hand. If I hadn't lost the pen I would expect to be still using it today, 63 years, with probably no need for any parts to be replaced.

that is quite nice. you must have taken good care of it. somehow i did not know that pens lasted for so long without repair. wonder whether modern pens offer the same durability.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

A documentary on Queen Elizabeth currently being aired on FOXTEL shows the queen sitting at her desk using a Parker 51 with a gold cap (posted).

Intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

I was astonished to read akrishna59's conjecture that if Queen Elizabeth had been using the same Parker 51 since 1959, in his opinion an unlikely thing, it would have had most of its parts replaced. Dear God. I myself wrote with one Parker 51 for 36 years, from 1949 to 1985, when I lost it. During that time I was a student, a statistical clerk, and a writer and editor, and I wrote quite a lot by hand. If I hadn't lost the pen I would expect to be still using it today, 63 years, with probably no need for any parts to be replaced.

that is quite nice. you must have taken good care of it. somehow i did not know that pens lasted for so long without repair. wonder whether modern pens offer the same durability.

rgds.

krishna.

just out of curiosity will the members here pls. share if they have / had a pen which they have / had used for more than thirty years without undergoing any maintenance.

rgds.

krishna.

just out of curiosity will the members here pls. share if they have / had a pen which they have / had used for more than thirty years without undergoing any maintenance.

rgds.

krishna.

I have been using a 1960 Montblanc No. 22 for 32 years and it has not yet needed maintenance.

William Holden appeared in an ad for the Parker 61 in 1958. He is shown contemplating the capillary filler as it soaks up ink. He is apparently using some really weak ink, since you can see the pen through the ink in the bottle.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7077/6925162560_642a199cbd_b.jpg

Is that pen nib up in the ink? Is this a joke I have missed from previous discussions? or is this how the capillary filler worked? If so, it looks damn odd!

Edited by EnviroDAWG2

rgds.

krishna.

rgds.

krishna.

I have been using a Montblanc 124 Meisterstuck since 197? that has never failed me. A perfect EF nib!

Your produce alone was worth the trip...

A documentary on Queen Elizabeth currently being aired on FOXTEL shows the queen sitting at her desk using a Parker 51 with a gold cap (posted).

There was a Documentary that aired in 2007 in the US about the Queen's State Visit for the 400th anniversary of the founding at Jamestown and there is a clip that has a nice close up of her using her burgundy Parker 51 with the gold filled cap at about 4:09.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxfDjm4-2Uo&feature=plcp

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

rgds.

krishna.

rgds.

krishna.

Hi,

I still use a Parker 51 (Black with Lustraloy cap)that I was originally given as a birthday present in 1968.

It still works perfectly.

Regards,

Intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

rgds.

krishna.

rgds.

krishna.

Parker 61 purchased in 72 still in use today, works great, no repairs needed.

i wish i had a pen like these, with such a rich legacy and heritage (not brand or company heritage) behind it. although a pen is an inanimate object there is so much personalization that occurs with long use, it becomes a part of the person. even though i am too young to have such long periods of time with pens, i secretly envy people whenever they talk of inheriting a pen from their grandad or dad or some other elderly person. imagine the good wishes and blessing that gets transferred with such a personal object. it is like holding a part of the other person (most of these previous people used their pens for good purposes like writing letters to loved ones, christmas cards, making payments to buy a much coveted car or house in the past) and their life experiences in our hand everyday and somehow we continue the same cycle as we also do the same things.

if every pen has a soul it will always be happy with its new owner in whom it will find a mirror reflection of its previous father / mother, just the same way as people to a certain extent find a reflection of their parents in their spouses. and the previous owner - whether in this world or the other - will certainly not stop a smile from coming to his lips when he finds his cherished writing instrument in the loving hand of another man. somehow through the pen a link gets established between two people who have never seen or known each other.

a pen is not an object of beauty or use but is also about feelings and emotions, much about feelings and emotions than anything else, my friends.

rgds.

krishna.

Since many famous people have/had large incomes, they could accumulate fountain pens as they wished. Is there any evidence of famous individuals who used many different fountain pens, rather than showing Elizabethan loyalty to one?

• 1 month later...

A Parker 51 was my first (and still most prized) fountain pen. It was my father's, from the early sixties. It is nice to read of so many people of note also using (and having used) the Parker 51. Thank you for this most entertaining thread!