things I learned last night

kathywc

Last night I took some time to pack up some ink vials for trade. During this I learned a few things.

First off, I had to go to the local hardware store for some Teflon tape, as I had run out from all the work I've been doing on my bathroom plumbing. Last time I was there, they had this nice little 5 pack of tape that I chose not to get as I didn't think I could ever need that much. This time I actually looked at the amount of tape on the roll. The blue one was 1/2" X 260" for 99cents. This one was also packed in the five pack for $2.98. Or, one could buy the red roll that was 1/2" X 520" for 99cents. They were the same mil, etc. So.....I don't get why I should spend more money for less......:huh:

The I got home and thought I would pack the vials in the kitchen, since I would have access to a sink, counter space, and lots of paper towels. Since I don't have any pipets, I decided to use one of the many syringes I have at home. I chose a couple that the Vet had sent home to use with antibiotics with my cats since they don't have needles on them (like they would stand still long enough for me to use a syringe on them!). Unfortunately, my Mother-In-Law sees this, and decides that since I'm playing with syringes I must be trying to give my diabetic cat his insulin shot, and she keeps repeating to me that she already gave Syl his shot. Finally, I turned around to show her the ink bottle, and she decided that I was trying to give him a tattoo, and was really confused. :wacko: Can I just say that living with someone with organic brain dysfunction is a lot of fun....especially when they won't admit it's happening.

Meanwhile, while my MIL is upset and loudly trying to find out why I'm giving the cats a shot of ink, my SO comes in the kitchen, sees what is happening. I explain about the ink trading, and the response is "you're so weird." Luckily T was able to get Ms. Mac calmed down and I went back to the filling of the vials. Though she still wants to know why I wanted to give the cats a shot of ink.

So...what did I learn? Simple: don't fill vials of ink when the rest of the family is home.....and, that medication syringes work really well for filling the vials since they have a large opening, and can come apart for cleaning really easily.

kathy wc

We find rest in those we love, and we provide a resting place in ourselves for those who love us.--Bernard of Clairvaux

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kathywc

• KCat

• georgem

• KendallJ

I agree about the syringes. They are great for filling vials w/ ink. I have a couple that my nursing student daughter gave me (w/ long needles). I use them to fill a "traveling" vial so I have a supply of ink when I travel. I clipped the needle tips off so I can fill cartridges if I want.

Or I can hit the cat from across the room with a nice stream of water!! :ph34r: :ph34r:

Optimists are always disapointed when things don't work out. Pesimists never are since they expected it. That's why pesimists are happier.

Finally, I turned around to show her the ink bottle, and she decided that I was trying to give him a tattoo, and was really confused.

Kathy, you owe me a new keyboard. LOL. (No, really, it was out loud and I rarely have that reaction).

My mother comes to stay with us sometimes, so I really understand what you mean.

I thought for certain that the story would end with the cat jumping on the counter and spilling the ink! Glad it didn't end that way :D

My husband doesn't really understand my collecting but he is so endearing when he asks me to refill his late grandfather's Parker 51 (it's an aerometric filler) because he says I will do a better job :wub:

The cats know better than to get on the counter....they are watergun trained, and don't act out too much. They know not to get on tables or counters, or they suddenly get hit by a random stream of water that just falls on them from who knows where....... :ph34r:

though, now I've got to check out that syringe thing....<EG>

kathy wc-who threw the last extra keyboard she had away....the tea just wouldn't come out of the keys........

We find rest in those we love, and we provide a resting place in ourselves for those who love us.--Bernard of Clairvaux

Well, Kathy - I don't know whether to apologize for setting up the vial system and thereby your kitchen antics...

or just congratulate you on jumping in and having fun with it. :)

i know the keyboard thing - it was more painful for me when I dumped coffee on my keyboard in 1987. That was when it was an Atari and the keyboard *was* the p.c. And I was dirt poor. $90 of pain, pain, pain. And drinks were never allowed around the computer again. until keyboards started costing $20 and I wasn't dirt poor anymore.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

The cats know better than to get on the counter....they are watergun trained, and don't act out too much. They know not to get on tables or counters, or they suddenly get hit by a random stream of water that just falls on them from who knows where....... :ph34r:

Our cats, unfortunately, have learned where the water comes from so they are happy to stay off the tables and counters until we leave. :blink:

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Well, Kathy - I don't know whether to apologize for setting up the vial system and thereby your kitchen antics...

oh no.....don't apologize! I love the system! I think it is a wonderful opportunity to try out new inks and I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the other half of my trade.

and, apparently Kendall's cats are either smarter or less trusting than mine. Actually, since mine are both reformed street cats, I think mine are too happy to be finally in a home to think that we'd do something like spray water on them. Silly cats...... <EG>

Our two cats were adopted as kittens. Chloe, the orange tabby, is very well behaved. Jack, the gray and white male understands perfectly the feline version of NO!

feline translation of "NO!": 1. I'll keep doing this until I find out the human really means "no". 2. I'll wait till next time. 3. both of the above. 4. ignore the human noise.

In any case, both cats know to the core of their being that nothing bad will ever happen to a cat and that when approached by a human, something nice is going to happen.

As I type this, Jack is playing with a soda bottle cap in the kitchen and Chloe is lounging regally on her mat.

George

Pelikan Convert and User

The cats know better than to get on the counter....they are watergun trained, and don't act out too much.  They know not to get on tables or counters, or they suddenly get hit by a random stream of water that just falls on them from who knows where....... :ph34r:

though, now I've got to check out that syringe thing....<EG>

kathy wc-who threw the last extra keyboard she had away....the tea just wouldn't come out of the keys........

Now, Kathy - just how do you *know* that they don't get up on the counters when you're not watching? :)

I remember one time when I happened to come suddenly into the kitchen - and just barely noticed a movement in the corner of my eye. Yup, our 'well behaved' cat was hunkering down, absolutely still right there on the kitchen counter. Not a whisker moved - until she was able to tell I had noticed her. Then - in a flash - she was gone.

Just like a ghost, I swear.

So, unless you have surveillance cameras, I wouldn't bet the farm on the fact they're *actually* behaving themselves, just because you don't happen to catch them.

And that counts *double* for street cats. Real good at subterfuge they are... <_<

We have one. Quite a pet he is. Owns a towel on the edge of my desk. I sometimes pile stuff there, and am often reminded I have to take it off, clean up his spot, and lift him onto it.

Spoiled?

Right on!

We're still trying to cope with the fact that I've changed from 2% mlk to 1% - Calcium added, and he doesn't like it. Won't touch that, or whole milk, or anything other than 2%.

Sigh.... :bonk: Cats.

It's been nearly a year, and he still stands in front of the fridge, complaining that the milk quality isn't what it used to be, and he's not going to take it anymore!!!

But, we love 'em, don't we?

Sigh....

Regards

Gerry

Gerry-

Mainly I know they don't get up on the counters and tables because, until recently, if they had tried there would have been a pile of paper on the floor underneath it. They pretty quickly learn not to try since they slide right off on that paper. Unfortunately, in the last year, I've finally learned how to declutter, so now I wouldn't know.

However, my MIL is home almost all of the time, and she would catch them at it, and talk about it incessantly for a while if they did it.

kathy wc

Oh Kathy that was hilarious! LOL! I guess you'll have to resort to conducting your "habit" behind the locked door of your bathroom. But I can imagine then, your MIL might think even worse if she sees your ink instruments. :P

I need to find that teflon tape. I owe somebody 3 inks for sure right now!! ( :meow: )

Never lie to your dog.