Somewhere Over the Rainbow Preludes Fly

Karin

Somewhere Over the Rainbow Preludes Fly

My Review of the Shaeffer Rainbow Prelude

I decided that I needed another Shaeffer for my collection. While browsing Jim`s site, I gasped in wonder at the picture of the Prelude in the rainbow pattern. I stared and stared and fell in love. Rainbows are not only wondrous, but a symbol of diversity.

Flash forward to yesterday. I went to the post office and picked up the huge box that had the tell tale North Carolina return address on it.

I found my knife and carefully opened the cardboard then frantically searched through those little styrafoam thingys to find the treasure.

Then I opened the other cardboard box that held the Shaeffer case with my beloved inside.

I took a deep breath and opened the case. Wow. What an amazing way to put these colours on this stately pen. There is nothing cheap looking or flashy about the design. The gold filled pen and the Shaeffer clip, top jewel and cap ring announce quite clearly that this is a rainbow with the pot of gold attached.

After several hours, I decided to ink my new pen. But what colour should I use?Nathan should invent a rainbow ink. I finally decided on an Emerald Green cartridge The Prelude is a terrific writer. I like to post my smaller pens and this pen is perfectly balanced with the cap on. Not only that but it allows me the pleasure of staring at the entire rainbow effect.

I ordered a medium nib and it writes as a medium should. The ink flows well and the nib has a bit of tooth which I like. The grip on the Balance makes it a comfortable pen to use for long periods of time even for a lefty.

The only problem that I have with this pen is that I catch myself staring at it and becoming mesmerized.

10 out of 10 for this elegant, pyschedelic, trance inducing, happy making pen. :D

Fountain Pen Abundance

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karin

• georgem

• Leslie J.

• Elaine

Karin & All,

I left an image of the Rainbow Prelude on the screen a few weeks ago.

A short while later, a similar box arrived -- an early Valentines Day Present from my wife. :wub:

Like you I went through the packaging, opened the Sheaffer Box, and there was a Rainbow Prelude -- beautiful, mesmerizing, and, once inked, a fine writer. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Mine has a fine nib. I think from now on, I'll choose fine rather than broader nibs; they seem more suited to my hand.

Now, what ink to use? Herbin Bleu Pervenche is my current favorite, so into the Rainbow it went.

Multiple journal pages later, it's a fine writer. I have large hands, so I find that it's a bit small while holding it. When posted, the edge of the cap rubs against my hand so using it unposted is a bit more comfortable.

I think it's too nice to carry about and be subjected to the slings and arrows of a workplace.

When not in use, it resides in a place of honor in a glass topped case where it may be admired. :drool:

George

Pelikan Convert and User

Aaaaahhhh, When Karin wrote about the pen I looked it up and fell in love.:wub: I told myself: "self, no no, no more pens right now" :angry:

Now georgem has rekindled my desire (for the pen, down george!).

I reapeat, "self, no, no, no no, no, no......but it's sooooo pretty, noooooooooooooooo.....

Elaine