Pilot Custom 743 Vs 742

hari317

Hi All,

I took these photos to show how little is the size difference between the Pilot Custom 743 and 742 series. I have used my 743 FA and 742WA for the comparison.

I somehow used to imagine that the 743 is a good size bigger than the 742, however I found that it is not so. The only differences lie in the nib size and additional trim on the 743.

The pens capped:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Pilot%20Custom742Vs743/IMG_2841.jpg

The pens opened:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Pilot%20Custom742Vs743/IMG_2842.jpg

Identical barrels: except for the wider trim ring adding to overall length of the 743.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Pilot%20Custom742Vs743/IMG_2849.jpg

The caps: The caps are identical, the trim ring on the 743 is wider and has a wider clip washer trim ring. This means the 743's final cap assy is a bit longer, the clips are identical.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Pilot%20Custom742Vs743/IMG_2847.jpg

The section and Nibs: Minor Size diffrence in nibs, sections are identical.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Pilot%20Custom742Vs743/IMG_2845.jpg

The feed system: The 743 feeder has one additional fin to accomodate its longer nib.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Pilot%20Custom742Vs743/IMG_2846.jpg

Someone had asked how the 743's size 15 nib compares with the MB149's nib, you see for yourself:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Pilot%20Custom742Vs743/IMG_2850.jpg

I hope this comparison is useful for members who are unable to decide between the two ranges.

Best,

Hari

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Jezza

• bizhe

• cbaytan

Top Posters In This Topic

Hari, as always an incredibly careful, detailed examination! Thank you - I wish I could call on you for all my comparison shopping!

Tom

How do you like the WA nib?

I think the extra thick metal trim at the end of the 743 reduces the cap's contact with the barrel. Hence, it reduces posting-induced scratches.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Hari, as always an incredibly careful, detailed examination!

Thank you Tom!

How do you like the WA nib?

I think the extra thick metal trim at the end of the 743 reduces the cap's contact with the barrel. Hence, it reduces posting-induced scratches.

Lloyd, The WA nib is smooth and is tolerant to angle variation as well as rotation to a certain extent. I like the nib.

I had not posted these pens till now, but after you asked, I noticed the following: I think the diameter at the end of barrel is much smaller than the cap ID and the trim ring does not contact the cap interior when it is posted. Since the barrels and caps are identical on both the models, the cap ID equals the barrel OD at nearly the same point (line contact) hence the cap posted length of the 743 and 742 is also identical, I took a photo:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Pilot%20Custom742Vs743/IMG_2852.jpg

Best,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hari

Thank you so much for posting these photos. You must have been reading my mind, as the 742 is a pen I am very interested in!! Your photos and comments are very helpful. Thanks, jc

Your photos and comments are very helpful. Thanks, jc

JC, I am glad they were helpful, I am myself very interested in the variety of nibs offered by Pilot in their 742/3 line. My next nib will be most probably a 742PO.

Best,

Hari

Thanks for the educational post!

BTW I noticed the resin has a deep reddish glow if one shines a strong light source into the cap or barrel.

-Mike

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know if the 742 and 743 FA nibs differ in size? For example does the 742 have a #10 FA while the 743 has a #15 FA?

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

Does anyone know if the 742 and 743 FA nibs differ in size? For example does the 742 have a #10 FA while the 743 has a #15 FA?

They're different. The 743 uses a larger size 15 falcon nib.

Thanks for the reply. I think I might go with a 743 then.

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

Thanks for the reply. I think I might go with a 743 then.

It depends on what you're looking for in terms of flex. I really like my 743 FA, and use it in my daily writing because it's smooth, has great flow, and offers a bit of shading in terms of how it lays-down ink. However, if you want more actual flex, the 742 version is noticeably more flexible. I think my old 742 soft fine-medium had more flex than the 743 FA.

Great comparison. I like the detail of the trim on the 743, did the fonts come from the factory filled in with a dark lacquer? How has the feed on the 743 been keeping up with the ink demand in your experience?

Michael

Great comparison. I like the detail of the trim on the 743, did the fonts come from the factory filled in with a dark lacquer? How has the feed on the 743 been keeping up with the ink demand in your experience?

Michael

yes, the fonts came filled from the factory on the 743.

I have faced zero starvation or skipping issues with my 743, I have mostly used Pilot Blue/Black ink-from bottle.

• 3 weeks later...

very interesting pilots :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

wonderful pics hari as usual.

Unfortunately never haveing seen either I cannot comprehend te size of the pens. Can you post a pic in comparison with say a MB 146 and a Pilot custom 74. thanks.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

Take note something about the feed. The difference is besides the fin count. The FA I think takes a slightly different feed system.

The 743 feed in the photo above has a squared shoulder area.

The shoulder area is smooth for the feed systems of an FA (in both a 742 and a 743).

All the best,

Rommel

wonderful pics hari as usual.

Unfortunately never haveing seen either I cannot comprehend te size of the pens. Can you post a pic in comparison with say a MB 146 and a Pilot custom 74. thanks.

Thank you Junaid. Well your request prompted me to take some of these pens out from storage and photograph them together. I hope it is useful.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Pilot%20Custom742Vs743/IMG_6591.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Pilot%20Custom742Vs743/IMG_6592.jpg

From L-R: MB149, MB146R, MB145, 743FA, 742SM, 74SFM, M800-M old style.

Take note something about the feed. The difference is besides the fin count. The FA I think takes a slightly different feed system.

The 743 feed in the photo above has a squared shoulder area.

The shoulder area is smooth for the feed systems of an FA (in both a 742 and a 743).

Perhaps you meant: The 742 feed in the photo above has a squared shoulder area.

That is correct. The FA feeders do not have the short plastic wings on their shoulders. The FA has a better arch than the other nibs.

Regards,

Hari

Edited by hari317

Thanks Hari

That is exactly what I had in mind when I asked you. The comparison gives the measurements some perspective.

BTW are you an amateur photographer too? What camera do you use?

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

Wow--I don't currently own the Custon 74 sized pen. However, I do have some 743's and a 146. I didn't realize the 74 was actually longer than a 146. Granted, it weights much less, and the nib is smaller. Still, that's quite a comparison. Beautiful burgundy 146, btw.

Edited by Jezza

Thanks Hari

That is exactly what I had in mind when I asked you. The comparison gives the measurements some perspective.

BTW are you an amateur photographer too? What camera do you use?

Thank you. I use an inexpensive Canon point and shoot in full manual mode.

Wow--I don't currently own the Custon 74 sized pen. However, I do have some 743's and a 146. I didn't realize the 74 was actually longer than a 146. Granted, it weights much less, and the nib is smaller. Still, that's quite a comparison. Beautiful burgundy 146, btw.

Thanks! Yes, posted, the 74 is slightly longer than the 742 also. Also the M800 posted is longer than the 149 posted.

Best

Hari