Mixing Inks

DunhillGuru

I am curious. Are there any basic rules about mixing inks? Should you only mix inks by the same manufacturer, or is it OK to mix inks from different manufacturers?

I would like to mix Dunhill's black ink with Dunhill's blue ink to create ... yes you guessed it a blue black. But I am not sure if I would be breaking ant sacrosanct rules by doing so.

The difference between a winner and a loser is that a loser thinks they will win and a winner knows they will win

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MattN

• hamadryad11

• WendyNC

• loweevan

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the general is rule is mixing from the same brand is okay. I read of many here who mix between brands. The basic rule seems to be to mix and wait at least overnight to check for adverse reactions like slime, sediment, etc. Someone with more knowledge will be along soon to add better info. I hope this helps a little.

Edited by Imzadi

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember, amateurs built the ark.

Professionals built the Titanic.

It's your ink to do with as you please. It's suggested that you start with small quantities, measure accurately (so you can repeat it if you want to), and keep good notes on what you did.

Look for a chemical reaction in the mixture -- clouding, precipitation, etc. It's unlikely, but it can happen. If so, don't use that mixture. Also, some folks recommend setting the mixture aside for a while and using it the next day to see if anything has changed.

Realize a mixture may not have the same properties as the components. For example, if you mix a Noodler's bulletproof ink with something else, you may lose the bulletproof characteristics.

I mix inks frequently. It seems to be OK as long as the inks are PH neutral.

I mix different brands to make blues, reds, and greens darker.

I do this a lot with PR, Diamine, Sheaffer, and Parker ink.

I have not had a problem as of yet.

I have heard that Sailor ink should not be mixed. I have not used it, so I'm not sure why.

I have never mixed Blue-Black inks either (Like MB/Lamy) because of the iron gall issues.

Maybe this is true of Sailor as well? Someone with more knowledge can help with this!

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

I am curious. Are there any basic rules about mixing inks? Should you only mix inks by the same manufacturer, or is it OK to mix inks from different manufacturers?

I would like to mix Dunhill's black ink with Dunhill's blue ink to create ... yes you guessed it a blue black. But I am not sure if I would be breaking ant sacrosanct rules by doing so.

Many people mix inks in different ways however, I read somewhere never mix inks. I haven't tried mixing and I just buy available ink colors that please me.

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

There are no sacrosanct rules, there is only mad science!

Err... yes. Well anyway, some inks will react to each other when you mix them, which can clog or maybe even damage a pen. I think if you follow the advice of other people in this thread - mix it in small amounts, and let it sit a while before using - you'll probably be OK.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer, (1820-1903) British author, economist, philosopher.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I remember seeing somewhere here that there are two Aurora inks which should not be mixed together but I'm still fighting with the search feature to make it behave for me.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

I remember seeing somewhere here that there are two Aurora inks which should not be mixed together but I'm still fighting with the search feature to make it behave for me.

Apparently, Aurora Blue and Aurora Black should not be mixed with each other. These are the only colors Aurora makes.

I do not know if this warning applies to mixing Aurora inks with other brands or not.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Apparently, Aurora Blue and Aurora Black should not be mixed with each other. These are the only colors Aurora makes.

That's surprising information!

I do not know if this warning applies to mixing Aurora inks with other brands or not.

I've used Aurora Black to darken a number of blends with no untoward effects. On the other hand, I tried using Noodler's Polar Black and had precipitation in several cases.

A good tidbit to go by in mixing ink, is mix like with like, not so much the same brand ink with the same brand ink, but the same PH level ink to the same PH level ink. Acidic inks with Acidic inks, PH neutral inks with PH Neutral inks, and Alkaline inks with Alkaline inks. This does take a little research to figure out with inks are which, but such research is readily available. Of course PH reactions, precipitation most specifically, may not be the only thing to worry about, but is probably the most prominent chemical reaction when it comes to mixing inks.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I've mixed everything i ever bought except iron gall and India inks. Never seen a problem yet.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Regards, greg

This is not the first time I've read this, but I'd be curious to hear from anyone who's actually tried it. What happens when you mix these two inks?

A good tidbit to go by in mixing ink, is mix like with like, not so much the same brand ink with the same brand ink, but the same PH level ink to the same PH level ink. Acidic inks with Acidic inks, PH neutral inks with PH Neutral inks, and Alkaline inks with Alkaline inks. This does take a little research to figure out with inks are which, but such research is readily available. Of course PH reactions, precipitation most specifically, may not be the only thing to worry about, but is probably the most prominent chemical reaction when it comes to mixing inks.

Interesting, because one may have thought of doing well by mixing an acidic with an alkaline ink, to result in a gentle PH-neutral ink :)

btw, where can I find the PH-levels of inks?

I already know this source:

http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/ink/ink-and-ph-levels.htm