Requesting info on Relief nibs in English Esties

antoniosz

Brian and other Estie gurus could you give us a "short" intro to the amazing (IMHO) relief 14K nibs in the english esterbrooks?

There is no secret that I go after "good nibs". Eyecandy is good but the nib is the king for me. Accidentally I got two renew points (removable) 14K relief obliques that they were awesome. After that I recently purchased a basic BHR 2-L and now I have the 14K equivalent of 9314F, 9314M 9314B nibs.

My questions that prompted this message. Are all 14K relief nibs obliques? When do the removable relief nibs appear - and in which models?

Thanks in advance.

AZ

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• antoniosz

• Gerry

• Brian Anderson

• Hobiwan

Top Posters In This Topic

I also await enlightenment. You are indeed fortunate Antonios. I have been following Esterbrook for a little while now, and have not come across many Relief pens for sale. At least ones I can afford.

Hoban's book shows three BCHR pens with Relief nibs.

1915 BCHR eyedropper with ventless nib (American)

1920 BCHR eyedropper (American)

1928 BCHR lever filler (English)

None were identified as having replaceable nibs like the renew-point.

No information is given as to when the Relief screw in pen points were made, although 1933 / 34 is identified when the Re-new-point nibs made their introduction, and it is stated that Esterbrook initially fitted the more popular nibs into the Re-new-point line.

You might also consult Brian Anderson's Esterbrook site.

Esterbrook

Gerry

Relief by definition is (sort of) oblique. I believe the angle is somewhere around 7-8 degrees, so not as steep as an actual oblique.

A couple of common misconceptions on Esterbrook dating I hope to straighten out someday. Note Paul Hoban states 1933 is a speculated date for the first american V-clip pens. I believe this to be incorrect as the trademark Duracrome was first put into use in 1932, and this was the name for the material in the re-new-point.

Also, british made Relief pens were not made in 1928, rather somewhere around 1933 (I don't have the date handy, but it was not '28). I am unsure yet as to the dating of the 66 and 90 models which used re-new-points, but speculate them to be in a similar era as their american counterparts.

Relief nibs in steel came as early as the pens themselves. the Relief nib is really an off shoot of the 314 Relief dip pen nib. These were listed as nibs for "social correspondance and manuscript writing" and labeled Flexible. One of the first Duracrome nibs was the 1314, the famous flexible stub, and labeled as such. From there we later got the 2314 series in F, M and B sizes and the corresponding 9314 nibs. The 2314 and 9314 nibs were not, however, flexible by any stretch of the imagination, but still maintained that great Relief slant to the cut of the nib.

Other unusual early re-new-points in Duracrome found on Relief 66 and 90 models simply stated "Relief Med. R.Esterbrook + Co.", where the 90 models featured Osmiridium tipped nibs in a sunburst pattern marked "Esterbrook Relief Fine (Medium) Osmiridium Tip" and were two tone similar to the 8440 superfine sunburst nib. These are real lookers, the 90's with gold plated trim and levers and two tone sunburst nibs. Some of my favorite "sleeper" Esterbrook pens. There were 3314 GP renew-points made in england, but as far as I know, no US 3xxx, 5xxx, 7xxx, or 8xxx series were made.

This nib must have been quite popular in its time as it was the basis for the very first Esterbrook eyedropper pens. These are the famous "Relief 314" pens made by Wirt. Esterbrook must have made their early reputation partly on this nib (as well as the 048 Falcon and others), as early UK Relief advertising claims, "The ONLY fountain pen fitted with the famous 'RELIEF' NIB" and "No other pen has ever achieved such wide and instantaneous popularity as the 'RELIEF'"

UK Relief nibs have the tendency to be broad, broader, and insanely broad. I have one nib that needs some work, but once finished may very well be the broadest and most flexible nib in my stable. It's about 1/16" across the nib. Very few seem to be found that are Fine. Funny thing about the nib widths, advertisements for the Medium and Broad sizes claim the medium nib, "writes like the metal 'RELIEF' nib when worn a little.", wheras the Fine is listed as, "writes like the metal 'RELIEF' nib when new."

So, that's the long and longer of it. I may have missed something, but it's well past my bedtime. :)

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

• 6 years later...

By the way let me fill in a small tidbit in this (very) old thread.

We have a date for the Duracrome trademark:

Date Filed: 1931-10-24

Date Registered: 1932-02-23

from the UPTO: http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=71320401

A couple of common misconceptions on Esterbrook dating I hope to straighten out someday. Note Paul Hoban states 1933 is a speculated date for the first american V-clip pens. I believe this to be incorrect as the trademark Duracrome was first put into use in 1932, and this was the name for the material in the re-new-point.

Best-

Brian

Which makes the Company even more worthy of "gettin' some respect" than I thought. 1929 was the year of the "big crash", and by 1932, the US ecomony had hit bottom. With all that going on, the Company leadership decides "Damn the Depression. Let's sell some new, improved fountain pens!" That took a lot of courage, sez me.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein