Lamy 2000

acj27

Initial Impression / Design

If people want to know what minimalism is all about then show them this pen. Clean lines and no ornamentation because frankly this pen doesn’t need it. Bauhaus at it’s best. I can see why the design of this pen hasn’t changed in 4 decades. Indeed, it continues to look as modern and futuristic now as it did back then.

The finish is good…actually I lie, the finish is excellent. I defy anyone to look at the pen and spot the gap between the barrel and piston. The fit is perfect.

But (weren’t expecting that were you) I have to admit to always being slightly unsure if the cap has clicked on properly as it’s not a very big click. On the other hand the cap has never come off in my pocket so I guess it’s held on tight enough.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/acj27/IMGP0218.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/acj27/IMGP0220.jpg

Writing

Lovely smooth nib, hint of line variation. Reliable, no skipping, always starts and can sit uncapped for a few minutes (not too surprising for a semi hooded nib though).

However, here comes another minor niggle – those clips for the cap are exactly where I want to place my forefinger and thumb as it write and I can feel them. They don’t dig in exactly and it’s a nice pen to write with but you know they are there and it’s mildly annoying.

However, it’s a good size and weight which will be comfortable for many. My advice is to try before you buy.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/acj27/IMGP0222.jpg

Filling

Piston filler, so, good capacity. The ink window isn’t the best for seeing how much ink you still have but it does give you an idea. Also, the piston in mine does feel a little bit stiff compared to my other piston fillers but so long as it keeps working this isn’t a problem.

Overall

Excellent pen for the money but I do have to admit to having a few minor issues. I know lots of people are probably sitting there reading this aghast but hey, we’re all different. Now, must lock the door before the lynch mob getS here.

Non-poster.
Current loves - MB 149, Pelikan M1000

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gmorgan

• AlejoPlay

• Russ

• MYU

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review of a pen that has many fans.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I know what you mean about those clips: I can definitely tell they're there. I find them useful for guiding my fingers along the barrel grip, otherwise this is a seriously smooth and almost slippery pen to write with.

They certainly help the cap click shut though; it's when I post the cap that it's prone to falling off.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Some people complain about the metal 'ears' (I can't find a better word) on the section. No problem for me, as I hold my pens quite high related to the section: let's say, I hold my MB 146 above the threads. So, those thingies on the Lamy 2000 don't bother me.

My 2000 has a M nib, and is a wonderful writer, with a wet line. I love it. Great pen.

Thanks for the review. I did not like the metal "ears" on the pen I tested, and I am one of the people that find Namiki VP's clip to be "in the way". But I have always grinned when trying those smooth Lamy steel nibs. ;)

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

• 1 month later...

Another "Ouch - what the hell were they thinking of with those pins?" vote, I'm afraid.

- Jonathan

I am quite used to the metal ears. But a agree they are a bit odd. However, I have found the 2000 to be a very "wet" writer. I actually had my XF nib dressed/smoothed on the topside, (like Parker used to do with the old vacumatics) so it lays down a nice "thin" line..

Overall it is a workhorse of a pen that travels well and never misses a beat..

Nice review ACG. I really loved my first one, and I just recently purchased another to take with me for field research because I thought the first was pretty rugged. Also, I agree with the cautions about trying this out before buying if at all possible. I don't have a problem with the little "ears," but I could imagine someone hating them.

Nice review. Thinking about getting one soon. So what exactly are these ears? amnd is there a close up pictures of them that someone can share??

Out of thin air, quote of the moment (6/1/06): "boredom leads to creativity, as compulsion leads to innovation"

-Name your kids dudley, cause the name is feeling a little deprived =P

Nice review. Thinking about getting one soon. So what exactly are these ears? amnd is there a close up pictures of them that someone can share??

These metal ears, which are actually part of a ring-shaped metal spring inside the section, are the only parts which hold the cap by clicking in a metal ring inside the cap, as there are no threads or other things on the smooth body.

Also the ears mark the place where the section unscrews from the body. There is an independent section, but you can't see it normally! When unscrewed, you can remove the abovementioned little spring carefully and now have easy access to the ink reservoir in the body and to the section itself for cleaning etc.

/:)

Edited by saintsimon

KCkc posted a good "HowTo" on the Lamy 2000 - here's the link:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...17&hl=lamy+2000

There's some good pictures of the "ears" there in that link.

For me, I love the Lamy 2000 - I have a black and a stainless steel one... Probably one of the best values in my book... and great design to boot.

The "ears" don't bother me at all.

Dudley - head over to WorldLux, they have one in the display case you can try.

Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!

WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255

Thank for the heads up Chainwhip!

Those ear were so discreet in all the pictures i've seen i didnt even notice till now.

Edited by Dudley

Out of thin air, quote of the moment (6/1/06): "boredom leads to creativity, as compulsion leads to innovation"

I bought my Lamy 2000 from Tytyvyllus and the nib is a broad. I also had concerns with the "Ears" but I have to say that the more I use it, the less it is an issue!!! I thought at one time that this was an UGLY looking pen. Well, honestly, I still do but as with all the Lamy pens I have which is 4, they are indeed ugly but they are killer writers!!! They are as smooth as butter and these are one of the only pens in all of the fountain pens that I bought that do not need any modifications for it to write well with my style of writing.

I am also looking at buying another ugly pen, the Lamy Studio with the gold nib. Too bad it is a cartridge converter pen but that nib looks too nice to pass up.

BTW thank you for posting the the tutorial on disassembling the Lamy 2000. This WILL come in handy when the piston might get a tad sticky!!!

Great review and great thread!!!

Keep up the great work, yall!!! :lol:

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

LOL, savage....that's okay cause i think more than half the pens i see out here on the forums are ugly. at least you still buy the pens you think are ugly for thier quality. show's that you're not as superficial as the rest of us =P

• 7 months later...

Can one of you "experienced" 2000 owners comment on how well the cap posts? Also, is it balanced with the cap posted? I've seen a couple of places I know there are lots of theories on posting vs. not posting.... I guess I'm on the posting camp:)

The cap does not post "tight," although it does travel far enough on the barrel to ensure that it won't easily fall off.

The cap is very light, so posting doesn't change the balance of the pen, IMO.

I am, admittedly, not inclined to post when I write.

Strange, the original is 'Makrolon', maybe some trademark issues, here?

Bayer patented Makrolon (a Polycarbonate) in 1953.

Edited by saintsimon