Pilot Super 200 V

French

First Impressions (3/5)

On Ron Dutcher’s ebay store, the pen looked great, but, it looked even better when I opened the package that arrived from Japan. The pen looks brand new, even though it was made in the 1950s. I deducted 2 points due to the unique packaging that Dr. Dutcher uses, a hard eyeglass case and soft padded envelope. So, while the pen’s first impression is fantastic, the shipping material always gives me concern. However, in all fairness, I’ve purchased a few pens from Dr. Dutcher, and never have I had any issue with pens damaged in transit.

Appearance (5/5)

I don’t know the official name of the color of this pen, it was described as buckskin, which is an accurate description. If I were the marketing guru charged with naming the color, I would likely choose ‘cafe au lait’. The cap is gold frosted the bottom jewel is shiny gold tone, which matches the clip.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/french_lewis/my%20pens/IMGP0759.jpg

As mentioned in my first impressions, the pen looks brand new, no brassing, scratches dings. There is a strong imprint on the barrel that reads “Pilot Super 200V”

For me, the most interesting aspect of the appearance is that the feed is covered by the section. I have no idea what this is called, but I think it is pretty cool.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/french_lewis/my%20pens/IMGP0766.jpg

The second appearance feature to jump out at you when you look at the uncapped pen is the 0.3125” (0.8cm) ink view window. It is my understanding this is the reason for the pens being named “Super V” -- the V stands for “view”. The window is large enough to be very useful (which is very different from my experience with the Lamy 2000), and does a very nice job of showing what color ink is in the pen (Aurora Blue looks like a blue-purple ink when held to the light).

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/french_lewis/my%20pens/IMGP0760.jpg

Design/Size/Weight (5/5)

This is a lightweight pen g capped, g uncapped. It is 5.5” (13.97cm) long capped , 4.75” (12 cm) uncapped. Posted (which I only do for review measurements) the pen is 5.8125” (14.76cm). The pen is well balanced either posted or unposted. I have what I consider to be normal size hands for a man, and the pen is comfortable to use un-posted.

Compared to my Namiki Vanishing Point or even my resin Namiki Bamboo, this pen is absolutely gossamer weight. However, Pilot was able to make the pen light without the pen having a cheap feel.

Overall, the design is appealing to me. The cap has a slant cut top, like the Namiki Bamboo. Perhaps the Super V line was part of the inspiration for the Bamboo? The tail end of the pen has a gold plated jewel, which reminds me of the Parker 61

Nib (5/5)

14K, Pilot made in Japan, Japanese Fine nib. I’ve grown to prefer Japanese fine nibs, as my natural handwriting tends to be somewhat small. This nib lives up to all expectations, it is smooth, and, with the slightest of pressure it has some flex.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/french_lewis/my%20pens/IMGP0765.jpg

Filling System (5/5)

This pen has a very unique switch filler. While this filing system doesn’t seem to hold all that much ink, it scores highly due to its uniqueness. I have to admit, this is just a different take on a converter, but it is done quite elegantly. As mentioned in the appearance section, the ink view window adds an element of visual interest and sophistication to the pen. The window is part of the section, and allows the user to immediately know if there is a lot or a little ink left in the pen. Kudos for attractive and functional.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/french_lewis/my%20pens/IMGP0769.jpg

Cost and Value (5/5)

I should give this pen a 7/5 in this category. The pen cost $38, is in pristine condition, and is near 50 years old. Even when you factor in the cost of having the filler repaired, the pen was still much less than $100. I’m completely satisfied with the nib performance, the appearance and materials. The color reminds me of the buckskin beige Parker “51”, the cap also hints at Parker (at least until you notice the spring loaded clip and diagonally cut top.

Conclusion (28/30)

93.3%, as you can see, I’m very happy with this pen. My collection focuses on Japanese pens, and this, while not the most expensive, is one of the most attractive and unique. Big ink view window, crazy “hooded section” (if anyone knows the correct name for the covered feed pens please let me know). Hopefully with some maintenance and regular use, this will be a pen that will hold up to time and will be passed down to one of my children. This is a wel balanced, light pen that quickly becomes an extension of your hand while you are writing Even thought this pen doesn’t have some sort of maki-e or urushi, I think it epitomizes the spirit of japanese pens. Functional art.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• French

• georges zaslavsky

• wykpenguin

• FP Writing

Top Posters In This Topic

quite a highly unusual and sober pen ;) I like it

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time