Montblanc: John Pierpont Morgan

Bryant

Here is a little about the patron.

Born in April 17, 1837 and died in March 31, 1913, JP Morgan was an American investment banker, art collector, and considered by many the greatest financier in the history of United States business.

In 1892 Morgan arranged the merger of Edison General Electric and Thompson-Houston Electric Company to form General Electric. After financing the creation of the Federal Steel Company he merged the Carnegie Steel (A company created by Andrew Carnegie) and several other steel and iron businesses to form the United States Steel Corporation in 1901.

Son of a banker, Morgan went into the family business and became one of the most famous financiers in the history of business. After working for his father, he started his own private banking company in 1871, which later became known as J. P. Morgan & Co. His company became one of the leading financial firms in the country. It was so powerful that even the U.S. government looked to the firm for help with the depression of 1895. The company also assisted in thwarting the 1907 financial crisis.

During his career, his wealth, power, and influence attracted a lot of media and government scrutiny. During the late 1800s and even after the turn of the century, much of the country's industries were in the hands of a few powerful business leaders, especially Morgan. He was criticized for creating monopolies by making it difficult for any business to compete against his. Morgan dominated two industries in particular—he helped consolidate railroad industry in the East and formed the United States Steel Corporation in 1901. A crucial material in the extensive growth of the nation, U.S. Steel became the world's largest steel manufacturer after the creation of Federal Steel Company merged with the Carnegie Steel (A company created by Andrew Carnegie) and several other steel and iron businesses. The government, concerned about Morgan had created a monopoly in the steel industry, filed suit against the company in 1911. The following year, Morgan and his partners became the subject of a congressional investigation by the Pujo Committee in 1912.

Morgan had many interests beyond the world of banking. He enjoyed sailing and participated in a number of America's Cup yacht races. He was an ardent art collector, creating one of the most significant collections of his time. He later donated his art collection to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and his collection of written works to the Morgan Library—both in New York City. This was the main reason Montblanc commemorated him as a Patron of the Arts.

Enough about him... Heres the pen!

Initial Impression: 9/10

Wow! That was the first thing I said when I unwrapped this bad boy. I have to say this pen is so much better in person than in the pictures. After spending way too much money on a MB Copernicus, and being disappointed in person, I was very worried about this one. But a fellow member here advised me that this one was better in person. And he was 100% right. This pen is me all the way! Only reason it didn't get a 10 was because this pen is boxless :(

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/pentime/CIMG0360.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/pentime/CIMG0361.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/pentime/CIMG0362.jpg

Look/Finish: 10/10

I love the looks of this pen. First its sterling silver. The sterling silver and the carbon fibre weave on the cap is amazing! The contrast or the striped barrel, carbon cap and the smooth piston turner is remarkable. This pen is great, because it has a smooth barrel, but it wont leave my finger prints all over it all time. One of the best parts of this pen... The Mother of Pearl snowflake. I feel like Montblanc should have a MOP snowflake on all Limited Editions. It really make a huge difference.

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/pentime/CIMG0363.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/pentime/CIMG0369.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/pentime/CIMG0370-1.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/pentime/CIMG0372-1.jpg

Feel/Balance: 10/10

I was surprised on how light this pen was. It looks quite heavy but is only 55 grams. I like to post my pens and this one is quite balanced. The cap weighs 19 grams. It writes fine not posted, but I think its much better with... The sterling barrel feels great in the hand. Its smooth, but warm. Plus the section is not metal which is nice for long writing sessions.

Capped-14 cm

Body-12 1/2 cm

Posted-almost 17 cm

Diameter of the barrel (Largest part)-almost 5 cm

Diameter of cap-5.5 cm

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/pentime/CIMG0371.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/pentime/CIMG0373.jpg

Filling System9/10 Nib: 9/10 [/size]

The filling system is a Piston filler so it would have gotten a ten, but this one does not have an ink window so it gets a nine.

The nib is a medium, but after writing with my stub nib for the last two weeks, all my nibs have been boring. So, really it should be a 10, but a Mottishaw Stub nib has basically ruined all my other pens. I perfectly happy with my ignorant bliss, but now Im screwed. Anyway, its nice and smooth and boring... :)

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/pentime/CIMG0365.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/pentime/CIMG0366.jpg

Price/Value: 7/10[/size]

This pen was not cheap even though I paid way less than they sell for on ebay, it was still way too much for a pen. But I feel I got what I paid for. One reason it was cheaper, was that it did not come with the box. I would rather have the box, but what I paid, compared to what they sell for with the box is a significant difference. So I choose no box every time! I feel my price was about a 9/10 for value to drool, but if I had paid what its "worth" it would have been a 5, so I compromised in middle at a 7.

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/pentime/CIMG0367.jpg

Overall: 9/10

I was very reluctant to buy another POA after buying the Copernicus, but I am really glad I got this one. This pen is right up my alley and I hope this warm fuzzy feeling about it never goes away, like it is with some of my other pens.

Here it is with my other two Patrons...

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/pentime/CIMG0374.jpg

Edited by Bryant

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bryant

• RedRob

• Wael El-Dasher

• flipper_gv

Wow! I wasn't sure about that carbon fiber weave, but I can see the appeal in your shots. Glad you could get it!

Beautiful pen and review Bryant! Just curious, but what was wrong with the Copernicus?

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

No Bry the warm fuzzy feel about this pen will not go away,its simply a fabolously designed pen and one I'd be happy to own too.

So glad you liked it,I knew this is a keeper.

Interesting this is a light weight pen,it looks heavy.

Thanks for sharing this with us and as usual your pictures are amazing :thumbup:

Respect to all

Bryant,

Fabulous silver pen. I love the combination of the pin striped grooved lines and the carbon fiber weave.

And what a trio!!! :notworthy1:

Surely, now you will want to sell me your lowly Proust. :P

Congrats and enjoy!

Jeen

P.S. Now you must visit the Morgan library and art musueum.

It's one of my favorite hangouts.

http://www.themorgan.org/

Edited by jeen

great pen bryant ;)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Wow! I wasn't sure about that carbon fiber weave, but I can see the appeal in your shots. Glad you could get it!

Me too! I was really unsure about this one, but because of the price I knew I could "try it out".

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Beautiful pen and review Bryant! Just curious, but what was wrong with the Copernicus?

Thanks! There was nothing horrible about the Copernicus, its was just not as nice as I think a pen should be for that price. I liked the MOP star on top of it, and the guilloche was very nice. I done know, it just didnt do much for me. If it had been half the price, I might have kept it, but for the price of POAs, the pen better knock my socks of IMHO. If money was no object, I would have kept it. Plus Im not big on jewels on my pen, and the green stone in clip was... Well, its just not me...

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

No Bry the warm fuzzy feel about this pen will not go away,its simply a fabolously designed pen and one I'd be happy to own too.

So glad you liked it,I knew this is a keeper.

Interesting this is a light weight pen,it looks heavy.

Thanks for sharing this with us and as usual your pictures are amazing :thumbup:

I think you're right, I dont see this one going away, unless another grail pen like the Marostica comes along

Edited by Bryant

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Bryant,

Fabulous silver pen. I love the combination of the pin striped grooved lines and the carbon fiber weave.

And what a trio!!! :notworthy1:

Surely, now you will want to sell me your lowly Proust. :P

Congrats and enjoy!

Jeen

P.S. Now you must visit the Morgan library and art musueum.

It's one of my favorite hangouts.

http://www.themorgan.org/

Thanks Jeen! I dont think I will sell my lowly proust quite yet... :rolleyes: But a few more MBs that I just cant live with out... Maybe... If you have a skeleton 333, I will trade you :embarrassed_smile:

Thanks for link, very cool!

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Stunning pen, Bryant, beautifully captured in your review. At the pace you're going, you should have all of the POA series covered in another year or two! :D

Thank you! I dont think so... This is most likely it for POAs, unless the a newer one appeals to me and/or I get a great deal on one. The others dont really do much for me. I like the Charlemagne, but most of the are not me...

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Congratulations on the pen Bryant! And thanks for your thorough review with the historical background. I think that being aware of these details really enhances the experience of the pen.

Although this is not a model I would go for myself, I appreciate the craftsmanship, and especially the carbon fiber weave work.

Enjoy!

QM2

The on angle weave does add to the enjoyment of looking at this pen. Also the white gloves adds another layer to the picture as well!

K

I do like it the best of the three pictured. I dont know how much POA pens start at but I am half the time lusting after a Jules Verne and the other half, $650 for a pen, I ought to shoot myself if I buy it.

Wonderful photos and a great pen. We have very similar taste Bryant. I have the JP Morgan and the Lorenzo. The only other POA I am after now is exactly what you have in the middle, the Andrew Carnegie. Something very sensual about the AC pen.

Use them in good health.

cheers

Wael

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

Great review Bryant and I'll join the chorus celebrating your photography skills.

I'm not sure Morgan is such a positive character in my book, particularly viewed in these times of politically tone-deaf bankers. Art-wise, he was more of a collector than a philantropist and in this field his contemporary and neighbor, Henry Clay Frick may have surpassed him by the refinement of his collection. Morgan is a better known name though and that's probably why MB chose him.

Being more of a backward, vintage style aficionado myself, the modern design of the MB Morgan hadn't appealed to me yet. At least that was the case until you posted your review and pictures. I'm afraid I can now understand the appeal of this pen. It is sober and elegant. That questionable carbon weaving on the cap has a terrific excuse, now that you pointed it out, it makes the cap lighter and easier to post. The fact that MB restrained from using metal on the grip section is also quite commendable. All in all an ergonomic pen, which sounds like it is a pleasure to use as much as to behold. Now, who would've expected that, particularly in a recent POA series pen?

Thanks for your review of the Morgan Bryant and do definitely try to take a look at the Charlemagne in person... you never know.

Edited by RedRob