Things to use for wax seal imprints on envelopes?

Gran

Has anyone used something besides an official wax seal stamper or ring on sealing wax?

If you've tried something, or categories of some things, I'm interested to know what works well and what doesn't.

Will ordinary utility candles suffice?

Thanks much.

:)

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• linuxchiq

• hardyb

• Shangas

• rosemaryknits

I've usually used a coin. That way I can seal my letters with a portrait of the king :)

The wax sticks a bit to the coin, so I have to remove it carefully, but it's usually not difficult, just requires a few seconds of patience.

Edited by coldman

In my experience, ordinary candles (stearic acid and paraffin) are too weak and brittle - not durable enough to survive the postal machines. Add some of the red wax from a Gouda cheese and you're in bidness.

Your thumb makes a good seal imprint and it is hard to counterfeit. Just make sure the wax isn't too hot. :yikes:

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

I used to use a Navy issue peacoat button. They(the old ones at least) have steel buttons with a nice looking anchor and rope design. A paper clip run through the fastening hole helps to release it quickly before the wax cools and adheres to the fine detailing of the ropes.

I stopped using that when I got a monogramed brass stamp for my birthday a few years back. Now I'm all nostalgic and will probably break that thing out because it just looked cool in the saffron colored wax that I used to use.

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."

-Albert Einstein

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

BP/Pencil set trade

I can only add that the "flexible" type of wax will hold up better in the mail. Of course, I would recommend going with traditional red.

Thanks,

Mike

inka binka

bottle of ink

the cork fell out

and you stink

My girls find that if they dip the stamper thing in water first, that the wax will let go more easily. They also place it on the hot wax (actually plastic, I think), press lightly, then leave it there until the wax cools/hardens. Then it comes right off.

Cheers!

Rosemary

Visit my knitting blog - Rosemaryknits

I've seen the ornate end of a spoon handle used as the stamper, too.

Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

I've seen the ornate end of a spoon handle used as the stamper, too.

Ooooh! I like this idea, especially if the spoon is from some heirloom family silver.

Think only of the past as its remembrance brings you pleasure. J. Austen

I seal my letters with a kiss.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

You can also use you breath to create a moisture barrier that many traditional waxes may need to have in order to release the sealer from the wax. If you are using A Gargoyle this is said not to be needed, and I have never needed it on J Herbin's supple wax either. I need to try it with the Canadian two dollar coin I got a few years ago, a polar bear seal would be really neat. I have got to say that it's my favorite coin of any nationality that I know of!!

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Ive carved a few seals of my own in lead, used buttons, and used ready made wax seals. On all of them, except the lead, I lick the seal before pressing it into the wax. Doing so makes the wax release easier. I also wait 3 seconds after my wax pool is the correct size before pressing the stamp into it.

on a side note if any one ever sees a wax seal with the imperial logo from StarWars please contact me. I know there are a few places that I can get one custom made but I have seen them ready made as well...I just cant find the website anymore :(

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"

on a side note if any one ever sees a wax seal with the imperial logo from StarWars please contact me. I know there are a few places that I can get one custom made but I have seen them ready made as well...I just cant find the website anymore :(

That would be a great find!

hmmm . . . I could use the center portion of my Pink Five wings, but of course that is a Rebel logo....

I have also used the flat side of an Egyptian scarab. Some of them have quite credible hieroglyphs, and the originals were made for this purpose.

I frequently use a button from my uncle's Reynolds Aluminum uniform.

Dennise

The faintest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory.

-- Old Chinese Proverb

I have a signet ring which belonged to my grandfather. At least, that's what I assume it is — otherwise why would it have an incuse bust of Pallas Athene on it? He passed away about a year ago, & all Grandmother can remember about is that he was wearing it when they met in 1944. One of these days I'm going to get around to actually using it.