Montblanc Meisterstuck 82, fully rolled gold beauty

MYU

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Montblanc/MB82_capped-in-box3.jpg

In 1953, designer Albrecht Graf Goertz opened his design studio, Goertz Industrial Design, Inc. in New York. By that time, he had achieved some design notoriety after he emigrated to the USA in 1936, designing his first car in 1939 and eventually working for Studebaker not long after completing his studies at the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn. But it was at the milestone of starting his own studio, whereby business really took off for Goertz. His most notable achievement was designing the legendary BMW 507, as well as the Datsun 240Z. But what does Goertz have to do with pens?

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/people/Goertz_BMW507_portrait.jpg

"If I can touch somebody emotionally with a car, then I can do it with other products as well," was Goertz's conviction. His success proved him right, with commissions coming from every sector of industry, including Montblanc. Goertz was responsible for several design elements in Montblanc pens, the more prominent being the triangular nib/section version of the Meisterstück pen line. Unfortunately, Count Goertz passed away in November 2006 at the age of 92. However, his designs continue to inspire and draw admiration.

The pen in this review is the Meisterstück 82 (Meisterstück means "Masterpiece" in German). It hails from the 1960's era of Montblanc pens. At that time, Montblanc created this secondary Meisterstück series along side the 146/149 models. There was model number designation of 1x, 2x, 3x, 7x, 8x, and 9x (progressively going from all black resin to rolled gold cap, rolled gold body, then finally solid gold). The 'x' would be either a '2' or '4', to indicate a size designation. The 82 is approximately 130mm in length capped, whereby the 84 is 135mm long. The 82 is a little more common, and affordable, so it became my model of choice.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Montblanc/MB82_capped-in-box1.jpg

1. First Impressions (9/10)

The three things that visually strike me the most about the 82 is the triangular nib section, butterfly style nib, and faceted ink window. I selected it because I was very taken by the design of the triangular semi-hooded section and faceted ink window, plus the heritage of a famous designer. You can't help but give this pen a second look. I did... and so did my wallet. ;)

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Montblanc/MB82_capped-in-box2.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Montblanc/MB82_uncapped-cartouche.jpg

The 82 came in a couple of different box designs, such as a hard case spring snap enclosure, faux wood burl plastic, or simple fabric lined cardboard. This box is made of some kind of wood burl style plastic with a lined interior.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Montblanc/MB82_box.jpg

2. Appearance and Design (9/10)

This has very obvious hallmarks of Montblanc heritage, with the prominent black cap top puck featuring inlaid white Montblanc star and echoed yet again in a smaller version at the bottom end. Other design elements are an eye catching faceted ink window (artistic yet usable with a faceted overlay), and the clip with a nice subtle arc. There is also a cartouche section on the cap (a smooth boxed area free of lines, so that it may accept a name or initials imprint). In short, the best attribes of the pen are a piston filler (very smooth and reliable), ink window, and user serviceable nib section. To me, that's the perfect blend of a useful pen. Also, you can take the nib out and exchange it with another, if you so desire.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Montblanc/MB82_ends2.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Montblanc/MB82_cap82.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Montblanc/MB82_uncapped.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Montblanc/MB82_cap-clip.jpg

3. Weight and Dimensions (9/10)

I haven't measured the weight of the pen, but I'd say it's about average--right in the sweet spot between heavy and light. You can write for a long while and not feel any cramping. The pen is 130mm long capped and 145mm with gentle posting. I definitely prefer it posted, but I do it very gently to avoid scratches to the barrel.

4. Nib and Performance (10/10)

This pen has a oblique broad nib installed and is delightfully smooth with moderate wetness. In my collection, it has been in the top 3 for best nibs. I have to give it a '10'. :) And I have to emphasize the ability to easily disassemble and clean it--the section unscrews and the nib unit backs out of it, pretty much the same design employed by Lamy with the 27 and 2000 models.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Montblanc/MB82_nib-upclose.jpg

(Note: The discoloration you see is dried water residue that I failed to wipe off before the photo)

5. Filling System (10/10)

IMHO, piston fillers are the best. Yes, they're not the most versatile--you can't use cartridges--but who wants to when ink bottles give you so much diverse ink choice? ;) This piston works flawlessly. You can fill it completely with ink and leave only the smallest trace of an air bubble. There's a certain smoothness to the mechanism that I rarely find in most piston filler pens.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Montblanc/MB82_inkwindow-nib.jpg

6. Cost and Value (8/10)

Yes, Montblanc pens carry a price premium. But the good thing is that better deals can be had with vintage pens. Why buy new when you can have a used example for less (generally)? The only thing is that you won't find super deals like you do with other pens... even at a discount Montblanc pens often cost more than their peers. But to me, the Meisterstück pens of the 1960's are well worth it.

Final score: 9.1

An exceptional pen all around. The one you see has been sold to another FPN member... I know, how could I let go of it. Well, I managed to obtain a more user grade version for a decent price. So... I still get the essence of the pen and a little easier time on my wallet. ;)

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• kubalai

• goodguy

• mongrelnomad

Excellent review with interesting background info. I have one of these pens and the review very well sums up my thoughts on this pen. Personally, though , I prefer the 1940s-1950s lines to the 60s and 70s pens but this particular model stands up and that is why it is still in my collection.

Stunning pen.

I have no idea how could you let it go.

Thank you for the enjoyable and informative review.

Respect to all

Stunning pen. I have no idea how could you let it go.

Thanks, Amir. Well, I have a 'user grade' version (cap is dinged up a little, no box), so I was able to let the pristine one go... Have to cull the collection a bit, to balance the budget. :mellow:

~Gary

Stunning pen. I have no idea how could you let it go.

Thanks, Amir. Well, I have a 'user grade' version (cap is dinged up a little, no box), so I was able to let the pristine one go... Have to cull the collection a bit, to balance the budget. :mellow:

~Gary

I hear ya,I've been slashing down my pens to more then half but now my collection is much more homogenic and nice.

May I ask what nib have you got on your user grade ?

Respect to all

I hear ya,I've been slashing down my pens to more then half but now my collection is much more homogenic and nice.

May I ask what nib have you got on your user grade ?

I have a stub nib in the user grade, somewhere between medium and broad. Very similar to the one I just sold, except it isn't oblique. It's quite smooth, like most of the MB nibs I've encountered of this era. You have to give it to MB--the nib is the most important part and they shine in that department. :D

Very interesting review, particularly on the design elements and Mr Goertz. Has he designed other pens, besides this one?

I suspected those pens to be good writers, by the look of their nib tips. Your review has confirmed that. The pen has indeed a clean simple and modern design, with delicate lines and nice subtle details. Like the Aurora 88, the Lamy 2000 or the Persona, I suspect one has to hold the pen to appreciate how well the simplicity works out.

I can't help also to feel there is something in common between this 82 and those MYUs in your avatar. I imagine these modern designs to be prized by initiated people, such as designers, just like modern classical music is best appreciated by professional musicians. Are you one of them?

Edited by RedRob

:happyberet: This is clearly a beautiful and clean design but it may not be appreciated by those who prefer something more gaudy and elaborate. -_- For me the plainer the better.

Henrico

Very interesting review, particularly on the design elements and Mr Goertz. Has he designed other pens, besides this one?

I suspected those pens to be good writers, by the look of their nib tips. Your review has confirmed that. The pen has indeed a clean simple and modern design, with delicate lines and nice subtle details. Like the Aurora 88, the Lamy 2000 or the Persona, I suspect one has to hold the pen to appreciate how well the simplicity works out.

I can't help also to feel there is something in common between this 82 and those MYUs in your avatar. I imagine these modern designs to be prized by initiated people, such as designers, just like modern classical music is best appreciated by professional musicians. Are you one of them?

I'm not sure if Count Goertz designed any other pens. His design firm was commissioned to do a wide range of products, so it is possible.

The nib is essentially the "winged" nib design that Montblanc had established in their pens in the previous decade, with some minor refinements. The nature of how it is configured allows for some spring to it, almost semi-flex... I do wonder if there were some flexible nib choices available.

Thank you for comment, RedRob. I am not a designer nor musician by trade, but I do play classical piano and feel I have an eye for modern design. I do embrace other design types as well, but the sleek modern one tends to catch my eye the most. How about you?

Edited by MYU

very nice and neat pen ;) The design is splendid. I am sure you wouldn't mind a 149 in solid gold ;) But these are expensive items.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 weeks later...

An absolute gorgeous pen. I must have one!! Is it an 'ancestor' to the Generation pen, as I do see some similarities?

Sincerest Regards

Kubalai

“We are civilized people. We do not have to conduct ourselves like a slob."

I think the Generation pens were influenced by this particular MB line. But I have to say I don't care much for the Generations... to me, this was the turning point for MB heading into 'lesser' pen making. Don't get me wrong, I'll bet there are plenty out there that write very well, but the quality/fitment/feel is just disappointing (IMHO).

• 1 year later...

I recently bought this pen, the nib seems to be "fine". I want to know if I can replace the nib with something bigger. If so then how do I go about this. Thank You.

Beuatiful pen - and great photography to show it off! My montblanc 14 has an incredible nib and I see yours has a broad to rival mine :cloud9:

Do you know how much heavier the 82/4 is compared to a normal resin 12/4?

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

Grear review!

The MB 14 - the black resin version of the MB 8x - had been my first MB more than 15 years ago. It got me into vintage MBs and I still love the nibs of the 14 and the 24 and 22 I got later, too. They are a pleasure to write with.

Edited by piembi

• 3 months later...

Just purchased one from a fellow member. I've died and gone to FP heaven. :cloud9:

Edited by kubalai

Sincerest Regards

Kubalai

I recently bought this pen, the nib seems to be "fine". I want to know if I can replace the nib with something bigger. If so then how do I go about this. Thank You.

Took mine to an MB Boutique.

Sincerest Regards

Kubalai

• 1 month later...

Dear MYU - if ever you decide to sell this incredible pen, please feel free to give me first refusal :notworthy1:

Too many pens; too little writing.