waterman cf moire gold-plated

petra

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e361/psoesemann/Waterman_GoldMoireSet.jpg

photo: GoodOlNorm

Here's another Waterman cartridge-fill pen with a finish I'm especially fond of, referred to as moire or wave pattern. I'm not sure of the year, but guessing 70's. It's made in France. If anyone knows more about this pen than I do, please add your expertise! There's a serial number (?) engraved on the underside of the section. If I knew what it referred to, perhaps I'd be able to date the pen accurately.

It's a very pretty, slender pen that is 5-7/8" posted, 5-3/8" capped and 3/8" at the widest part of the barrel near the section. It has a nice weight due to the metal construction.

The nib is 18k medium running on the narrow side, with just a tiny bit of spring to it. It glides with the very lightest touch and is extremely reliable, even after days of non-use.

Since the original cartridges are no longer produced, I've been using an older squeeze-type filler, or sometimes Waterman short international cartridges (which I wish were available in more colors than just black & Flordia blue!).

I use this pen primarily at home because I don't know how durable the gold plate will be with a lot of handling. One thing I really enjoy about the finish is that the pattern is textural and results in a great tactile as well as visual experience.

The ballpoint has a twist mechanism and came with a working refill that oddly has tape wrapped around the end. I don't know why, but maybe I'll find out when I need to change it. The refill slides into a narrow plastic inner tube that is revealed when the end cap is pulled off. The end cap turns a delicate looking but thoroughly functional plastic piece that is hinge-pinned to the inner plastic tube. The plastic piece flips down to remove the refill.

Since I don't use ballpoints that often, I've considered selling the bp pen separately. On the other hand, if I am going to keep a ballpoint around, why not a beautiful one such as this? I don't know if I should keep the matched set together. Any thoughts on that?

The price range for this model seems to be in the $75-$100 range. The construction is solid. As a writer, the fp is reliable, and the moire pattern is very appealing. So this pen gets a great rating from me.

The more experience I have with Waterman pens, the greater my appreciation of the brand, both vintage and modern pens.

Hope you enjoyed the brief review! :)

Petra

Edited by petra

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• petra

• MikeNz

• jl2012777

• goldenkrishna

Hi Petra,

Thank you for this review!

Personally, I am enamored with Watermans from the 70s as well. They did some very nice gold or gold filled pens in those days, absolutely stunning, like this pen!

BTW, I found that you can use a Pelikan converter with most of these pens, with a single layer of teflon tape wrapped around the broad part of the nipple end of the converter. I hate the noise the CF converter makes when you move the pen over the paper :D, but this way it is nice and quiet :D, and holds more ink to boot :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I do like the look of those two. The clips are really good looking thanks for sharing.

Know what you mean about the finish, my rolled gold 61 has a frosted finish and marks as soon as you look at it, which means I don't use it that much.

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Those gold finishes are not very durable. Gorgeous they indeed are.

Thanks for sharing these.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

Thanks for your thoughts and advice! Wasn't sure if there was much FPN interest in these Waterman cf pens, but I REALLY like them. And I'm still happily surprised by how reliable they are, and that the nibs are terrific.

Petra

Thanks for another pic of your beautiful Watermans. Hope the modern day models are as good.

I would keep the BP personally, as it would be a shame to separate them.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

• 1 year later...
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e361/psoesemann/Waterman_GoldMoireSet.jpg

photo: GoodOlNorm

Here's another Waterman cartridge-fill pen with a finish I'm especially fond of, referred to as moire or wave pattern. I'm not sure of the year, but guessing 70's. It's made in France. If anyone knows more about this pen than I do, please add your expertise! There's a serial number (?) engraved on the underside of the section. If I knew what it referred to, perhaps I'd be able to date the pen accurately.

It's a very pretty, slender pen that is 5-7/8" posted, 5-3/8" capped and 3/8" at the widest part of the barrel near the section. It has a nice weight due to the metal construction.

The nib is 18k medium running on the narrow side, with just a tiny bit of spring to it. It glides with the very lightest touch and is extremely reliable, even after days of non-use.

Since the original cartridges are no longer produced, I've been using an older squeeze-type filler, or sometimes Waterman short international cartridges (which I wish were available in more colors than just black & Flordia blue!).

I use this pen primarily at home because I don't know how durable the gold plate will be with a lot of handling. One thing I really enjoy about the finish is that the pattern is textural and results in a great tactile as well as visual experience.

The ballpoint has a twist mechanism and came with a working refill that oddly has tape wrapped around the end. I don't know why, but maybe I'll find out when I need to change it. The refill slides into a narrow plastic inner tube that is revealed when the end cap is pulled off. The end cap turns a delicate looking but thoroughly functional plastic piece that is hinge-pinned to the inner plastic tube. The plastic piece flips down to remove the refill.

Since I don't use ballpoints that often, I've considered selling the bp pen separately. On the other hand, if I am going to keep a ballpoint around, why not a beautiful one such as this? I don't know if I should keep the matched set together. Any thoughts on that?

The price range for this model seems to be in the $75-$100 range. The construction is solid. As a writer, the fp is reliable, and the moire pattern is very appealing. So this pen gets a great rating from me.

The more experience I have with Waterman pens, the greater my appreciation of the brand, both vintage and modern pens.

Hope you enjoyed the brief review! :)

Petra

Nice review. Do you know what kind of squeeze convertor you are using? I am actually refilling some old Scripto cartridges that fit in the pen, but I would much rather use a converter.

Cross: ATX

Esterbrook: Dollar Pen

Eversharp: Standard Skyline, Demi Skyline

Parker: 2 "51" Aerometrics, "51" Special, "21," Striped Duofold, Reflex

Pelikan: M605

Sailor: Sapporo

Sheaffer: 2 Balances

Waterman: CF, Phileas

• 2 years later...

I have exactly this model at home, got it in 1986 from my godfather. I realize that there are no cartridges left, well original ones, so I cannot use this pen anymore :(

What else could I use instead?

Mike, New Zealand

I have exactly this model at home, got it in 1986 from my godfather. I realize that there are no cartridges left, well original ones, so I cannot use this pen anymore :(

What else could I use instead?

Mike, New Zealand

Hi Mike. :W2FPN:

For your C/F fountain pen, you have options. You can:

Refill an empty C/F cartridge, using syringe and blunt drawing needle

Look on ebay for original C/F cartridges, a few may still be around (save them for refilling)

Purchase a convertor from Waterman Repair, or from Pen Seller From France on ebay

Try the Teflon tape around the Pelikan convertor method that wimg suggested in response #2 of this thread; I haven't tried it myself

I hope you get it writing again. They're great pens.

Cheers,

Joe

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the help, will try ebay.. now to something completely different..

http://www.rubylane.com/item/510967-18kx20Goldx20Watermanx20Fountainx20Pen/Vintage-18k-Gold-WATERMAN-C

I have exactly that one.. Am I rich?? :roflmho:

Mike

how is your experience with the C/F so far? I'm just curious that how the cartridge or converter works. lol -----i have the same situation here, waiting for the some good news from you.

• 5 months later...