Envelopeless Letters

garythepenman

Hello All,

I noted that there were quite a few responses to wax seals and letter folding etc.. so I've taken a few pics of one that I use.

It's very simple and in fact as "Southpaw" was so interested, this particular letter is on it's way to you my good friend. Let us all know if it stands up to modern treatment.

What I haven't shown is my address on the seal side or Southpaw's address on the front, for obvious reasons. :ph34r:

Note: the top is slightly narrower than the bottom so that it fits inside itself.

Gary

post-36-1140743646_thumb.jpg

Edited by garythepenman

A wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Titivillus

• jbb

• southpaw

• CaptainGroovy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello All,

I noted that there were quite a few responses to wax seals and letter folding etc.. so I've taken a few pics of one that I use.

It's very simple and in fact as "Southpaw" was so interested, this particular letter is on it's way to you my good friend. Let us all know if it stands up to modern treatment.

What I haven't shown is my address on the seal side or Southpaw's address on the front, for obvious reasons. :ph34r:

Note: the top is slightly narrower than the bottom so that it fits inside itself.

Gary

SOmewhere on my computer I have 4 versions of envelopless letters including a hermetic that is suppose to be sealed by just the stamp. If I can track them down I will post them. They seem to follow origami notation on the picture.

Kurt H

Can't wait Gary! And I owe a couple of snails out myself, but the first shall be to you and shall be the very first I've done with a wax seal (other than a bit of practice at first, of course). :D

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Do wax seals actually stand up to the postal system? If so I may have to give this a try :-)

Allan

Can't make any broad generalized statements as I've only ever received one, but it arrived in great shape all the way from New Zealand to North Carolina, USA.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Do wax seals actually stand up to the postal system? If so I may have to give this a try :-)

Allan

I have had a wide range of results everywhere from "are you sure you put a seal on it" to a perfect seal. I use the old school stick wax and not the new glue gun versions so your results might vary. If you really want it to get through maybe putting the sealed envelope inside a bubble envelope with hand cancel on the outside.

Kurt H

J. Herbin makes flexible wax, which is supposedly able to withstand the rigors of the post...

Or you can do it the old fashioned way and have a servant take it by hand :D

Best use of a pen:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Gator_b8/DANNYSICOVER.jpg

This got me thinking about when I see someone sealing a letter in the movies and before that they sprinkle something on the open letter that looks like salt or something. Anyone know what it is? I assume it is like blotter paper but what is it?

Best use of a pen:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Gator_b8/DANNYSICOVER.jpg

Those of you who have or use seals do you have a custom made seal or do you use one that is commercially available?

Thanks.

Jim

Edited by ipse dixit

One ink to find them,

One ink to bring them all

One ink to rule them all,

and in the darkness bind them..

SOmewhere on my computer I have 4 versions of envelopless letters including a hermetic that is suppose to be sealed by just the stamp.  If I can track them down I will post them.  They seem to follow origami notation on the picture.

Kurt H

Sounds like the Mennonite foldnote found in Creative Correspondence (a book I think is great for some nice creative folds and doesn't include things I don't care about like boxes and bags.)

The foldnote folds such that the last fold is a triangular tab that comes down over the top right corner. A stamp over this triangle will seal the envelope. I found the book on sale at Michael's a couple of years ago.

tried to copy the link but failed - but there are many copies of this available new or used for $5 or so on Amazon.com. Authors are Michael Jacobs and Judy Jacobs. M. Jacobs has a new one out for "cards that flip, fold... something or another." Haven't looked into it yet.

Edited by KCat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

This got me thinking about when I see someone sealing a letter in the movies and before that they sprinkle something on the open letter that looks like salt or something. Anyone know what it is? I assume it is like blotter paper but what is it?

I believe you're talking about pounce or sand. It is sprinkled on to dry the ink. The first mention of it is around 1552. It works by capillary action in the same way that blotting paper would be used.

Kurt H

Those of you who have or use seals do you have a custom made seal or do you use one that is commercially available?

Thanks.

Jim

Yes of my 30 seals most are generic symbols or letters but I do have two that are my initials. A 3 initial from Van Cort instruments and a 2 initial that is done in hte Italian method where the initials are lined up in alphabetical order.

Kurt H

I believe you're talking about pounce or sand. It is sprinkled on to dry the ink. The first mention of it is around 1552. It works by capillary action in the same way that blotting paper would be used.

And if you watch teh film 'Shakespeare in Love' you'll see the Bard doing it all the time.

That film also shows how ugly quill pens really were after they were prepared for writing.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Heidi just sent me a great snail last week with the label 'please open carefully - letter = envelope" - very cool! I'm wrokng on a reply this week, H - a little looney with the sickness last week but we've turned a corner :) thanks!!

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

Well, the envelopeless letter arrived - THANKS GARY!

That was the good news. The bad news is it obviously went through a postal sorter machine and the seal didn't fare too well. The center of the seal (the impression) was unrecognizable as a significant portion had broken off. In addition, the seal had sustained some other damage with the right portion of the seal being sheared/abraided/rubbed off.

Looks like seals are best on the letter inside an envelope. Other ideas???