Omas extra info

alfredop

I have a small green celluloid Omas extra with a rounded body. It is a lever filler, any idea on the production date?

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/gennyesposito/DSCN0508.jpg

Ciao

Genny

Edited by genny

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alfredop

• roberto v

• sbroglia

• rroossinck

Since no one else has done it yet:

That's one of their lower end models. Worth USD $30-40, not worth the money to send to someone for restoration/repair. Since I'll be doing the work myself I am willing to give you $50 for it. What can I say- I'm a generous chap.

/me ducks

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

Genny, my guess is that it's from the very early 30s. The color in the picture makes it appear to be a green color. Is that true? Is it in useable condition?

Yes it a sort of green marbled color, the pattern is similar to the ones of the current Arco production. The pen is in working condition (I replaced the sac), and the nib is a 14K gold marked Minerva, which work very well. The pen is smaller than my milord (old type of the 80').

Edited to add details.

Genny

Edited by genny

Since no one else has done it yet:

That's one of their lower end models. Worth USD $30-40, not worth the money to send to someone for restoration/repair. Since I'll be doing the work myself I am willing to give you $50 for it. What can I say- I'm a generous chap.

/me ducks

I appreciate your generosity :ltcapd: , but for now the pen remains with me.

Ciao

Genny

Hello Genny

What you have is an Extra pen from the 1930' in one of the most beautiful celluloid pattern ever used in the pendom. It was made by Bayer and used only by Omas and Montblanc till the forties. The size should be the "standard" size but the nib is surely a replacement. Minerva pens were also produced by Omas as subbrand, but it shouldn't be a very big probem to find a correct Omas nib at least is't not here in Italy :roflmho:

Be careful at 2 things:

1-the caplip in this celluloid is extremely prone to cracks/hairlips so check for them. If you are lucky and your pen hasn't got any, be very careful when you post the cap on the pen

2-the gold plating wears off very easily, so be gentle in using the pen.

You have a small teasure there!

Wow genny, congratulation for this new find.

Did you find it in some flea market?

I must say I'm really envious of the number and richness of the flea market around Naples...

Ciao,

Andrea

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Hello Genny

What you have is an Extra pen from the 1930' in one of the most beautiful celluloid pattern ever used in the pendom. It was made by Bayer and used only by Omas and Montblanc till the forties. The size should be the "standard" size but the nib is surely a replacement. Minerva pens were also produced by Omas as subbrand, but it shouldn't be a very big probem to find a correct Omas nib at least is't not here in Italy :roflmho:

Be careful at 2 things:

1-the caplip in this celluloid is extremely prone to cracks/hairlips so check for them. If you are lucky and your pen hasn't got any, be very careful when you post the cap on the pen

Thank you for the informations and the suggestions. Unfortunately the greek band is already weared off in some of the lower portion and the lower cap ring is missing. Anyway the pen is beautiful, and after this rotation will be permanently put in my pen cabinet.

Ciao

Genny

Wow genny, congratulation for this new find.

Did you find it in some flea market?

I must say I'm really envious of the number and richness of the flea market around Naples...

Ciao,

Andrea

Yes, i found it in a flea market, but usually there are no many pens in there, that place is more good for old computer (such as Sinclair, Commodore, etc.). This time I was lucky :rolleyes:

Ciao

Genny

I did some other photos of the pen:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/gennyesposito/dscn0524.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/gennyesposito/dscn0528.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/gennyesposito/dscn0531.jpg

Genny

Hello Genny

Be careful at 2 things:

Thank you for the informations and the suggestions. Unfortunately the greek band is already weared off in some of the lower portion and the lower cap ring is missing. Anyway the pen is beautiful, and after this rotation will be permanently put in my pen cabinet.

Ciao

Genny

Here is my humble collection of small Omas pens.

By the way, your pen is worth a full professional repair!

Your pens are fantastic, I like very much the 6th pens from left.

Concerning your suggestion about repair, what is the situation in Italy (in this forum I learned a lot about repairer in USA)?

Are there repairer able to do this job in Italy?

Ciao

Genny

Concerning your suggestion about repair, what is the situation in Italy (in this forum I learned a lot about repairer in USA)?

Ciao

Genny

Genny,

of course there are a lot of repairman in Italy! I do a lot of stuff on pens, but the rings are beyond my possibilities. But as on the 19th october there will be a pen show in Milan which I'll attend, I see if I can find a repairer near to you, otherwise I'll pass you the name and address of a qualified man to whom you can send the pen.

Ciao

Roberto

Io sono di Livorno .... spero proprio tu non sia un pisano!!! Scusa la battuta...a noi livornesi piace scherzare un pò nei confronti degli amici di Pisa..... davvero una collezione splendida!! Complimenti!!

Edited by gicoteni

Ciao

Genny

Genny,

of course there are a lot of repairman in Italy! I do a lot of stuff on pens, but the rings are beyond my possibilities. But as on the 19th october there will be a pen show in Milan which I'll attend, I see if I can find a repairer near to you, otherwise I'll pass you the name and address of a qualified man to whom you can send the pen.

Ciao

Roberto

Ok, I will wait your messagge.

Genny

Io sono di Livorno .... spero proprio tu non sia un pisano!!! Scusa la battuta...a noi livornesi piace scherzare un pò nei confronti degli amici di Pisa..... davvero una collezione splendida!! Complimenti!!

Io sono di Massa, quindi niente rivalità! Grazie!

• 5 weeks later...