Stipula Junem Limited Edition Review

TheNobleSavage

First Impressions

I saw this pen for bid on EBAY before but I have heard absolutely nothing about it other than it is called a Stipula Jerusalem Junem. The world famous Regina Martini is the seller and if you don’t know anything about her, then check out her web page http://www.martini.business.t-online.de/ Her specialty is Pelikan pens to include rare/limited editions, new and used. She can get just about anything you are looking for in regards to Pelikan pens. She also has & sells pens made for her from several different companies such as Sailor, DaniTrio and Bexley just to name a few.

Ok, so what in the world is this pen all about? From what I gather, this pen is made by Stipula especially for Jerusalem Pens http://www.jerusalempens.com located in, you guessed it, Jerusalem!!! Also there is another Jerusalem Pen Store in the coastal city of Tel Aviv Israel. David Elispur is the owner of Jerusalem Pens and they just celebrated the 5th Anniversary of the opening of his store. So to mark his important day, he got with Stipula Pens and designed a fountain pen that would commemorate the 5th Anniversary. According to David, Stipula is to release 2 series of 100 fountain pens each, so this will definitely be a Limited Edition/Special Edition fountain pen. Here is the story that is on the paperwork regarding this pen.

Junem By Stipula

In celebration of Jerusalem Pens’ five year anniversary, I designed a limited edition pen series consisting of two pens, one hundred pieces each, to commemorate this event. I chose to name the series JUNEM, which, in my parents’ mother tongue means “love of my life”. This symbolizes the true love of my life- my three daughters, Shai, Lee and Gull, my reason for being. The pen was designed with great care and under the supervision of Mr. Luca Viti of Stipula Pens, and promises to give you great enjoyment and comfort in use. It has a sterling silver cap, black body and 14kt gold nib, and is available in the sizes 52-XF-F-M-B-STUB. I hope Junem will be the first of many pens yet to come to mark other great occasions or feelings.

Enjoy Junem

David Elispur

His signature was handwritten on the paperwork; this gave it a personal touch to it, kind of like his blessings!! One of my questions is why Regina Martini is selling these pens rather than David Elispur? That I do not have the slightest clue but this will be something that I can email and ask Regina herself. If I do get that information, then I will revise the review to add it.

Appearance/ Finish 5 out of 5

Like I said above, I really didn’t know what to expect with this pen. There really wasn’t any dimensions listed on the EBAY auction but I knew that Regina Martini is a well respected pen seller so I was pretty confident that I wouldn’t be at all disappointed. The pen arrived 1 week after payment and I was really surprised that it made it from Germany to California that quickly. I saved on shipping because I didn’t need the box but I did request the paperwork/warranty/instruction booklet. When I pulled the pen out of the box, I was really blown away with what I saw on this pen. The cap is a mixture of brushed steel and sterling silver. The top of the cap is flat with what looks to be an acrylic (jewel?) piece. The bottom of the pen has a brushed steel piece with the same material as the cap. The body of the pen looks like black acrylic polished to a very high gloss shine. This is a very sharp looking pen!!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Stipula%20Jerusalem/overall5.jpg

Design/Size/Weight 4.5 out of 5

Hmm, let me see… How do I describe this pen? Ok I will go in to more detail regarding what was stated above. The length of this pen is right around 5 ½ inches capped. With the cap posted, the pen is just under 6 ½ inches in length. The girth of this pen is pretty darn close to that of a modern Sheaffer Balance II and a Pelikan M600. So this is not a small pen but then again, it isn’t huge either. This is what I would call a medium to standard size pen, especially because the pen isn’t that fat. It can rest very comfortably in most anyone’s hands to include small all the way up to big ol’ mitts!! The pen writes nicely while the cap is posted but it will write just as nice without it. I guess it all depends on your personal preference. The rear of the pen is purposely tapered so that the cap would fit snugly while the fountain pen is capped. This is something that I normally do not see all that often.

At the bottom of the pen there seems to be a metal jewel or tassie that is made out of brushed steel that says “Junem 051/100”. The barrel of the pen has the white imprint that reads “Junem” and right below that is line art of a fountain pen nib. Right below that has the words that read “By Stipula” Moving on, further up the pen, there is a silver ring that separates the section and the barrel. Thank goodness the ring is further up the section and away from the nib. Some pen companies like to leave the trim ring that close to the nib and unfortunately this really increases the chances of corrosion. So Stipula did well in that aspect of this particular fountain pen model.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Stipula%20Jerusalem/LE1.jpg

The cap of this pen is made out of a combination of brushed steel and sterling silver. Surprisingly, this cap is relatively light especially due to the type of material that this cap is made out of. This pen has the Stipula trademark cap ring, the one with the straw and all that. I believe that the ring and the clip is made out of sterling silver while the rest of the cap is made out of the brushed steel. The clip on this pen has the straw pattern up 1/3rd of the way. The clip is spring loaded and it has a decent range of motion with a good amount of tension to it. Towards the top of the cap, which is a flat top cap, is the pen numbers from this special release. The numbers read the same as the bottom jewel, 051/100. The flat top is made out of the same acrylic as the barrel; this really compliments the rest of the pen.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Stipula%20Jerusalem/cap1.jpg

One thing that I found to be quite interesting is that the rear of this pen has a bit of a subtle notch and then the diameter is reduced by a bit. The reason for this is so when you post the cap on to the rear of the pen, there is a perfect fit. There is very little pressure needed to post the cap on this area of the pen. Once it is there, it is really not going to come off until to add a bit of force by pulling the cap off. This is a feature that you really do not see on too many pens and if I remember correctly, Conklin did this with the modern vintage pen. Another thing that I find pretty cool with this feature is that it keeps the cap from looking like it is bulging at the end of the pen while you are writing. It gives it a more lower profile or streamlined effect.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Stipula%20Jerusalem/overall2.jpg

Nib Design and Performance 5 out of 5

I was given the option of what nib width I wanted. The selection was XF-F-M-B-1.1 STUB. I decided to go with the wider stub 1.1 nib because I really enjoyed my Stipula 1.3 nib and this will be just a tad narrower. All the nibs are monotone rhodium plated 14kt gold that matches the metal on the rest of the pen. Unlike the standard screw out nib units made by The Bock Nib Factory in Germany, these are friction fit. These nibs are the same standard size as most of the nibs Stipula uses on its pens. It seems that the Monotone rhodium plated gold nibs are usually 14kt rather than 18kt on the two tone nibs. As far as I am concerned, 18kt gold nibs do not necessarily mean that the nibs have more spring or flex to them compared to the 14kt gold nibs. I used to be really bent on the higher the Karat gold nibs being better than the lower Karat gold nibs in terms of it having a softer feel, better spring, more flex and a better overall writing experience. This is really not true at all because, flex, spring, softness and smoothness are all things that are contributed by many other factors other then higher Karat gold. I found this to be the case with my Sailor 21kt gold nib versus my 14 karat gold Visconti Van Gogh Nib. I found that the Sailor was as stiff as a nail in comparison to the Van Gogh, which was extremely soft and has a wonderful spring to it. So with that said I can care less if Stipula opted with a 14kt gold nib rather than the traditional 18 kt gold nib.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Stipula%20Jerusalem/nib1.jpg

I think that the rhodium plated gold nib really brings out the silver in the rest of this fountain pen. So how does this nib perform? Pretty darn good!!! Since this is a 1.1 Italic nib or Stub or whatever you want to call it, the line width is on the broad side. Definitely not as broad as the 1.3 but still wide enough to be considered a light broad or heavy medium. The nib is a bit on the stiff side in comparison to the 1.3 but it is a pleasant stiffness to it. There is plenty of feedback while writing although this nib needed a slight amount of tweaking to it. The tines were extremely tight and the nib had a few skips here and there while I was writing. Also the pen was a little bit on the dry side, this nib was nowhere near scratchy, in fact it is rather smooth. To remedy the problem, I flossed the inside of the tines with a super fine Mylar nib smoothing disc while gently pulling outwards to lessen the pinch on the tines. This really opened the flood gates and caused this pen to really run a nice moderate amount of ink. This really changed the whole overall experience while writing. The skipping ceased while the ink really went from stingy to heavy in a matter of a minute or two of effort.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Stipula%20Jerusalem/overall3.jpg

Now the pen lays down a solid amount of ink and is really a joy to use. The down stroke gives you a very nice juicy line while the horizontal stroke is as thin as a razor. The overall line variation is very remarkable along with the crisp and clean curves and strokes. Surprisingly, with tall of the line variation this nib offers, Stipula didn’t sacrifice the nib’s smoothness whatsoever. This is not as wide and smooth as the 1.3 but it is still a wonderfully smooth nib with just the right amount of width for character. Even though I prefer broader nibs, the 1.1 Stub is a bit more practical for everyday use versus the 1.3. This is due to the fact that you can write a bit smaller on forms without it being unreadable but still have enough juice for signatures. As for the fit, this seems to fit 90% of everyone’s hands. The pen is comfortable while writing and I have yet had fatigue in my fingers or hand. All in all this is a pretty comfortable pen to use and rather light too. You don’t have to worry about your shirt pocket tearing or sagging due to the weight of heavier pens.

The Filling System 4 out of 5

The filing system on this pen is a typical cartridge converter. Rather standard and boring but it suits this pen which is on the standard to slender size. Surprisingly, the cartridge/converter filling system keeps this pen on the light side even though there is a lot of metal on this pen

Cost 5 out of 5

This is where I made out like a bandit!! I placed my final bid on Christmas night around 1130 pm and I snatched up this pen for $145.00. Shipping was like $8.00 or so because I didn’t want to pay $15.00+ for the box and what not. I have so many pen boxes; I don’t know what to do with them. I see no need in paying the extra money for a box that is going to be packed away in my garage. As long as I got the pen and the papers, I am very happy!! I seen this pen sell for around $200.00 on EBay from the same person so for the most part I think I got a pretty good deal. One thing that this pen didn’t come with is a converter. I was a bit surprised that it didn’t come with it but I am sure it was probably an oversight and I have plenty of spare ones in my spare parts drawer. So I pulled out a Waterman and the rest was history. There was no way I was going to make a fuss over a lousy converter, especially when I have a bunch of spares. Now if it was the Stipula convertible piston or the special Visconti Converter, then I would raise a stink.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Stipula%20Jerusalem/width1.jpg

Conclusion

This is a special limited edition fountain pen from Stipula at a really killer deal. The pen looks classy and writes extremely well. The pen is really a pleasure to use and it is practical enough for daily use. Even though this pen was made of Jerusalem Pens in Israel, the only place I have seen this pen for sale is on EBAY from Regina Martini. This is a well priced fountain pen especially because it is a numbered limited edition. Would I recommend this pen? Absolutely!!! The workmanship is excellent with a look that is like a “classic meets modern” style. I am extremely happy and satisfied with this pen and if you like standard sized fountain pens, then I am sure you will like this pen. Two Thumbs up on the “Savage Rating System”

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheNobleSavage

• wimg

• Dillo

• Karin

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review as usual TNS. I also got this pen on The BAY for just a few bucks more. My pens has the striated cap. And, I have the 1.1 stub. Lovely nib and great pen.

:bunny1:

Fountain Pen Abundance

Whoa... another Stipula! Wim must be beside himself ;)

Thanks for another great review - I too was watching this pen on da 'Bay.

Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!

WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255

Great review as usual TNS. I also got this pen on The BAY for just a few bucks more. My pens has the striated cap. And, I have the 1.1 stub. Lovely nib and great pen.

:bunny1:

Ohhh, I would like to see what that cap looks like, karin!! Great pen for the money IMO!!

TNS

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Another great review, Aaron! Just one remark: I see converters have now gone up in your ranking :lol: <GDR>

And I agree with you on something else. Karin really has to show us that cap! :bunny1: :bunny1: :D :lol:

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Another great review, Aaron! Just one remark: I see converters have now gone up in your ranking :lol: <GDR>

And I agree with you on something else. Karin really has to show us that cap! :bunny1: :bunny1: :D :lol:

Warm regards, Wim

The only reason why I did that was because an integrated filling system would weigh substantially more than a C/C. With all the metal on the pen already and then adding a brass piston filling system to the pen would be an unacceptable weight increase. As much as I hate C/C, there is a time and a place for them and this is one of them. I just hate the fact that companies use this filling method on expensive pens. For example, there are some really gorgeous looking pens such as a Sailor King Of Pen. The size of this pen is pretty huge and they really did their homework on the nibs and the ability to use some of the most unique speciality nibs such as the Togi, Naginata, Concord, Crosspoint and the King Eagle nibs. With a class act pen like this, you would think that they would use an eyedropper filling system as other Japanese pen companies would due to the huge nibs and feeds this pen has. Well, unfortunately they use a Cartridge converter, how sad and what a waste. It is like buying a Rolls Royce with a Yugo engine!!

Some will agree with me and some will disagree but that is one of my pet peeves. Not all pens should have integrated filling systems but neither should all pens have Cartridge converters either!!! I would expect a top tier fountain pen or a limited edition fountain pen to have an unique filling system to seperate the special edition or limited edition line with the regular line. Oh well, thats Wimg for getting me all fired up!!!! :lol:

TNS

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Hey TNS, just pulling your leg :D (looks like I succeeded :lol:). I realized when reading your review that it would be because of the weight.

Of course, I don't agree with you on the c/c bit, but you knew that already. I can't help it, but I just don't like EDs or anything with a sac. Way too primitive for me :D. A piston-filler, c/c, or even better, a Stip with a big piston converter will do me nicely :D. ;)

Hey, at least we agree on a few thing: some Stips, and their nibs :D.

Warmest regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Hehe he!!! Naw, I sure others here are not too sure as to why I dont like them, well they know now!!! :lol:

As far as converters go, the Stipula Convertable piston is probobly the best converter and the Namiki/Pilot button converter is second on my list.

As for the Eyedroppers, the Dani Trio has it right when it comes to ED. The shutoff valve is one heck of an invention. Primitive is fine for me because it is a method that has been tested and proven. The ink capacity is unbeatable and for a pen the size of a Sailor KOP you need a lot of ink to keep those large nibs running. I just think that a cheap 4 dollar converter cannot hold enough ink for a thirsty nib like the King Eagle nibs.

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Now there are two Stipula nuts! The race is on!

disclaimer: This is just an acute observation, no harm nor insult intended. No animals were harmed typing this message.

BTW: Great Review!

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

Hehe he!!!  Naw, I sure others here are not too sure as to why I dont like them, well they know now!!! :lol:

As far as converters go, the Stipula Convertable piston is probobly the best converter and the Namiki/Pilot button converter is second on my list.

As for the Eyedroppers, the Dani Trio has it right when it comes to ED.  The shutoff valve is one heck of an invention.  Primitive is fine for me because it is a method that has been tested and proven.  The ink capacity is unbeatable and for a pen the size of a Sailor KOP you need a lot of ink to keep those large nibs running.  I just think that a cheap 4 dollar converter cannot hold enough ink for a thirsty nib like the  King Eagle nibs.

Hi TNS,

Ah, I don't fancy very wet writers either, so I am fine with my converters :D. On top of that, I don't easily run out of ink, with 41 inked pens with me, and currently 8 bottles of ink (all in my carry-all :lol:).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

There is no race here, Wimg has it won even before It started!!!  :P

TNS

Hey, who knows, you may catch up some day :D :lol:

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Now there are two Stipula nuts!  The race is on!

disclaimer: This is just an acute observation, no harm nor insult intended.  No animals were harmed typing this message.

BTW: Great Review!

Hi PJMI,

There are a few more Stip addicts lurking here. They're more of the silent type, compared to me, that is :D :lol:.

Oh, BTW, the only race here, for me anyway, is to get all old Etrurias while trying to keep up with the new ones :lol:.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Well, I dont think most NORMAL people carry around 41 inked pens on a daily basis!!! But I guess thats why you are the MAD Dutchman!!! :lol:

TNS

Hi TNS,

Ah, I don't fancy very wet writers either, so I am fine with my converters :D. On top of that, I don't easily run out of ink, with 41 inked pens with me, and currently 8 bottles of ink (all in my carry-all :lol:).

Warm regards,

Wim

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Well, I dont think most NORMAL people carry around 41 inked pens on a daily basis!!!  But I guess thats why you are the MAD Dutchman!!! :lol:

TNS

Hi Aaron,

Nah, that was really for another reason, but it does come in handy to have that nick name :lol:

Warm regards, Wim ;)

the Mad Dutchman

I have already started working on my next couple of reviews and yes, one of them is a Stipula!!!  :-)

I have started working on my first one (makes a change from the ink reviews :D ). Guess what? It is a Stipula too :lol:.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I have already started working on my next couple of reviews and yes, one of them is a Stipula!!!  :-)

I have started working on my first one (makes a change from the ink reviews :D ). Guess what? It is a Stipula too :lol:.

Warm regards, Wim

Wow, I guess I have really fallen for Stipula!!! Even though I like my Bexley pens a bit better along with my OMAS and Pelikans, Stipula is on my list of top 5 pens!! I got word that Grasshopper is selling his Stipula Nuda so I took him up on the offer. That is going to be a wonderful looking pen!!

TNS

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Well, I dont think most NORMAL people carry around 41 inked pens on a daily basis!!! But I guess thats why you are the MAD Dutchman!!! :lol:

TNS

Hi TNS,

Warm regards,

Wim

Hi,

I bring aroud 50 or 60 inked pens, so...

Anyway, Stipula pens are pretty, but are too big for my hand. Honestly, I would buy one if they made it 2 times smaller.

Nice Stipula! TNS

Dillon--waiting for the Aqua convertible piston Novocento to shrink. :lol:

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon