Pelikan Lighthouse of Alexandria

Deirdre

First Impressions

The reason I selected this particular pen can be found in this other thread, so I won't repeat it here. Short version: I've been to Alexandria and touched some of the stones that used to form the Pharos (lighthouse).

The Lighthouse of Alexandria is Pelikan's fourth pen in their "Seven Wonders of the World" series, following The Temple of Artemis (I've been there as well), The Collosus of Rhodes, and The Pyramids of Giza (I've been there as well). Pens not yet in the series include The Statue of Zeus at Olympia (where I've also been), The Mausoleum of Maussollos at Halicarnassus, and The Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

I heard about it from Bittner, and when I heard the price, I dismissed it as a possibility. Then I saw pictures of it, and realized it was on my list of pens I'd like. Then I got my dream job, so then I bought the pen. I had to wait a few weeks. Ethernautrix went down with me to Bittner, which was very cool!

As far as packaging, the pen came in an impressively large cardboard box, easily a foot in each direction. Really! Inside all the layers of packaging was a glass lighthouse display with the pen inside. Bob at Bittner said he's never seen anything like the packaging on this pen, and I believe it.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2163/2336408703_302fde7ed8.jpg

Appearance & Finish

The pen is large, being based on an M1000-series Pelikan, and is plated in gold and lacquered (over most of the body) in dark blue. It has a smaller picture of the Pharos on the section, and the entire design looks "lighthouse-y," complete with four "portholes" lightly etched into the top of the cap.

Design/ Size/Weight

The Lighthouse is a very heavy pen. Because it's intended to stand in its base, the blind cap for the piston filler is quite heavy -- it wouldn't surprise me if it were about 15-20 grams. In addition, it's a large metal pen, so it is amazingly heavy. How heavy? I keep forgetting to weigh it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were in the 50-70 gram category, even without the cap.

The pen isn't designed to be posted. I think that, even for those who prefer posting, the weight and length of the blind cap would be enough to make the most avid pen poster happy. For those who don't like posting, removing the blind cap should help. I find the weight of the blind cap makes the front half of the pen feel lighter than it is, so I keep the blind cap on.

Nib Design & Performance

This series has unique nibs; while one can use any M1000-series nib, the Lighthouse nib has rays coming out of the breather hole, making the breather hole appear to be the source of light.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/2372788555_6355cde150.jpg

The nib background is white metal, with the rays, the pelican, and the border all in yellow gold.

Because it is a specific nib, it's only available in F, M, or B, each in 18k. The specialty nibs available in the M1000 series aren't available for this pen. I chose a fine nib, as that's my usual preference. It is the typical Pelikan fine, and has a nice medium flow. I've considered getting a second Lighthouse nib in B and having it reground to a cursive italic, though.

It has a humongous feed, which I expect is true of other pens in the M1000 series. It looks like it'll hold an entire cartridge's worth of ink all on its own.

The Filling System

As one expects with Pelikan, it's a piston filler, though this one has the blind cap covering the fill mechanism. I expect that it holds a boatload, but I haven't run out of ink yet, so I can't tell you. There is no visual indicator of ink level for this pen, and it's a heavy enough pen that you can't really tell how full or empty it is by weight differences.

Cost/Value

There's no question: this is one spendy pen. List price on this is $3,750; I got mine for $3000 plus tax. I bought it from Bittner, and bought it new. While it is expensive, it's very meaningful to me and very well made and thus I feel it was a good value.

Overall Opinion/Conclusion

My overall feelings are that this is a great pen for an important milestone in my life. It works well, it's reliable, and it's pretty. Even though I don't prefer gold furniture, the colors on this pen feel very Alexandria to me (for reasons I find I can't articulate).

If you could turn back the hands of time, would you have bought the pen or would you have passed on it and bought something else?

This is the one thing: I kicked myself later for not buying Dragon Pens's Jules instead. That's my one regret about purchasing this pen: that I couldn't also immediately get a Jules. I also passed on a David Oscarson Seaside and a Celestial, and I regret that as well. However, the Alexandria is the only piston filler among them.

Aside from that one issue -- there being three other strong contenders for a pen I want at this price point -- I'm very happy with the pen and will continue to love it.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deirdre

• MidnightBlue

• Sallent

• jakespeed

My, that's handsome.

Thanks!

Now I just need the matching Kynsey.

http://kynsey.com/colecciones/farobodegon.jpg

(Yeah, right)

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Nice and interesting review of the kind of pen that signifies more than pen as writing instrument. Its good that Pelikan is moving into largely unchartered territory that will give them an added kind of depth. Congratulations on your latest scepter.

Congratulations on your latest scepter.

Hardly my latest. I've had it for 3-1/2 months, but I didn't ink it right away because I wanted to wait for the 1-year anniversary of our visit to Alexandria, which was last month.

deirdre.net

3000 USD??? Holly Cow, and I thought I was crazy for spending $400 USD on a pen :ltcapd:

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy this pen for many years to come. It is beautiful. However, I don't think I could ever spend more than $700-800 on one pen.

The only thing that will get me to shell out that money is a Swiss watch, like the Omega Speedmaster am trying to buy :thumbup:

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

3000 USD??? Holly Cow, and I thought I was crazy for spending $400 USD on a pen :ltcapd:

Swisher sells the base M1000 for almost $500.

deirdre.net

The fact that you're actually using this pen is fantastic, in my mind. I got a Fahrney's catalog a few months ago with this pen in it and my wife was amazed at how much it cost. She followed it up by saying that someone who bought it probably wouldn't use it -- which makes you the perfect example of someone who buys pens to truly use, and not just look at. Three cheers!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

The fact that you're actually using this pen is fantastic, in my mind. I got a Fahrney's catalog a few months ago with this pen in it and my wife was amazed at how much it cost. She followed it up by saying that someone who bought it probably wouldn't use it -- which makes you the perfect example of someone who buys pens to truly use, and not just look at. Three cheers!

Bob at Bittner said, "You're going to ink this, right?"

I said I would.

He says, "Excellent!"

While I do have pens I haven't yet used, I never buy a pen as a desk diva, though I might buy a spare that spends all its time in a desk and is functionally a desk diva.

deirdre.net

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy this pen for many years to come. It is beautiful. However, I don't think I could ever spend more than $700-800 on one pen.

The only thing that will get me to shell out that money is a Swiss watch, like the Omega Speedmaster am trying to buy :thumbup:

My very sentiments, but then again I did spend 20k on a watch last year. It's all a question of priorities... I'm really skinny now because I haven't eaten for a year... :ltcapd:

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

Congratulation Deirdre, that pen is stunning!

Thank you very much for the review but also for sharing the link you have with it :)

Edited by JFT

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)

Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)

Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)

Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)

Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)

Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

My very sentiments, but then again I did spend 20k on a watch last year. It's all a question of priorities... I'm really skinny now because I haven't eaten for a year... :ltcapd:

I could a little bit of dieting, maybe I'll try Rufus's Expensive Watch Diet :thumbup:

Anyways, congrats on that pen again. Makes me want to get into Pelikan LE pens. I find most LE pens to be tacky but Pelikan always manages to make real beauties

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

That is so beautiful a pen, Deirdre. I remember how excited you were when you got it, and I know Bittner was every bit as excited when you got it. It is one special pen.

Congrats! I think you made a fine choice.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Wonderful pen! My philosophy Professor actually used this pen in the classroom. He went on and on about fountain pens...so this pen is THE pen that brought me to the dark side!

I haven't touched a ink pencil since. Thanks for the review.

Finally remembered to do some weighing.

Capped pen: 92 grams

Uncapped pen: 73 grams (this pen does not post)

Blind cap: 25 grams (counted in uncapped weight above, so weight without blind cap would be 48 grams)

deirdre.net

• 11 months later...

nice review and great pen :) :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Very beautiful pen. Also a great conversation piece.

More pictures!

That´s Paul Erdős on my avatar.

A man who symbolizes discipline.

English is not my first language, so please correct my mistakes, if you wish.